PDA

View Full Version : Concerns

snow1989
09-14-2003, 03:19 PM
Didn't get to watch it, but sounds like our Bills played pretty well, BUT....is anyone else concerned about the lack of a running game?
Our OL is huge and they should be road-graders....so is the problem the OL?...or Henry?...both?...

Cntrygal
09-14-2003, 03:22 PM
I'm concerned about all that, AND our penalties.

snow1989
09-14-2003, 03:22 PM
From what I can figure, we allowed 82 yards between 4 backs....deleting Brunell scrambles for 13 yards (94 total) that doesn't seem too bad, I think cashing in the chips and allowing that late drive stinks though..

snow1989
09-14-2003, 03:25 PM
six for 55 yards on penalties...from my view thats not too bad...far better than we usually do, but the lack of the running game is rearing its ugly head and we're fools if we think other teams aren't going to notice

Halbert
09-14-2003, 03:25 PM
Come on people, Drew had all the time in the world and no sacks. Any team in the NFL could stop the run if they dedicate everything to it. If we had given up a handful of sacks THEN I'd be worried. This is not a problem.

CWOUSARET
09-14-2003, 03:30 PM
I agree with Halbert. After a 2-0 start and convincing wins in both of them - the only thing I'm worried about is the young Bills players who might listen to all the hype. I thought we dominated today and JAX did have a heavy commitment to stopping the run - that opend up the passing game - they played right into Gilbright's hands. Now if we SQUISH THE DULL-FISH - then I'll be thinking that we really have something here.

snow1989
09-14-2003, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Halbert
Come on people, Drew had all the time in the world and no sacks. Any team in the NFL could stop the run if they dedicate everything to it. If we had given up a handful of sacks THEN I'd be worried. This is not a problem.

My only problem with the above is that later in the game Jax knew it was all pass, pass, pass....which should have opened up things a bit on the ground, and it never developed....sorry, but I see it as a concern when a starting back can't get more than 26 yds on 21 attempts...

Brian Griese Rulz
09-14-2003, 03:32 PM
McGahee will be ready soon. Travis will be on the bench.

saviorbledsoe
09-14-2003, 03:34 PM
That last touchdown from Leftwich was BS! He never had control of the ball before he went out of bounds.....I am pissed! It should have been 38 - 10.

Captain gameboy
09-14-2003, 03:36 PM

Absotively.
The Jags decided to stop the run and roll the dice with the passing game. They lost big. No interior rush-no pressure on Drew.
They chose thier poison and Gilbride/Bledose and the rest handed it to them.

HenryRules
09-14-2003, 03:45 PM
I'm not concerned about an offense that puts up 30+ points in each of its first 2 games.

imbondz
09-14-2003, 03:51 PM
how can you not be worried about no running game? I realize that Bledsoe had all day to pass, and looked awesome, but Henry could never break through the line. It was frustrating. We should have been running the ball the entire 4th quarter.

Devin
09-14-2003, 04:07 PM
lol some people are never satisfied, no sacks today! Henry isnt gonna break 100 everygame, 3 tds in a 38-17 win....Ill take that anyday. Baby steps people, baby steps.

Devin
09-14-2003, 04:07 PM
he got in when it counted!

HenryRules
09-14-2003, 04:10 PM
I can not be worried about no running game because we still put up 30+ points.

Breaking down the offense into little parts is not productive nor accurate in my opinion. If a defense is afraid of our running game enough to put 8 in the box and let us pass our way up and down the field all day, the running game did its job for the game.

I will be concerend about the running game if both the running game and the passing game bomb on the same day. That implies either our offense is not as good as the other team's defense or that our OC/QB cannot recognize at the line what the defense's weakness is for the current play. Until that day comes, I have no concerns about either our running game or our passing game.

Drewpac
09-14-2003, 04:45 PM
Exactly, JAX inexpicably brought 8 men in the box the whole game allowing Bledsoe to torch them over and over again. Everytime Henry touched the ball there was nowhere to run. Obviously, we would all love to see Bledsoe throw for 300 and Travis to run for 100 every game but that is not realistic. We kicked the crap out of a JAX team(that nearly beat a good Carolina team on the road last week) that was pumped up and playing their home opener. We should rejoice, not nitpick over the performance of a guy who ran for 3 TD's.

imbondz
09-14-2003, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Drewpac
Exactly, JAX inexpicably brought 8 men in the box the whole game allowing Bledsoe to torch them over and over again. Everytime Henry touched the ball there was nowhere to run. Obviously, we would all love to see Bledsoe throw for 300 and Travis to run for 100 every game but that is not realistic. We kicked the crap out of a JAX team(that nearly beat a good Carolina team on the road last week) that was pumped up and playing their home opener. We should rejoice, not nitpick over the performance of a guy who ran for 3 TD's.

I completely agree. but the question was concerns? And there are some. It doesn't take away from the fact that it was an awesome game and we looked great.

Devin
09-14-2003, 05:45 PM
Well im not concerned about the running game yet for 3 reasons.

1) its the 2nd game of the season

2) Henry pounded in 3 TD's when it mattered

3) It isnt expected that he or many other backs for that matter are gonna break a c-note when the line is stacked the way it was.

I think Henry will have himself a 1100-1300 season but his 125 yards against the Chiefs in the AFC championship game this year will be the cake, the icing of course will be his 100 against the Bucs in the SB!

Halbert
09-14-2003, 10:56 PM
Think about it - the Bills passed at will. We kept putting ourselves into holes with penalties and no gains, yet we were able to overcome that and pile up first downs.

You can bet that the Jags don't feel like they won a damn thing by holding TH to less than 30 yards. He got three TD's, for heavens sake. You can also bet that the Dolphins won't be happy to hold TH to less than 30 yards if they don't figure out how to stop the pass.

This offense will run when it can run, but if not it can pass its way to victory. The defense is stout enough to allow the offense to take downfield shots and won't buckle if the O has to punt now and then.

It looks like the strategy of opponents so far is to force the Bills to pass. Well, fine, we can do that, too. The O has put up 62 points and the D has allowed 10 (not counting the garbage Jag TD). Like I said, that's all good.

Buffatexas
09-14-2003, 10:59 PM
Just watching today's game made me remember the times when our offense could take chances (ala the failed 4th down fake) and put it in our defense's hands. My only concern as of right now is our special teams. I would like to see lindell get some of those kicks in the end zone.

cordog
09-14-2003, 11:25 PM
They really did stack up against the run. One of Fox's three keys to the game was to stop the run. He did that by stacking the box, plus their D line is pretty good.

The_Philster
09-15-2003, 03:05 AM
This offense will run when it can run, but if not it can pass its way to victory. The defense is stout enough to allow the offense to take downfield shots and won't buckle if the O has to punt now and then.

It looks like the strategy of opponents so far is to force the Bills to pass. Well, fine, we can do that, too. The O has put up 62 points and the D has allowed 10 (not counting the garbage Jag TD). Like I said, that's all good.

The thing is, we DID attempt to run enough that we should have had much better results.

helmetguy
09-15-2003, 05:44 AM
Originally posted by The_Philster
The thing is, we DID attempt to run enough that we should have had much better results.

As soon as we figure out if we have the tools to run against "eight-in-the-box" consistently, I think you'll see better results. One way to develop the tools would be to incorporate some misdirection-type plays (counters, traps, etc.). I'm not sure if TH is that kind of back, but if he wants to even have a sniff at 2,00, as he predicted earlier, then he'll need to become that kind of back. And, the O-line will have to establish that they can support it. In the meantime, we can still exploit the weaknesses the defenses present.