PDA

View Full Version : 12 men on the field penalty

Turf
09-09-2003, 08:42 PM
I'm watching this game on tape. It comes up to this penalty call. Dierdorph or whatever is counting the players on the field on the replay. I have it on pause. I can take all day to count. Unless someone is standing out of the field of sight 15 yards beyond the LOS, there are 11 men.

AG75
09-09-2003, 08:57 PM
Even the announcers were baffled by that one. Refs make the game so hard to enjoy sometimes, and that is saying a lot because football is damn fun to watch.

Jan Reimers
09-10-2003, 08:45 AM
NFL officiating is the worst of any major professional sport - and that's going some, to be more incompetent than the NHL.

Mad Bomber
09-10-2003, 11:10 AM
That was a lame call. So was the taunting call on Moulds. Besides that, it was one of the better-officiated games I've seen in a while. Especially considering it was a Pats game - they always seem to get even the most ridiculous calls going their way.

Mr. Miyagi
09-10-2003, 11:52 AM
Yeah the taunting call was dumb. I mean come on, it was a intra-division rivalry with the subplots of Bledsoe and Milloy, you would expect to see some trash talking and taunting.

What, you didn't think they were going to be like "Nice catch Eric! I'm honored to be on the field with you!"

"Thank you, and don't sell yourself short either. It was nice coverage on your part."

Give them a freaking break and let them play already!

Halbert
09-10-2003, 12:04 PM
I'm pretty certain the refs wouldn't call a 12-men penalty if they weren't positive. That's not a judgment call so they had to see something concrete. And the taunting call was correct as well. I must have heard it 10 times in the preseason that they'd penalize ball spinning at the feet of the opposition so I'm sure Eric heard it too. Notice that there was no penalty when Spikes ran out to midfield and did a poor spin job after one of his ints.

imbondz
09-10-2003, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi

What, you didn't think they were going to be like "Nice catch Eric! I'm honored to be on the field with you!"

"Thank you, and don't sell yourself short either. It was nice coverage on your part."

that IS how they are on the field.

mikemac2001
09-10-2003, 12:14 PM
God i love this team

The_Philster
09-10-2003, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Halbert
I'm pretty certain the refs wouldn't call a 12-men penalty if they weren't positive. That's not a judgment call so they had to see something concrete. And the taunting call was correct as well. I must have heard it 10 times in the preseason that they'd penalize ball spinning at the feet of the opposition so I'm sure Eric heard it too. Notice that there was no penalty when Spikes ran out to midfield and did a poor spin job after one of his ints.

I don't think Eric was doing it at their feet intentionally, though. I think they're getting nitpicky about it...and thats not a good thing. Let them play.

LtBillsFan66
09-10-2003, 03:43 PM
The taunting call...

I saw on sportscenter a few nights before that it's a new rule and will be enforced. As soon as he spun the ball, I called the penalty. It wasn't BS, it's a new rule.

The new rule is BS, but that's another story. No Fun League.

TypicalBill
09-10-2003, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by billsfanone
The taunting call...

I saw on sportscenter a few nights before that it's a new rule and will be enforced. As soon as he spun the ball, I called the penalty. It wasn't BS, it's a new rule.

The new rule is BS, but that's another story. No Fun League.

well BS :mad:

HAMMER
09-11-2003, 02:22 PM
They called the 12 men on the field on the Fans, they were so loud it was deemed an ear splitting infraction.

Dozerdog
09-11-2003, 03:29 PM
THe rule they are really cracking down on is 12 men in the huddle.

They want the teams to make their substitutions BEFORE they huddle, to give defenses enough time match up. It used to be a coach would run 3-4 players out there into a full huddle, and with one eye on the opposition sideline to see who they would put in, they would run out 3-4 guys for an advantage.

They started to call it some last season, but like hockey obstruction calls, they fell by the wayside. The rules are you can only huddle up with 11, and walk to the line with 11.

Billsouth
09-11-2003, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by Halbert

I wouldnt be so sure. Remember a few years ago when the refs screwed up the coin toss in the OT; or last year when they failed to call pass interference in the giants-niners playeoff game; or better yet the year they gave one team 5 downs instead of 4 to score from inside the 10.

the morale of the story is that just because the refs say it does not make it true.

TigerJ
09-11-2003, 10:51 PM
The Bills were on defence with that 12 man call so the huddle doesn't apply. There was a 12 men in the huddle call on the Patriots that was legit. I remember Dan Dierdorf pointing out the bogus call on the Bills.