PDA

View Full Version : A better all around team?

Patrick76777
09-12-2003, 08:26 AM
I know it’s early, and I know I’m being a HUGE homer, but that being said, Could we have the best all around team in the NFL?

I’m talking Strong D, With the ability to throw the ball and run the ball on Offense. I don’t know if there is another team in the league that has a better balance of all 3.

Sure we have weak points on the D, but what team is going to have 11 All-stars on D? I think we have 7 All-stars (Adams, Williams, TKO, London, Clements, Winfield and Milloy) on the D. Combine that with very good players like Shoebel and Posey and I think it makes for what could be a Top 3 D.

We know Travis can run. And we know Drew can move the ball down field!

The Bucs have a better D but we are much better in both aspects of the O. I’d say the same for the Eagles. The Fins D And running game are comparable (our D and their running game are slightly better) but our passing O is much better.

Maybe KC can compare, but I’d even say that our D and passing game are slightly better!

imbondz
09-12-2003, 08:41 AM
NO. As of right now, IMO the Titans and Bucs are stronger overall. The Raiders have lost a bit from last year but are still stronger than us. We have a lot to still prove. Our special teams unit has to be consistent, and our O-line has to make holes for Henry or our offense will have to rely on Bledsoes arm, which is too much for him to handle as we saw last year (to carry us to 10+ wins).

The Titans play an old school Bill Parcells style of O where they dominate time of possession almost every game and wear down the D. It pains me to say this, but McNair is underrated and even though he can't throw the long ball, he doesn't need to in their O scheme. The Titans make me wanna :puke:

I think this season rests on the chemistry of our D. We already have the talent, now it's about if they consistently come together and not allow one loss to lose their confidence.

Patrick76777
09-12-2003, 08:54 AM
I think our O is much better then TB's. and if I had a choice between Our O and the Titans O. With 2 minutes left down my 6, I'd take our O every time.

Dozerdog
09-12-2003, 09:05 AM
I'd take the Titans & Bucs Coaching staffs and meld them with our offense, but we have the better offensive talent.

TedMock
09-12-2003, 09:07 AM
Talent wise I'd put our defense against anybody. The big advantage TB has is that they'd been together for several years. Offensively, we're definitely better and more capable of a big play. Having said that, we're also more likely to make a mistake in a close game. I think we could beat TB but that's the only team I don't say that confidently about.

imbondz
09-12-2003, 09:10 AM
our team has one game of experience together. That's the issue. If they can stay together and gell on O & D, I don't see how any team will be able to stop us. Our talent on both sides of the ball is that good.

Patrick76777
09-12-2003, 09:23 AM
Yeah, that's what I'm saying. I'm not talking about coaching or ST's, Just O and D talent.

Balance really!

Throne Logic
09-12-2003, 09:54 AM
To be honest, despite the shut out, I'm still a bit concerned about parts of each of the units.

Buffalo had problems running the ball consistantly against the Pats. Big Ted had a lot to do with that. So did Gilbride, who, for some unknown reason, kept running right at Ted. Josh Reed hopefully spent some time with the Juggs machine this week. The Bills might have put up another 14 points if not for his drops. I bet Reed has a huge game in Jacksonville.

The defense didn't do a very good job stopping the run after Smith was replaced by Faulk. He ran all over us. Heck, LARRY CENTERS ran all over us. That's just wrong. I expect Sam and Pat to take that personally and shut down Taylor this week.

Special teams was fine. Teams will get decent yard returns when you punt the ball 80 yards in the air. Net gain was still very high. I'll take that. Plus, the illegal block in the back tends to show up a lot more when teams are returning after really long punts. Brown was a bit shaky. I think he'll be better moving forward with some game experience under his belt.

Do I even have to mention the stupid penalties? Jennings with a holding call on a run to the right? Moulds false starting? They seemed to really be trying to shoot themselves in the foot. Good thing the Pats were in a daze.

I agree that this team could be among the overall best balanced squads in the NFL. But I'll need to see how the next 2-3 games go.

Patrick76777
09-12-2003, 10:04 AM
I think you may be looking for too much.

When the score is 21-0, sometimes you don't play as strong or with the same intensity.

Plus, we weren't going to hold the Pats to under 50 yard rushing!

Philagape
09-12-2003, 10:18 AM
Comparing the Bills and Titans ....

Henry is better than George.
Moulds is better than Mason.
QBs about even.
They have better TEs.
Our OL is probably slightly better.
Their pass rush is better.
Our interior DL is better.
Our linebackers are better.
Our secondary is better.
STs, too early to tell.

So overall, I think we're the better team.

Throne Logic
09-12-2003, 10:22 AM
Nice sig, Philagape! Just too many quotes to type . . .

colin
09-12-2003, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by Throne Logic
To be honest, despite the shut out, I'm still a bit concerned about parts of each of the units.

Buffalo had problems running the ball consistantly against the Pats. Big Ted had a lot to do with that. So did Gilbride, who, for some unknown reason, kept running right at Ted. Josh Reed hopefully spent some time with the Juggs machine this week. The Bills might have put up another 14 points if not for his drops. I bet Reed has a huge game in Jacksonville.

The defense didn't do a very good job stopping the run after Smith was replaced by Faulk. He ran all over us. Heck, LARRY CENTERS ran all over us. That's just wrong. I expect Sam and Pat to take that personally and shut down Taylor this week.

Special teams was fine. Teams will get decent yard returns when you punt the ball 80 yards in the air. Net gain was still very high. I'll take that. Plus, the illegal block in the back tends to show up a lot more when teams are returning after really long punts. Brown was a bit shaky. I think he'll be better moving forward with some game experience under his belt.

Do I even have to mention the stupid penalties? Jennings with a holding call on a run to the right? Moulds false starting? They seemed to really be trying to shoot themselves in the foot. Good thing the Pats were in a daze.

I agree that this team could be among the overall best balanced squads in the NFL. But I'll need to see how the next 2-3 games go.

Late in the game we were in pass stopping D, they did not run all over us at all. They wasted time running in the middle of the field while down by 21, and we let them just to stop the pass.

At the goal line we destroyed them, and in the first half we owned them, they had one long run at the end of the first half for some meaningless yards that padded their stats.

Throne Logic
09-12-2003, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by colin

Late in the game we were in pass stopping D, they did not run all over us at all. They wasted time running in the middle of the field while down by 21, and we let them just to stop the pass.

At the goal line we destroyed them, and in the first half we owned them, they had one long run at the end of the first half for some meaningless yards that padded their stats.

I'm hoping this is the case. The problem I guess I had was the amount of yards they were getting on each chunk. This is just a mild concern, mind you. My larger concern was with the running of the ball on Offense. Gilbride must have been so focused on Big Ted that he kept calling his number on the run plays. At least he called running plays. :)

Jacksonville will be a better test.

imbondz
09-12-2003, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by Philagape
Comparing the Bills and Titans ....

Henry is better than George.
Moulds is better than Mason.
QBs about even.
They have better TEs.
Our OL is probably slightly better.
Their pass rush is better.
Our interior DL is better.
Our linebackers are better.
Our secondary is better.
STs, too early to tell.

So overall, I think we're the better team.

I agree. On paper, alot of teams are better than the Titans. But, as a unit, w/ McNair at QB, they always seem to play better than the team they are playing. THey never dominate a team. They can play crappy all game but somehow pull it out in the end. I think it has to do with Fisher being a great coach more than the team being great.

Jan Reimers
09-12-2003, 10:32 AM
I like our overall talent - on both sides of the ball - as much as any team in the league. I'm not sure that GW is one of the top head coaches, and I worry some about KG, but the additions of LeBeau, Krumrie, Steckel and Ruel have certainly closed the gap between our coaching staff and others.

Once we get all the new guys really playing together, we may just be the best all around team.

TedMock
09-12-2003, 10:37 AM
Our running game improved drastically by the end of the game. Our overall average was only 3.2 but the 4th quarter was around 4.7. We didn't put up big rushing numbers but we ran effectively. That's what's important. 3 yards a pop can be very effective. It eventualy wore out the defense and we were able to eat up the clock. It also allowed Drew to play action and throw a couple of deep balls which is what he does best. He wasn't forced into obvious pass situations all game. Don't forget Henry also had decent receiving yards. I think he was used perfectly against a big DL. I'm most pleased with the fact that Gilbride stuck with it.