PDA

View Full Version : offensive line situation

Herdwatcher
07-14-2002, 05:47 PM
The picture is getting a little more clear, but it seems center is a toss as well as left tackle, I say let teague be the front runner for LT and let Jennings battle Conaty for the man in the middle spot.
I feel the line will hold up a bit better for the qb this year, not because of Drew, because they are going to be (should be) better. I'm concerned they are going to struggle at opening up holes for the runningback. We all know what happens when your running game stinks. anyone else think that?

WG
07-14-2002, 10:32 PM
That Drew stinks..., what...?

Yeah, sure! LOL

Seriously, I think Jennings is almost a waste at C. We need him at one of the Ts. I say put Teague at C or G and let Conaty play C.

So then, what, it appears that Brown is firmly ensconced at LG. Os at RG then. and MW at RT for now. I still am of the opinion that Williams may get switched over to LT midseason. Depends on how quickly he learns.

He has to learn two things; first, the speed and strenght of the game at the pro-level along w/ the moves pro DEs are gonna be puttin' on. Secondly, how to play LT. I say whenever he learns the difference in level between the NFL and the NCAA, then switch him over to LT whenever that is.

Herdwatcher
07-14-2002, 10:39 PM
A Mike Williams switch isn't out of the question, I just not see the team doing so this season, he is a true RT it would be a shame to take him out of his natural position. Atleast Trey started all games at LT last year, so his feet are wet.

colin
07-15-2002, 10:00 AM
Although I would not be mad at Willy going to LT, I like what we are doing with our line.

We seem to be going for the most 1 on 1 matchup wins, as opposed to super star LT a strong RT and who ever else on the inside.

Our right side (especially if Sulivan can improve and beat out Os) is huge and athletic, our left side is good and mobile.

While TT might not be a super stud, if he can play solid LT, we will have the kind of line that can really dominate for 4 quarters.

Protecting the blind side is very important, but an overall better line might mean that we don't put our best guy on LT.

RedEyE
07-15-2002, 10:22 AM
I prefer Jennings at tackle as well. He had a stellar first season and I beleive that he is well on his way to becoming one of the best at his position. Teague has had some problems in the past and I'm just afraid that those ghosts may follow him to Buffalo.

Pride
07-15-2002, 10:52 AM
With the size of the DLmen around the league now, I believe Center is as important as any other position on the OL.

Jonas can help either Reuben or Jerry O if one needs it. MW will be fine... Teague... we will have to see. But I like the idea of our smartest OLman and good player playing in the middle calling blocking assignments

WG
07-15-2002, 11:37 AM
Yeah, but w/ Drew, he's 30 now, he's certainly not very mobile, as a matter of fact, he's one of the more immobile, if not the most immobile starter in the league. If he takes one too many hits, he could get injured easily again the way DEs are T-ing off on QBs these days. I wouldn't want to risk it.

Also, Herd, keep in mind that MW was a RT b/c he was playing for a southpaw. I'm quite sure that if they'd had a normal QB that he'd have been an LT. Also, let's not kid ourselves. If Teague were so good so as to completely alleviate our worries at LT, then he would not have started only 1 season in his first four years. I'm not sold on Teague. BTW, did he perhaps start last year due to an injury of another LT?

gonzo1105
07-15-2002, 11:41 AM
I dont care what people say about Jennings arms being too short to play LT. This kid was a steal in the draft and shouldn't be moved to Center especially after the way he played last year. The 3 most important positions on the OL are the tackles and the Center. LT being the most important. Jennings is the stud of this O line right now and deserves to be the LT.

WG
07-15-2002, 11:42 AM
"With the size of the DLmen around the league now, I believe Center is as important as any other position on the OL."

I'm in full agreement w/ you there Pride.

I think if we had MW and Jennings at the Ts, and Os (temporarily) or Conaty or even Teague at C, we'd be fine. Brown would be much better w/ talent on both sides not having to block for his bud Fina too. That would also be the ideal learning environment for Sullivan, whom I'm really high on as well. I was pumped when we drafted him in the 5th last year.

I thought Conaty did a fine job last year, and he was hurt for part of the year and played anyway. I'd like to see how he does this year on this team. He was supposedly one of the leaders last year.

Pride
07-15-2002, 11:45 AM
I am all for giving conaty a chance. If I were GW, and I am not, I would try TT at LT and JJ at Center with the understanding that if TT is average or worse, JJ moves there and TT competes with Conaty for Center.

Ebenezer
07-15-2002, 11:57 AM
Alot may shake down if JerryO can't go...remember he had surgery after the last minicamp...it was minor but you never know.