X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Demon
    • Mar 2003

Milloy Helped Williams plan for NE

I went today to wegmans to pick up the Sports Illustrated issue with Sam Adams on the cover, and the article in it was very interesting. At one point, they say Lawyer Milloy knew the defense so he studied the Bills play book and told Gregg Williams what NE will be doing on some Bills offensive plays. As it turns out, the biggest offensive play of the game, would have not worked if Lawyer didn't tell Williams the insight. Also, Takeo Spikes says he wants the Bills defense to be in the same class as the 85' Bears and the 2000 Ravens.

Here's the Milloy part:

In the meantime Buffalo and New England tried to focus on their game plans, which were now affected by how much Milloy could help his new team with the knowledge he had of the Patriots' systems. While Bills coach Gregg Williams and offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride were debriefing Milloy, they learned how to beat the Patriots' secondary with a deep seam route they love to run with wideout Eric Moulds. Milloy told the coaches that fourth-year strong safety Antwan Harris, the man who replaced him in New England, would be assigned to provide deep help on Josh Reed, the wide receiver working across the middle on the play. And he said by the time Harris realized that quarterback Drew Bledsoe was going deep to Moulds up the left seam, it would be too late for him to recover and help Law.

"When Lawyer told us that," says Bledsoe, "we knew Ty would be out on an island against Eric and it would be a great play for us."

The perfect time to run it came midway through the first quarter, with Buffalo leading 7-0 but facing a first-and-20 situation on its 11. Bledsoe's execution was brilliant. He first looked to his right, then at Reed flashing across the middle from the left. Then Bledsoe suddenly looked down the left side and threw to Moulds, who had a step on Law. By the time Harris recognized the play, he was three steps late, and the ball settled into Moulds's arms for a 49-yard gain. Law made the tackle, then angrily gestured to Harris that he should have been there to help. "That was a big play," Law said. "[Harris] should have been there. But I screw up some plays too."
    Rest of Article: (For those who are too cheap to buy their own magazine!) http://premium.si.cnn.com/pr/subs/si...915/index.html
    Impossible is Nothing.

• Billsbabee

Yup, that's what Moulds said on his show yesterday, just not in as much detail.

Comment

• Mom
      • Jul 2002

Re: Milloy Helped Williams plan for NE

Originally posted by Demon
      I went today to wegmans to pick up the Sports Illustrated issue with Sam Adams on the cover, and the article in it was very interesting. At one point, they say Lawyer Milloy knew the defense so he studied the Bills play book and told Gregg Williams what NE will be doing on some Bills offensive plays. As it turns out, the biggest offensive play of the game, would have not worked if Lawyer didn't tell Williams the insight. Also, Takeo Spikes says he wants the Bills defense to be in the same class as the 85' Bears and the 2000 Ravens.

Here's the Milloy part:

Rest of Article: (For those who are too cheap to buy their own magazine!) http://premium.si.cnn.com/pr/subs/si...915/index.html

So, does this bother anyone else? I love the fact that we won the game, don't get me wrong. I did think we would get some help from Milloy's NE knowledge.... BUT...it is just one game...will we be able to have effective gameplans WITHOUT (essentially) access to the opposing teams playbook?

Can GW do it without "insider information"????

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
        Legendary Zoner
        • Jul 2002

I can't beleive they cheated like that.

Comment

• The Spaz
          • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
          That's not cheating it's called using resources!

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
            Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
            At least we didn't intercept the playcall signals like the Giants did to the Vikings in 2000 playoffs.

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
              Legendary Zoner
              • Jul 2002

Or not change the terminology like stupid Oakland, playing their old coach.

Comment

• Dozerdog
                In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
                • Jul 2002

Bingo!

What a bunch of idiots on the Raider sideline

Comment

• imbondz
                  Democrats are people too
                  • Jan 2003

two greatest defenses in the past 25 years

the '85 Bears and the 2000 Ravens

TKO is the man.
                  My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

Comment

• Billsbabee

Originally posted by Mom
                    will we be able to have effective gameplans WITHOUT (essentially) access to the opposing teams playbook?

Can GW do it without "insider information"????
                    I am curious what our play calling and defense will look like this week without that info. I'm not really worried cuz I think our team is good enough, but will they be as good this week as last week. I see us with the W in the end, I just hope it's a "pretty" W like last week.

Comment

• ajsdx
                      • Aug 2003

Don't worry about it. The Bills' offense just needs time. If you give them four quarters, they'll come up with some big plays because they're so balanced: an opposing defense can't afford to overcommit to either the run or the pass. And with this new defense, hopefully time is exactly what our offense will have a lot of.

Comment

• Michael82
                        • Jul 2002

I read the article at my doctor's office and loved it. I will be buying myself a copy now. There is a sweet two page photo of the Milloy tip/Clements interception in the endzone and the Bills game is the focus article in SI this week. They got some pretty sweet photos in it. The front page, the two page spread, and also a nice photo of Bledsoe.

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mike32282
                          I read the article at my doctor's office and loved it.
                          You ok? Going in for liposuction?

Comment

• Tatonka
                            • Jul 2002

was it an adadictamy or a lopitoffimy?
                            "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• TigerJ
                              • Jul 2002

So let me get this straight. If Drew Bledsoe learns to look off his receivers, the guy he really wants to throw to should be open? What a revelation! Seriously, I'm grateful for Milloy's insight, but that wasn't really the football equivalent of rocket science was it? Isn't this the kind of things offences are supposed to kno to do?
                              I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

Working...
                              X