X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheItalianBills
    • Sep 2003

Do You Agree With Me Guys?

When in the second quarter, we was on our 46, 4 and 2, the coaching stuff, decided to play the ball. I thought: WHAT THE HELL?? ARE YOU CRAZY?? We are ahead by 14 to none, and you don't punt?? You are a fool. In fact, we lost the ball, and they scored a TD. I was really pi**ed off about that. You?
    Picca
  • imbondz
    Democrats are people too
    • Jan 2003

I didn't hate the call. I like a coach that takes risks. It shows me that he has confidence in the offense and defense and is not afraid to go for it.
    My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

Comment

• Dozerdog
      In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
      • Jul 2002

It was a poorly designed play, poorly executed , and at the wrong time in the game.

Want to go for it? put your offense out. I don't want Sammy Morris taking a snap under center.

If you watch the replat, there were 3 WR's split right with 1 db- and it was a run? All it did was break the team's momentum

Comment

• imbondz
        Democrats are people too
        • Jan 2003

I agree it was a poorly designed play, but I liked the call to go for it. I didn't understand snapping it to Morris, but if he made it, we'd be praising Williams.

Why was it a bad time? We were up 14, looked dominating. Why not try to nail the coughin shut early.

Comment

• HenryRules
          • Jul 2002

I like the play and I think it was the perfect time for that call to be made.

Here's my reasons:
          #1 - That would have been a good time for Jax to sell out to blocking the punt. Because of that fake, in the future, teams will be reluctant to do an all-out block, knowing that at any time we may fake.
          #2 - Our defense has been unbeatable up 'til this point of the year. A call like this shows that their great performance has not gone unnoticed and is appreciated.
          #3 - If that play is successful, you can put AVP and Joe Burns in right then and there - the game is over. Knockout punches are seldom risk-free, but they have enormous upside.

All in all, while I may complain about the actual play itself, calling a fake punt is definitely something that I agree with in hindsight - it wasn't something I was thinking we should call at the time, but then again, you don't call fake punts when they are expected.
          Last edited by HenryRules; 09-14-2003, 05:14 PM.

Comment

• imbondz
            Democrats are people too
            • Jan 2003

Originally posted by HenryRules

Here's my reasons:
            #1 - That would have been a good time for Jax to sell out to blocking the punt. Because of that fake, in the future, teams will be reluctant to do something like this, knowing that at any time we may fake.
            #2 - Our defense has been unbeatable up 'til this point of the year. A call like this shows that their great performance has not gone unnoticed and is appreciated.
            #3 - If that play is successful, you can put AVP and Joe Burns in right then and there - the game is over. Knockout punches are seldom risk-free, but they have enormous upside.

All in all, while I may complain about the actual play itself, calling a fake punt is definitely something that I agree with in hindsight - it wasn't something I was thinking we should call at the time, but then again, you don't call fake punts when they are expected.
            good post. I agree 100%

Comment

• TheItalianBills
              • Sep 2003

Well.....it was a stupid call, believe me.
              Picca

Comment

• imbondz
                Democrats are people too
                • Jan 2003

Originally posted by TheItalianBills

Comment

• SABURZFAN
                  short bus extraordinaire
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by TheItalianBills
                  it could have been worse.we could have punted on 4th and 2 at our opponents 32.
                  Originally posted by yordad
                  Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• Historian
                    2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                    • Dec 2002

Originally posted by HenryRules

Here's my reasons:
                    #1 - That would have been a good time for Jax to sell out to blocking the punt. Because of that fake, in the future, teams will be reluctant to do an all-out block, knowing that at any time we may fake.

Stupid Play! You try that when you're DOWN by 14 to jumpstart your team, not when you're winning. All he did was fire up Jacksonville.

BTW...these silly special teams stunts didn't work for Jimmy (Pork Faced satan) Johnson in Miami either.

Comment

• Tatonka
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by imbondz
                      I agree it was a poorly designed play, but I liked the call to go for it. I didn't understand snapping it to Morris, but if he made it, we'd be praising Williams.

Why was it a bad time? We were up 14, looked dominating. Why not try to nail the coughin shut early.
                      i agree. i like the risk taking. hate the play call.
                      "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• hintexas
                        • Mar 2003

I dont have a problem with going for it and Sammy is the 3rd string quarterback so snapping the ball to him is fine. BUT give him some offensive lineman (were their only 3 on the field). I think if they would of snapped it to Sammy as the upback then he could have run or maybe passed for atleast 3 yards. The formation on this play needs to be thrown directly into the circular file. The formation is what caused the play not to work and is what caused the momentum to swing and temporarily allowed Jacksonville back into the game. Another BUT I hope we are woring all year long if we are helping a team to try to get back into the game when it is only the 2nd quarter since obviously this means we are dominating through the 1st quarter.

Comment

• saviorbledsoe
                          All-Pro Zoner
                          • Jul 2003

If it would have worked we would have all been saying what a gutsy and great call it was.

Comment

• Dozerdog
                            In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
                            • Jul 2002

I wouldn't have.

Check the game day threads- we couldn't type WTF is he doing? fast enough

Comment

• imbondz
                              Democrats are people too
                              • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Dozerdog
                              I wouldn't have.

Check the game day threads- we couldn't type WTF is he doing? fast enough

Comment

Working...
                              X