PDA

View Full Version : Milloy believes Bills' defense will allow him to make big plays

BillsFever
09-11-2003, 10:57 PM
ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (AP) -- With a full week of preparation as opposed to a few days, how much better can Lawyer Milloy be this Sunday against Jacksonville?

The four-time Pro Bowl safety wasn't saying on Thursday. But Milloy made it clear how quickly he's fitting in with his new team, the Buffalo Bills.

"I'm going to be able to have fun in this defense," Milloy said. "This defense is one that allows the playmakers to make plays, and forces everybody to get to the ball. And it was evident last Sunday."

Milloy was referring to his Bills debut in last weekend's 31-0 season-opening victory New England. It came five days after his stunning release from the Patriots for salary cap reasons, and three days after he arrived in Buffalo to sign with the team.

Milloy showed he was a quick study by helping to force an interception, recording a sack and getting in on five tackles.

It's performances such as that, and with such little preparation, which earned Milloy the respect of Bills defensive coordinator Jerry Gray.

"When you're a Pro Bowl guy and you want to get back there, you've got one thing and that's full speed," Gray said. "Once a guy is a Pro Bowl player, you're not going to embarrass yourself."

Gray said Milloy didn't study the entire Bills' playbook leading up to last weekend's game.

"Young guys don't understand that yet," Gray said. "If a young guy had two days, he's going to try to learn everything. You know what? He didn't try to learn everything. Now he's going to learn more. And eventually he'll get our whole playbook in. And once he does, he'll be a dangerous player."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2003/football/nfl/09/11/milloy_bills.ap/index.html

madness
09-11-2003, 11:04 PM
Sweet, so sweet I had to put it in my signature. Nice to finally find the last puzzle piece.

bernielivsey_1
09-11-2003, 11:22 PM
If he becomes dangerous he might need a Lawyer.

Jan Reimers
09-12-2003, 11:06 AM
I think Gray meant he'll be a MORE dangerous player.

Pride
09-12-2003, 11:11 AM
I hope so, I just picked him up off of waivers in my fantasy league.

Billsbabee
09-12-2003, 11:27 AM
Not taking anything away from Lawyer, as he is a very good player at his position. But as far as his quick study for last week's game I would have to say I feel he had a slight advantage in that it was his very recent former team we played, so he was familiar at what he/we were up against. No doubt he will be a big asset for us though and I am excited to see him on the field with the rest of our D that is much improved.