X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • clumping platelets
    • Jun 2024

Salary Cap Update 9/10/03

Clayton has the Bills $2.49 million under the adjusted cap of $73,923,414. I presently have us $2.693 million under. Since I fully expect the Bills to carry a full practice every week, I have already deducted $369,750 ($4,350/player/wk x 17 wks x 5 players) for the entire season. I have also included the amount of $112,500 (25% of $450,000) for Travis Brown's injury settlement, but Clayton is likely to have included this. The discrepancy between my number and Clayton's number is approx. $550,000 and is likely to be differences in bonus and/or incentives. My numbers include an approximation of $2.25 million for LTBE bonuses in 2003.

Bills can still easily re-sign Winfield to an extension. He already counts $1.729 million on 2003 cap. That number cannot be lowered as he is already making the minimum salary ($530,000) for a player in his 5th yr and has $1.199 million is previous bonus amortization. Any extension will increase his cap hit, but wouldn't expect it to be much more than $1 million from the new signing bonus spread over 2003 and all yrs in the extension.

If TD can't work something out with Winfield, why not pursue an extension with Pat Williams? He's UFA after 2004. His salaries are $2.2 million(2003) and $2.6 million(2004). Bonus amortization in each year is $1.034 million. TD could sign him to a 2 or 3 yr extension and front load the deal into 2003 and 2004 very easily.

Others that could be considered for an extension: TE Mark Campbell(UFA after 2003), OT Jonas Jennings(UFA after 2004), DT Ron Edwards(RFA after 2003), or DE Aaron Schobel(UFA after 2004).

I will be posting an updated cap page later this week and will also post an early look at the 2004 cap very soon
  • LtBillsFan66
    • Jul 2002

Things look golden!

Comment

• TypicalBill
      • Sep 2002

gotta love cap room
      For the latest Bills news, visit the front page www.billszone.com

Comment

• Jan Reimers
        Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
        • May 2003

Thanks for the update. TD is a cap wizzard.
        Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• clumping platelets

That he is Jan

I really do hope that at least one of the aforementioned players are re-signed using 2003 cap space, it just makes the future cap years that much easier to manage :)

Comment

• ryven
            • Jan 2003

great job by TD

Comment

• justasportsfan
              • Jul 2002

Somoene called WNSA and said that in a golf tournament TD said that we have enough cap room to start talks w/ Winfield towards an extention w/in the next week. Don't know much about the credibility of the caller.
              Last edited by justasportsfan; 09-10-2003, 10:13 AM.
              sacrifice1
              https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• clumping platelets

I heard that on the SimonCast yesterday, Winfield's agent denied it though.

I'm indecisive about re-signing him. If he's looking for top 10 CB $$$, no thanks.

Comment

• EDS
                  • Jan 2003

Hey CP, how is our cap room looking for next year? I know we were looking good before Milloy's contract - I just want to be sure that we are not going to have to start cutting people in the next two years.

Comment

• clumping platelets

Originally posted by EDS
                    Hey CP, how is our cap room looking for next year? I know we were looking good before Milloy's contract - I just want to be sure that we are not going to have to start cutting people in the next two years.
                    I'm working on an article and it will be ready in a few days

I do not believe TD will allow the cap to get out of whack again

Comment

• ArcticWildMan

Re-sign Big Pat or Schoebel. Neither have made that leap to super status yet (big Pat might this year, so time is running out) and we should be able to sign them for reasonable money.

Comment

• NC-BILLS44
                        • Jul 2002

Thanks for "doing the math"

You must be an accountant.

Comment

• casdhf
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by clumping platelets
                          If he's looking for top 10 CB $$$, no thanks.
                          Well, if last weeks game was any indication, he is a top 10 Corner.
                          Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
                          cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• justasportsfan
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by NC-BILLS44
                            Thanks for "doing the math"

You must be an accountant.
                            Nope, he's a proctologist.
                            sacrifice1
                            https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Halbert
                              I'm Not Normal
                              • Jul 2002

So he's pretty good with an inflamed prostate, too?

Comment

Working...
                              X