PDA

View Full Version : A Little Prediction

ublinkwescore
09-12-2003, 10:18 PM
Gregg Williams WILL be a great head coach.

I sincerely believe he will be among the greatest coaches in the league today.

Granted, he did make some bonehead calls in his first two years, but who hasn't when they were first handed the reins to a team.

Didn't we kinda suck with Levy in his first few years?

I know Steve Mariucci was shunned by 9ers fans over here for a while when he first took over the team. Cowher still manages to look like an idiot from time to time.

Based on all the interviews of GW that I've read - it becomes more and more apparent that he knows his stuff, but knowing your stuff, and getting it executed on the field are two different things. Ever since he's been here, he's been preaching about how important speed is to a D - well, now he's got a D with drastically improved speed, and so far we've seen some results.

The true mark in to which GW should be measured in is the fact that we TOTALLY dominated the Pats game. We punted good, we covered punt returns good, we scored with our O and with our D, we pitched a shutout, and we only had 1 kickoff return in the whole game - because we recieved in the first half (did I mention that we shut them out?)

And no, I'm not jumping on, or trying to start a GW bandwagon. If you look at previous threads on here pertaining to GW's competence, I've been one of his staunchest defenders, and the worst thing I've ever said about him is that "the jury's still out".

lordofgun
09-12-2003, 10:19 PM
I predict that you're smoking crack. :up:

ublinkwescore
09-12-2003, 10:21 PM
Want some?

lordofgun
09-12-2003, 10:22 PM
Must be some good stuff. :D

ublinkwescore
09-12-2003, 10:24 PM
Tomorrow is the 1 year anniversary of when I first logged on, thought I'd celebrate early.

imbondz
09-12-2003, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by ublinkwescore

Not really.

Marv Levy's first full year as head coach:

1987: 7-8 (the NFL went on a players strike this year)

then:

1988: 12-4 1st AFC
1989: 9-7 1st AFC
1990: 13-3 1st AFC
1991: 13-3 1st AFC
1992: 11-5 2nd AFC
1993: 12-4 1st AFC
1994: 7-9 4th AFC
1995: 10-6 1st AFC
1996: 10-6 2nd AFC
1997: 6-10 4th AFC

That is sick if you ask me. Pretty unbelievable.

EM Bills Fan 80
09-12-2003, 11:32 PM
1997, eek. Todd Collins and Lonnie "No Hands" Johnson. I still have nightmares to this day

The_Philster
09-13-2003, 04:40 AM
Originally posted by EM Bills Fan 80
1997, eek. Todd Collins and Lonnie "No Hands" Johnson. I still have nightmares to this day

That was my second year with season tickets...trying watching that in person :eek:

shelby
09-13-2003, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by imbondz
Not really.

Marv Levy's first full year as head coach:

1987: 7-8 (the NFL went on a players strike this year)

then:

1988: 12-4 1st AFC
1989: 9-7 1st AFC
1990: 13-3 1st AFC
1991: 13-3 1st AFC
1992: 11-5 2nd AFC
1993: 12-4 1st AFC
1994: 7-9 4th AFC
1995: 10-6 1st AFC
1996: 10-6 2nd AFC
1997: 6-10 4th AFC

That is sick if you ask me. Pretty unbelievable.

Marv :angry:ing rocks! Rhodes scholar, stellar coach, and class act all the way.

Historian
09-13-2003, 07:27 AM

That's tough to do when you have the football IQ of a little league coach.

Don't even mention him in the same post as Marv Levy. Marv won his first game as a Bills Coach. (16-12 over Pittsburgh, 11/9/86)

You may only mention him in the same breath as Bullough, Stevenson and Ringo, until he proves otherwise.

Buffatexas
09-13-2003, 07:30 AM
Williams may not ever be a Levy, but I feel he will be a level or two above Hank Bull-ough

Jan Reimers
09-13-2003, 08:31 AM
One great thing GW has going for him - his players go all out. They never quit on him, which means he has their respect.

ublinkwescore
09-13-2003, 09:33 AM
Thank you JR.

That is a wild card that not just any coach can pull off. I think we just might see BB's players give up on him this year.

Earthquake Enyart
09-13-2003, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by Billsology
That's tough to do when you have the football IQ of a little league coach.

Don't even mention him in the same post as Marv Levy. Marv won his first game as a Bills Coach. (16-12 over Pittsburgh, 11/9/86)

You may only mention him in the same breath as Bullough, Stevenson and Ringo, until he proves otherwise.

Hank has him beat. You can mention GW with Harvey Johnson, though. And John Rouch.

ublinkwescore
09-13-2003, 09:58 AM
Thanks for the ZBs suckers.

J/K

I do think Gregg Williams will be a good coach. Who did he have in his first year that wasn't a scrub besides Winfield, Clements, and Moulds? damn near no one (Price was still a scrub then, and he will be a scrub again for Atlanta without a Moulds on the other side).

Typ0
09-13-2003, 09:59 AM

I sincerely believe he will be among the greatest coaches in the league today.

Granted, he did make some bonehead calls in his first two years, but who hasn't when they were first handed the reins to a team.

I know Steve Mariucci was shunned by 9ers fans over here for a while when he first took over the team. Cowher still manages to look like an idiot from time to time.

Based on all the interviews of GW that I've read - it becomes more and more apparent that he knows his stuff, but knowing your stuff, and getting it executed on the field are two different things. Ever since he's been here, he's been preaching about how important speed is to a D - well, now he's got a D with drastically improved speed, and so far we've seen some results.

The true mark in to which GW should be measured in is the fact that we TOTALLY dominated the Pats game. We punted good, we covered punt returns good, we scored with our O and with our D, we pitched a shutout, and we only had 1 kickoff return in the whole game - because we recieved in the first half (did I mention that we shut them out?)

And no, I'm not jumping on, or trying to start a GW bandwagon. If you look at previous threads on here pertaining to GW's competence, I've been one of his staunchest defenders, and the worst thing I've ever said about him is that "the jury's still out".

I have always been impressed with Williams knowledge and the attitude he has for the game....unfortunatelly he seems to roll out of the tunnel with his head up has ass.

TigerJ
09-13-2003, 10:24 AM
I'm with you, ublink. GW has always been behind the eight-ball of that first horrible impression he made on Buffalo fans, but he is a smart Xs and Os guy, and a superb motivator. Sometimes he still makes some headscratching decisions on game day, but he's not the only head coach who does that, and I think he's getting better.

cordog
09-13-2003, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by EM Bills Fan 80

Thank god that season I was in basic training so I didnt get to see Todd and Billy Joe working their "magic"

ublinkwescore
09-13-2003, 11:39 AM
One thing I really liked is the way he's coaching this team to transition from D to O when we picked the ball off - there were more Bills to block for Sam Adams then there were Pats to try to stop him. He's definitely coached serious alertness into this team and that will go a long way.

MARK MY WORDS - WE WILL BE VICTORIOUS TOMORROW, AND AGAIN IN MIAMI.

Shiny Chicken
09-13-2003, 11:50 AM
Remember with Marv, though... he had had a few bad years in KC before he came here. Gregg had no HC experience before he came here. Marv also started with a much better team than Gregg had in his first year. No one, not even Parcells, could have been successful with that team.

Jeff1220
09-13-2003, 12:20 PM
I'd have to agree that GW will turn into a good HC. He has coached at every level and has matured enough and succeeded enough at each level to warrant going on to the next. I have seen, in his first 2+ years as Bills HC, him mature a lot in the position. The guy has learn from mistakes and hasn't been afraid or too egotistical to go in a different direction when his first ideas didn't succeed (like hiring unknown commodities as assistants or his blowhorn type antics at TC).
Even when this team was 3-13, they came to play every week. They didn't give up in games and that says a lot about his ability to coach. A guy can learn how to correct his gameplanning and such, but once you lose a team's respect and motivation, they're done and you're done. GW has surrounded himself with some real intelligence at the assistant coaching positions, as most good HCs do, and will hopefully build a great reputation for himself in the years to come.