PDA

View Full Version : Hey WYS, how about that QB of ours...

mackey789
09-09-2003, 08:28 AM
Man, all i could think about while i was at the game on sunday was how dumbfounded you would be this week after watching Drew masterfully lead the Bills throughout the entire game, almost Kelly-like. I am telling you, after listening to your garbage all off season about how we'd be better off with someone like Jay Feidler or Jeff Blake, this is sweet redemption. And how about the play calling of Gilbride! In my opinion, we may have run the ball a little too much in the second half with the entire Pats secondary depleated. If Reed hadn't dropped two of his easy catches then Bledsoe's numbers would've been around 320 yards and 3 TD's. This team is rallying around our leader, one of the BEST QB's i have ever seen play the game. If you give Drew more than 3 seconds to throw the ball with some decent protection he completes it almost all of the time, with a touch on the ball that not even Jim Kelly had. Now that we have a defense without having to play from behind all of the time, we can more accurately assess Drew's all-around play. And how about that fat ass Sam Adams who can't play anymore! Wow, i love it. Don't try and burst my bubble this season if Drew throws a pick here or there, let me relish all that i can while the team i have followed for so many years finally is solid all around. No more Drew sucks this and his TD/INT ratio kills us that. I love the Bills and i love them even more with Drew at the helm. I can't wait for the rest of this season buddy. I just can't wait.

Ð
09-09-2003, 08:30 AM
Brings up a good point...

Was Gilbride's second-half play calling (run, run & more run) decisions done to protect the shutout ?

If so, I like it!!!

justasportsfan
09-09-2003, 08:33 AM
Rob Johnson had a better 1st day than Drew . O sacks and O int's.

Ð
09-09-2003, 08:36 AM
So, satistically, HE'S THE KING!!!! All hail RJ!!!!

BTW, were you at the game ? If you weren't, how could you possibly knowthe effect that the 12th man had on the team ?

Gawd I'm arrogant...I'll shut up now ;)

WG
09-09-2003, 08:38 AM
Funny how it's all Drew now mackey!

As I've said all along, if we minimize Drew and don't allow him to throw more than 30 times, our chances of doing well on O go up. But you speak as if 319 total yards is some sort of milestone or something.

Drew played well. His biggest contribution was not having any TOs. Well, he did have one INT but big deal. It was essentially meaningless and I discount it just about entirely. We'll continue to do the same each week if we utilize the same exact strategy.

So if you're gonna be looking for Drew to finish w/ over 4K yards again, if that happens, we're not doing what's in the best interests of the team.

"If Reed hadn't dropped two of his easy catches then Bledsoe's numbers would've been around 320 yards and 3 TD's. This team is rallying around our leader, one of the BEST QB's i have ever seen play the game."

Well, OK. But if the pass protection hadn't been what it was, likely 120 yards and 3 INTs may have been more likely. You gonna give the OL any credit, or was it "all Drew." My hat goes off to the pass protection that Drew got on Sunday! 2 sacks? That didn't have to do w/ Drew's mobility!

Just be glad that Gilbride & Co. actually balanced the O. We saw what happens when Drew is the centerpiece of the O all last season. We can't beat any team better than .500.

I'm actually a little surprised that it was so balanced quite honestly. I really didn't think Gilbride had it in him. I'm still skeptical that we can do that for a full season w/o Gilbride all-of-a-sudden changing midstream for no good reason. I think many are still concerned that that may be the case.

WG
09-09-2003, 08:40 AM
BTW, his short/high-percentage game was very good!

mackey789
09-09-2003, 08:46 AM
I credit much of Drew's success to the play of the o-line, which helped him minimize the turnover's. And by no means is it "all Drew". I am just telling you, after an off season plagued by you Drew bashing and calling for other horrible QB's its such a sweet revenge to see our leader play the way that he did, with a lot of help from the rest of the team. I want you to sit down and watch some other teams play over the next couple of weekends and you tell me how you think their respective QB's faired during those particular contests. Lets see here, McNabb looked AWFUL last night, Feidler is horrible every game, Brady is way overrated and it shows, and look at what happened to Favre this weekend. Im just telling you, sit back and just look at Drew play this game, and all of the intangibles that he brings to this offense. Our team trusts him right now, and they are playing well around him. If we can stay somewhat balanced we are going to be in for a treat this year. You definitely have to give props for his short and medium range throws this weekend as well.

WG
09-09-2003, 09:04 AM
I think Carr and Harrington, a couple of second year QBs played extremely well. Better than Drew.

Who cares? What is this nonsensical constant blind support for Drew?

We are the Bills, not the Bledsoe's!!!

We, the team won the game!!! The BILLS are 1-0, not Drew!

What, one game and all of a sudden Drew's amongst the best QBs in the league. Part of the reason we won was because Drew didn't put the ball up 50 times like he did last year. That's all we would have needed, is 2 or 3 picks.

Why can't you and everyone else be happy w/ a TEAM win?!?!

If this past game didn't define "team" from the fans to the O to the D to the STs, then I don't know what does!

WG
09-09-2003, 09:06 AM
Blake outplayed Drew! McNair and Brunnel outplayed Drew!

Big deal!

You gonna pencil all of them in for the Pro Bowl now?

Geeez! Let's give it a few weeks, eh!

WG
09-09-2003, 09:07 AM
BTW, I credit all of Drew's success w/ the play of the OL!!

The game would have been much closer if the Pat D had been able to dominate as it did last year! INTs would have been growin' on trees again.

I've maintained since this past offseason that we're going to have a top 5 OL this year. Everything I saw on Sunday supports that notion. Sure, our rushing blocking needs to improve, but it will!

Ð
09-09-2003, 09:08 AM
After railing ad nauseum about PRESEASON performances, I can't believe you just said "lets give it a few weeks" :rofl:

Then again, yes I can :D

mackey789
09-09-2003, 09:09 AM
"QB's its such a sweet revenge to see our leader play the way that he did, with a lot of help from the rest of the team."

"Our team trusts him right now, and they are playing well around him."

"If we can stay somewhat balanced we are going to be in for a treat this year."

Where in my thread did i say we are the Bledsoe Bills? Nowhere. We are a team and we played well around our Quarterback who had an excellent game himself. Our all around team is extremely balanced and i feel that you need to give our QB, who you have bashed for the past year, some credit. Come on, i know you can do it. It may hurt at first to admit that you are wrong. But its a step in the rigth direction. Give it a try, you will feel fuzzy all over.

The Spaz
09-09-2003, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by Wys Guy
BTW, I credit all of Drew's success w/ the play of the OL!!

The game would have been much closer if the Pat D had been able to dominate as it did last year! INTs would have been growin' on trees again.

I've maintained since this past offseason that we're going to have a top 5 OL this year. Everything I saw on Sunday supports that notion. Sure, our rushing blocking needs to improve, but it will!

Wow I don't think anyone ever knew that one of the QB's best friend was an offensiveline!:hammeru: :hamrhed: :)

mackey789
09-09-2003, 09:11 AM
Blake outplayed Drew! McNair and Brunnel outplayed Drew!

Big deal!

You gonna pencil all of them in for the Pro Bowl now?

Geeez! Let's give it a few weeks, eh!

Blake putplayed Drew? HA. Did you watch that game at all? Yes, he had more yards but his field management doesnt even compare to Drews. McNair???????? He played downright awful. He was sacked several times and fumbled as well. I didn't see Brunell so i wont comment on it. The fact of the matter is you need to give credit when it is due but you don't.

TedMock
09-09-2003, 09:39 AM
Drew played an excellent game that was called to showcase what he does well and not put him in situation to do what he doesn't do well. The OL was outstanding and they deserve quite a bit of credit. It's a team game so I can't give the OL full credit for Drew playing well, he does have to execute himself as well. I give the OL most of the credit, however, for any time the QB or RB's have good games. The INT was meaningless because there was NO other choice. There was nobody open and it was 4th down so you can't just throw it away. I agree with Wys as far as not trusting Gilbride. Drew play actions as well as anybody in the league but you need balance to do that. Henry got 28 carries....perfect. The OL makes the machine go. I put a lot of blame on them last year because you could just see how close they were to being good yet they'd get a stupid penalty or miss an assignment. Now they look great and I really only saw 1 mistake on one of the sacks. The other seemed like Drew stepped into it a little. Overall the line gets an A++. If they continue to play well, Gilbride will have no reason to "panic" and we can pound the ball with Gash leading our powerful running backs and let Drew do what he does best. On a side note I was very happy to finally see Sammy Morris catching balls out of the backfield. That's what he excelled at in college and it's about freakin time!

Stewie
09-09-2003, 10:49 AM
I think Carr and Harrington, a couple of second year QBs played extremely well. Better than Drew.

Who cares? What is this nonsensical constant blind support for Drew?

We are the Bills, not the Bledsoe's!!!

We, the team won the game!!! The BILLS are 1-0, not Drew!

What, one game and all of a sudden Drew's amongst the best QBs in the league. Part of the reason we won was because Drew didn't put the ball up 50 times like he did last year. That's all we would have needed, is 2 or 3 picks.

Why can't you and everyone else be happy w/ a TEAM win?!?!

If this past game didn't define "team" from the fans to the O to the D to the STs, then I don't know what does!

Wait just a damn second.. You credit the TEAM for the win but every loss last year you credited to Drew???? Explain how it works one way and not the other!

As for Drew not throwing the ball up 50 times.. Thats because he doesn't HAVE to. Last year he HAD to, because our defense was TERRIBLE. Sunday the D got turnovers and 3 and outs from the Pats, letting Drew and Gilbride know that they didn't HAVE to move the ball and score points, because a punt wouldn't have been the end of the world.

WG
09-09-2003, 10:59 AM
A++ for the OL TM?

I'd say A++ passing protection, but as to run blocking only a C. Not very good. The holes simply weren't there.

It'll improve, but it is one of the areas that needs some improvement. We can't get by on only 3.2 YPC each week, nor will we have to.

I realize that many here will poo-poo that fact that every aspect of our play was perfect, but the run D wasn't great. Nor were our punt coverages or returns. There is room for improvement in all three of those areas based on Sunday's performance.

Crinoline
09-09-2003, 11:01 AM
I feel confident in the team with Drew at the helm. Just look at the last three quarterbacks to play and win in the superbowl. Drew is far superior to all of them. If the defense can keep up the intensity and the O-line continues to play well I truly believe Drew can lead the team to the promised land.

Go Bills!!!

Judge
09-09-2003, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Ð
Was Gilbride's second-half play calling (run, run & more run) decisions done to protect the shutout ?

If so, I like it!!!

Duh!

WG
09-09-2003, 11:10 AM
LOL Judge...

STAMPY
09-09-2003, 01:37 PM
your a moron... drew bledsoe has proved over the years he is no doubt a great quarterback. the numbers don't lie. and if he continues what he has done next 4-5 years and grabs a ring he'll be a no doubt hall of famne qb. harrington is so overrated, he is not that great. he has a weak arm. he does not have the strength of a vick, bledsoe, favre, collins, manning.

Kelly The Dog
09-09-2003, 02:21 PM
Drew played an excellent game, with or without stats. How anyone can argue that, in a 31-0 game is beyond me.

As important as the defense getting a shutout were two Bledsoe-executed drives that put us up 14-0. Got the fans insane. Got the Pats spooked. Got the defense fired up as hell. Got the monkey off our back about Bellijerk.

Drew was as important to this team in this game than Spikes and Milloy and Adams, without question.

He didnt make any dumb passes.
He hung in when there was pressure.
He delivered strikes all over the field with a variety of passes to a huge assortment of receivers.
He even threw passes he doesnt throw well, like screens, very effectively.
He had a gorgeous bomb to Moulds. He had a sure TD bomb dropped by Reed. He had a sure TD to Moulds taken away by a penalty that was AKA a 1 yard TD run by TH. He had another potential TD pass to Reed turned into a 24 yard interference call that gave us a 1st at the 20 and set up another score.

He recovered a fumble on a terrible snap by diving on the ball.

He played and orchestrated a fantastic game, 31-0 (wihout a running game, right, wys?) stats notwithstanding.

WG
09-09-2003, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by BuffaloBillsSTAMPEDE
your a moron... drew bledsoe has proved over the years he is no doubt a great quarterback. the numbers don't lie. and if he continues what he has done next 4-5 years and grabs a ring he'll be a no doubt hall of famne qb. harrington is so overrated, he is not that great. he has a weak arm. he does not have the strength of a vick, bledsoe, favre, collins, manning.

Right!

His 13 TD/16 INT season, his 17/13, 15/15, 25/27, and 19/21 seasons really highlight that!

Excellence to be sure!

Last year was really, really good too. Those 18 TOs in 7 games weren't nearly as big a deal as everyone suggests! Then again, it was all against teams better than .500 and PO caliber opponents, so big deal.

WG
09-09-2003, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Kelly The Dog
Drew played an excellent game, with or without stats. How anyone can argue that, in a 31-0 game is beyond me.

As important as the defense getting a shutout were two Bledsoe-executed drives that put us up 14-0. Got the fans insane. Got the Pats spooked. Got the defense fired up as hell. Got the monkey off our back about Bellijerk.

Drew was as important to this team in this game than Spikes and Milloy and Adams, without question.

He didnt make any dumb passes.
He hung in when there was pressure.
He delivered strikes all over the field with a variety of passes to a huge assortment of receivers.
He even threw passes he doesnt throw well, like screens, very effectively.
He had a gorgeous bomb to Moulds. He had a sure TD bomb dropped by Reed. He had a sure TD to Moulds taken away by a penalty that was AKA a 1 yard TD run by TH. He had another potential TD pass to Reed turned into a 24 yard interference call that gave us a 1st at the 20 and set up another score.

He recovered a fumble on a terrible snap by diving on the ball.

He played and orchestrated a fantastic game, 31-0 (wihout a running game, right, wys?) stats notwithstanding.

Once again Kelly, did I EVER say that Drew didn't play a good game?

EVER???

I don't believe I did!

So since you guys insist on "those who are wrong about things fessing up", how 'bout strapping some stones on and starting us off there Kelly?

Or if you prefer, perhaps you'd like to find my quotes saying that Drew played poorly!

I'd say one or the other is in order!

Kelly The Dog
09-09-2003, 02:37 PM
I could guarantee you that I could find games that you said drew played poorly in. Probably dozens. Gimme something hard to find. Like when you've been proven right.

saviorbledsoe
09-09-2003, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by mackey789
Man, all i could think about while i was at the game on sunday was how dumbfounded you would be this week after watching Drew masterfully lead the Bills throughout the entire game, almost Kelly-like. I am telling you, after listening to your garbage all off season about how we'd be better off with someone like Jay Feidler or Jeff Blake, this is sweet redemption. And how about the play calling of Gilbride! In my opinion, we may have run the ball a little too much in the second half with the entire Pats secondary depleated. If Reed hadn't dropped two of his easy catches then Bledsoe's numbers would've been around 320 yards and 3 TD's. This team is rallying around our leader, one of the BEST QB's i have ever seen play the game. If you give Drew more than 3 seconds to throw the ball with some decent protection he completes it almost all of the time, with a touch on the ball that not even Jim Kelly had. Now that we have a defense without having to play from behind all of the time, we can more accurately assess Drew's all-around play. And how about that fat ass Sam Adams who can't play anymore! Wow, i love it. Don't try and burst my bubble this season if Drew throws a pick here or there, let me relish all that i can while the team i have followed for so many years finally is solid all around. No more Drew sucks this and his TD/INT ratio kills us that. I love the Bills and i love them even more with Drew at the helm. I can't wait for the rest of this season buddy. I just can't wait.

:heart:

Kelly The Dog
09-09-2003, 02:41 PM
Besides, I don't believe I referenced you in that thread. I said Drew played excellent, and then listed the reasons, saying I couldnt imagine anyone (meaning six billion on Earth including you) not thinking this was an excellent quarterbacked game. Then I listed a bunch of reasons. You may refute them if you wish.

(Okay, so I referenced you at the bottom about the ridiculous YPC rant but not about Bledsoe)

WG
09-09-2003, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by Kelly The Dog
I could guarantee you that I could find games that you said drew played poorly in. Probably dozens. Gimme something hard to find. Like when you've been proven right.

Yeah, and did he?

BUT not THIS one! So why is everyone hammering on me for sayinjg that I said Drew sucked in this game?

He played well is all I said. In fact I think I said very well! But it was spectacular, it was solid+! I've been sayin' for months now that if Drew doesn't toss any INTs then it's a good game minimum.

As to him having played poorly in "dozens of games", facts are facts. He played poorly in a whole bunch of games last year. Just b/c homer central decides to ignore it doesn't mean he didn't!

Also, one game does not a season make! It was a huge game and one that IMO we desparately needed to win. But you'll see at the end of the season that the Pats are not gonna be that good a team. They'll be lucky to break much more than .500. So to talk about them as if they're the defending SB champs is to take some serious liberties.

If they're only an average team, then I fail to see how this particular game should mean that everything about this team is tops now all of a sudden. And don't forget, you're talking to someone who has us finishing 12-4, so I'm not predicting the gloom and doom 9-7 or 10-6 that some are. But I gotta tell ya, anyhthing less than 11-5 and I'm gonna be highly disappointed.

WG
09-09-2003, 03:40 PM
BTW, he also didn't remind me of Montana in this game.

Kelly The Dog
09-09-2003, 05:12 PM
31-0 isn't good enough? How many games did Montana quarterback to 31-0 wins. You go so crazy reciting statistics about this and that after the game without taking into consideration many game and teams situations.

The Bills defense stunk so bad last year that Drew DID have to hold the ball a long time to get the ball downfield. He DID have to take chances because we had to go 80 yards almost every drive. He DID have to risk some interceptions because we were way behind and had no chance to catch up without 5 and 7 step drops. He DUD have to take a lot of sacks because the pass protection was shaky.

This year, because the team is different, he WILL be expected to play just as he played and not like he played last year. More of a field general. And if he plays like he did yesterday, excellent IMO, we will have an extraordinary season. There is little reason to think he won't. He demonstrated it yesterday. He hasn't always been great or even good in dozens and dozens of games over his career. But he is a top level quarterback very capable of leading this team to a SB by just playing like he did yesterday. He used his cannon, he used his experience, he used his smarts, he led the team, he kept within his limits BECAUSE HE COULD AFFORD TO, and he quarterbacked terrific. That doesnt show up in your stats.

WG
09-09-2003, 05:25 PM
WTH are you even talking about Kelly?

Do you have the impression somehow that I'm dissatisfied w/ our win on Sunday?

I just don't understand where this "challenge" of yours is coming from!!!

Did I EVER say that 31-0 displeased me or otherwise left me dissatisfied?

For cryin' out loud, where are you people coming up w/ this drivel?

Really!

Did you read my piece? Does it even smack of dissatisfaction?

I know many of you take issue w/ me, but for Pete sakes, get your facts straight.

I can't even be a fan today!!!

You wanna bash me, call me, I'll send you my address. Send me nasty postcards or letters. But jumpin' jiminy, please, please let me know Where TH you get the notion that Sunday's game was ANYTHING but spectacular?

Would ya do me that favor please...???

I don't understand it!

Kelly The Dog
09-09-2003, 10:01 PM
Read the entire post.

You started out by saying the best part of Drew's game was no TO, downplayed 319 yards in offense, said if he didnt get that protection 120 yards and 3 INTs was likely his game, said Jeff Blake played better when his team got beat, and then said "I credit ALL of Drew success w/the play of the offensive line."

I then posted about how anyone, not even mentioning you, could look at this game as anything other than excellent quarterbacking, winning 31-0, and then gave a dozen reasons why. You then said all kinds of other crap about Drew played well to me and then something about "strapping on some stones", calling me out.

Then you said, amazingly, that you had never EVER said Drew played a poor game, which of course, you had, approximately 6712 times. I will do a search if you wish. And your response to me saying, yes, you did indeed say before that Drew had poor games, was that he had poor games. Helllooooo?! McFLYYYYY?!!!!

Then you snuck in another remark that had nothing to do with anything saying he didnt remind you of Joe Montana.

I responded, of course, that JM didnt have all that many 31-0 wins even though he is arguably the best quarterback ever. I then explained, refuting many of your timeworn Drew sux arguments bloated with meaningless and skewed statistics, why his numbers were like they were last year (high sacks, too many INT's) because they had to be due to the team we had, and why his game yesterday was "excellent" because it was exactly the kind of field generalship that this team with a great D needs.

You, in turn, went postal about me challenging you when I didnt challenge you at all, but rather you challenged me twice, rather unprovoked. And said I didnt get my facts straight. And that you don't understand it.

Perhaps you now do.

WG
09-09-2003, 10:20 PM
Kelly, the problem, as I've mentioned prior, is that very often a handful of problem posters will instigate a situation in a thread to the extent that it appears that everyone entering the thread following a certain point and agreeing with a given viewpoint is piling on a poster. Very often it's me.

I prefer a much more rationalized approach to discussion, but again, sometimes, and usually due to a handful of posters who admittedly don't read the posts, begin to instigate a whole bunch of nonsense.

I'm tired of this today. I was incorrectly painted as someone who said Drew didn't play a good game when that couldn't be further from the truth, yet it was perpetuated throughout the day.

So let's just call it quits on this one.

LtBillsFan66
09-09-2003, 10:25 PM
Kelly, the problem, as I've mentioned prior, is that very often a handful of problem posters will instigate a situation in a thread to the extent that it appears that everyone entering the thread following a certain point and agreeing with a given viewpoint is piling on a poster. Very often it's me.

I prefer a much more rationalized approach to discussion, but again, sometimes, and usually due to a handful of posters who admittedly don't read the posts, begin to instigate a whole bunch of nonsense.

I'm tired of this today. I was incorrectly painted as someone who said Drew didn't play a good game when that couldn't be further from the truth, yet it was perpetuated throughout the day.

So let's just call it quits on this one.

lmao!

Hey pot, what color is the kettle?

Kelly The Dog
Fair enough. Just trying to keep the conversation lively. Thanks, wys. You do love the Bills.

lordofgun
Calm down, fellas. No personal attacks, please.

Let's discuss the Bills.

LtBillsFan66
09-09-2003, 10:27 PM
Flaming is against the TOS.

Ð
09-09-2003, 10:28 PM
Time to TOS the salad

lordofgun
09-09-2003, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by billsfanone
Flaming is against the TOS.

Thanks for the update. :up: