• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsFever
    Mr. Predictament
    • Feb 2003

XFL alumni 'He Hate Me' gaining popularity in Carolina

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) -- "He Hate Me" finally has some friends.

Rod Smart, who gained fame with a catchy nickname in the XFL, has settled in with the Carolina Panthers -- quirks and all.

He hasn't cut his hair in over a year, growing at least a six-inch high Afro. He stopped shaving, giving him a thick and rugged beard.

But the main attractions Thursday were the two jerseys hanging in his locker from his days with the Las Vegas Outlaws of the now defunct XFL. With his self-chosen nickname "He Hate Me" on the back, teammates gathered to get a look at what made Smart so well-known.

"I just knew him as 'He Hate Me,' so that's what I call him," safety Deon Grant said. "And you can't get one of those jerseys anywhere. Every time they put them in the stores, they sell out right away."

What started as a gimmick for Smart has turned into a career with the Panthers.

Signed by Carolina right before the season-opener last season, he led the Panthers in special teams tackles. This year they added kick returning to his duties and Smart delighted Carolina with dynamic special teams play in Sunday's 24-23 victory over Jacksonville.

He blocked a punt that led to a safety with 12:56 to play, had a 43-yard kickoff return and a special-teams tackle for loss.

"I'm a playmaker," Smart said. "I try to make something happen whenever I get around the ball. That's my game plan."

Working...
X