PDA

View Full Version : Drew needs to be just average....

justasportsfan
09-13-2003, 10:26 AM
for this team to be succesful.

The entire offseason, I may have blasted wys' post regarding Drew for the fun of it. He actually was right (IMO) w/ regards to Drew.

It was proven against the Pats that this team can be good when Drew doesn't take matters into his own hands or make things happen on his own. When he tries to break franchise records by throwing too much, the team loses. He was decent or an average qb against the Pats in terms of nos. but neverthless a good leader on the field.

Not much has been shown or talked about in media regarding Drew when they talked about the bills thrashing of the Pats. Instead the D was the focal point. This simply implies that an average qb will sufice. Drew just needs to be a leader out there and not try to be a probowl qb.

The less he tries, the less gamebreaking mistakes he will make. He had Van Pelt like nos. last Sunday. I guess if the team continues a game plan like that, I'm not worried about a third qb. Van Pelt is capable of doing what Drew did last Sunday. As a matter of fact, if we ever have a 21 pt. lead by the half, I'd like to see Van Pelt get in there and get used w/ the 1st team.

shelby
09-13-2003, 10:52 AM
nice post!! :up:

justasportsfan
09-13-2003, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by shelby
nice post!! :up:

I know.... I mean thanks :D . Pretty much the master of the obvious. Nothing I've said is any different drom what wys was trying to say. I just say it much nicer :snicker:

Bufftp
09-13-2003, 11:16 AM
I miss Wys!

Novacane
09-13-2003, 11:40 AM
Is he comming back?

justasportsfan
09-13-2003, 11:45 AM
He got banned :snicker:

Schobel94
09-13-2003, 12:24 PM
You've got to be kidding me, Drew was superb on Sunday. His stats wont show it, but that int was a garbage int, and a dropped 70 yard pass by Reed could have been a TD. He could have easily been 18 for 28 (64%), 300 yards, 2 td, 0 int. But thats not how it worked out. If he had completed that pass, it would not be like he had done any better, but his stats would be much improved.

cordog
09-13-2003, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Bufftp
I miss Wys!

Not me, I dont miss hearing about how Drew will never get the bills to the super bowl in every damn thread

Wraith
09-13-2003, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Schobel94
You've got to be kidding me, Drew was superb on Sunday. His stats wont show it, but that int was a garbage int, and a dropped 70 yard pass by Reed could have been a TD. He could have easily been 18 for 28 (64%), 300 yards, 2 td, 0 int. But thats not how it worked out. If he had completed that pass, it would not be like he had done any better, but his stats would be much improved.

Exactly. Also, don't forget Drew only threw the ball something like 7 times in the second half. If he had thrown with the frequency he did in the first half, his stats would've been much better also.

I think we will win plenty of games if Drew is only average (or even bad), but I wouldn't call Drew's performance on sunday average.

SABURZFAN
09-13-2003, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by cordog

Not me, I dont miss hearing about how Drew will never get the bills to the super bowl in every damn thread

every thread???that's BS.

cordog
09-13-2003, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by SABURZFAN
every thread???that's BS.

pretty freakin close

Kelly The Dog
09-13-2003, 01:52 PM
Drew was mostly awesome on sunday, he was far, far from average. The first drive he threw a couple excellent passes, including the third down one to Shaw. The second drive was 120 yards or so counting penalties. He threw an absolutely gorgeous bomb to Moulds from our 5 to the 50. As well as spread it around to 7-8 different receivers. He threw screen passes and swing passes and dump off passes better than he ever does. He used the TEs and backs as well as WR's. He dove on a bad snap that was a nice save. The INT meant nothing on 4th down with 15 seconds left. He had another surefire TD to Moulds not count because interference put the ball at the one. He had the bomb to Josh dropped (that wasnt a great pass but should have been caught). Another 24 yarder to Josh that was called interference. He did everything you would want a QB to do and more. He was a great field general and didnt really make any glaring mistakes, outside of a bad handoff to Henry.

socalfan
09-13-2003, 02:41 PM
NFL quarterback rating was 86.9...not 130 like Brunell....oh but wait, Brunell lost!! I'd love to see come out every game and play like he did against NE....even if it means his QB rating is average...because we all know Drew is anything but average.

Captain gameboy
09-13-2003, 02:54 PM
I thought Drew was excellent, and I think he's a very good QB.
I think sometimes fans put the cart before the horse regarding stats. The usual quotes from pundits, saying things like, "all they need to do is run it x times," or " they need to put the ball in so and so's hands, (usually a running back), x times," don't address the obvious.
If NFL offenses are successful, they take advantage of what the defense gives them. Drew's stats and QB rating may not have been off the charts last week, but he called a great game, checking off when he had to. The first drive was masterful. Everybody and their brother knew we were going to try and run, and it looked to me like Drew checked into passing plays, and they worked.
These things don't always show up in stats.
All things considered, and I think a few third down plays showed it, the guy can make the throws and call a game.
Regarding tomorrow, I think he's going to show a little leadership. Josh Reed had a tough time holding on last week, and I expect Drew to get the ball to him early to get him rolling towards the great season he needs to have. That's leadership, and I expect it to happen.

mybills
09-13-2003, 02:56 PM
Great post, justa! The sooner fans realize it needs to be a team effort (like Drew did on Sunday) the better. He is not our savior, nor can he do it alone. The <b>whole team</b> won that game! :up:

Doc
09-13-2003, 03:49 PM
Drew's pass to Reed on the flea-flicker wasn't perfect if you're talking about how Reed could have scored a TD if he had gotten it there sooner (and if Reed had caught it). However he got it to Reed for what should have been a huge-gainer, and Reed dropped it, so from that aspect it WAS perfect. Again he was superb on Sunday, mostly because he did it against Belichick who "owns him."

Captain gameboy
09-13-2003, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by mybills
He is not our savior, nor can he do it alone. The &lt;b&gt;whole team&lt;/b&gt; won that game! :up:

That's part of my point. The whole team wins the game every week. With the ESPN-ification of the NFL, fans have becomed too enamored with stats. Results (mostly) drive stats in the NFL, not vice versa.
If you're down 21 in the second, you're going to throw. That builds up O-stats, hurts D-stats and eventually causes picks.
Bledsoe, and all good QB's try to win. Sometimes that distorts stats. If you're up 17, you're going to run, causing the run/pass % to change and leading some to conclude that if you run x % of the time you're going to win.
Of course you are, because the reason you're running so much is because you are winning.
It isn't baseball where three-maybe four players are involved per play. In football, 16-18 are involved.
If we want to know who is good, ask the GM's, not the stat pundits.

Dozerdog
09-13-2003, 04:05 PM
Drew isn't calling the plays, either. If We had a dependable BALL CONTROL offense (running game without the fumbles) and a defense that didn't give up 25-30 points every game, Bledsoe wouldn't have to throw all the time.

Balance and moderation. Give any QB the tools (protection, a running game, and a defense) and he will take you to the playoffs. It's the intangebles a QB has that puts you in the Super Bowl - (intangibles like leadership- turning a sure loss in Minnesota into a win)

justasportsfan
09-13-2003, 05:11 PM
Drew had a Jim Kelly like performance last Sunday leading the team and not doing things by himself. We usually have him throwing for 300-400 yards and losing the game when we rely on him too much. He was mistake free practically and that's they way it should be when you have a more balanced attack.

We only need Drew to lead the team and not for him to try to win the game by himself like he did most of last year. HIs leadership last Sunday affected the team in a possible way. What I mean by not being awsome is his usual self where he had great individual stats just like he was when he was a Pat and yet the team went nowhere in the end if teams know that we have to rely on him to win it.

Keep the team balanced which means his nos. will go down but who cares as long as the team wins.

His nos. were average but his leadership was awsome.

socalfan
09-13-2003, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by justasportsfan
Drew had a Jim Kelly like performance last Sunday ..........
Keep the team balanced which means his nos. will go down but who cares as long as the team wins.

His nos. were average but his leadership was awsome.

AMEN!! by the waqy, are you related to Ms France?

Michael82
09-13-2003, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by justasportsfan
I know.... I mean thanks :D . Pretty much the master of the obvious. Nothing I've said is any different drom what wys was trying to say. I just say it much nicer :snicker:

and SHORTER. :snicker: