PDA

View Full Version : Scary thing about the bills Running Game

eddiehaskill
09-14-2003, 09:13 PM
We've seen this happen last year. Bledsoe comes out throwing like crazy in the nice weather and the Bills Win! When the weather starts to become windy and eventually snowy and cold the bills will be forced to establish a solid running game in order to win games. I just hope and pray that this will happen. 20 carries for 26 yards is pretty scary. Only time will tell. What do you think?

The_Philster
09-14-2003, 09:16 PM
That's what a couple of us have been trying to tell others all day. Great post and :welcome: to the Zone. First round's on LOG :beer:

OpIv37
09-14-2003, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by eddiehaskill
We've seen this happen last year. Bledsoe comes out throwing like crazy in the nice weather and the Bills Win! When the weather starts to become windy and eventually snowy and cold the bills will be forced to establish a solid running game in order to win games. I just hope and pray that this will happen. 20 carries for 26 yards is pretty scary. Only time will tell. What do you think?

The plus side is that we have a better D this year- if the offense can manage 10 points, that just might be enough. But you're absolutely right- this team will not continue to play at this level if the rushing game doesn't improve.

hintexas
09-14-2003, 09:20 PM
Jacksonville's Coach said in the post game press conference that their entire gameplan was to stop the run and make them pass then get them off the field. He siad they did it all but didnt get them off the field. If they want to play their corners and linebackers up to stop the run the entire game then thats fine Drew will pass for over 300 yards and the game will be over before the 4th quarter starts. I hope Miami watches the film from todays game and trys to stop the pass exclusively then Henry will run all over them.

eddiehaskill
09-14-2003, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by hintexas
Jacksonville's Coach said in the post game press conference that their entire gameplan was to stop the run and make them pass then get them off the field. He siad they did it all but didnt get them off the field. If they want to play their corners and linebackers up to stop the run the entire game then thats fine Drew will pass for over 300 yards and the game will be over before the 4th quarter starts. I hope Miami watches the film from todays game and trys to stop the pass exclusively then Henry will run all over them.

Well thats a little more relaxing to hear. Henry is a good back. I have no doubt about that . His cuts on the opening drives were very solid. He runs into problems when he refuses to give up on a play (- yard rushes) but thats better than playing half assed. However, once again in a game of all rushing (bad weather) where the defense knows were going to rush i'm scarred

LABillsFan
09-14-2003, 09:26 PM
Excellent point that some aren't getting. Teams need a running game to win consistantly and I will not buy into the 8 in the box excuse. Less than 2 ypc is horrendous no matter how great the passing game was. The Bills will need it the rest of the season because teams now have 2 games worth of film to study. Burns was able to get yards and Morris was getting at least 3 ypc against NE. So what is TH not doing or is it that TH needs relief thoughout the game.

Like you said, I guess we'll find out the second half of the season. Don't the Bills have someone waiting in the wings to play the second half of the season?

OpIv37
09-14-2003, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by LABillsFan
Excellent point that some aren't getting. Teams need a running game to win consistantly and I will not buy into the 8 in the box excuse. Less than 2 ypc is horrendous no matter how great the passing game was. The Bills will need it the rest of the season because teams now have 2 games worth of film to study. Burns was able to get yards and Morris was getting at least 3 ypc against NE. So what is TH not doing or is it that TH needs relief thoughout the game.

Like you said, I guess we'll find out the second half of the season. Don't the Bills have someone waiting in the wings to play the second half of the season?

yeah something about a draft pick for that horrible receiver who's in Atlanta now

bernielivsey_1
09-14-2003, 09:34 PM
Guys look at the front 7 of the last 2 teams we've faced. There both pretty good. Miami's will be good as well and the secondary is pretty good yo. I want balence in this game.

LABillsFan
09-14-2003, 09:39 PM
The Bills will need that balance for the rest of the season. They are the HOTTEST team in the NFL and what team wouldn't love to give the Bills their first loss. I'm happy that it was pretty much 50/50 runs and passes, but if the score was a TD or less difference and the Bills needed to run out the clock I would not be that confident they could do it.

eddiehaskill
09-14-2003, 09:42 PM
The Bills will need that balance for the rest of the season. They are the HOTTEST team in the NFL and what team wouldn't love to give the Bills their first loss. I'm happy that it was pretty much 50/50 runs and passes, but if the score was a TD or less difference and the Bills needed to run out the clock I would not be that confident they could do it.

great point-- a run out the clock situation is a definite time when the defense is expecting the run. Is I saw us running and getting first downs in that situation I could sleep a lot easier at night

colin
09-14-2003, 09:43 PM
D > passing > running.

If they hang back to stop the pass, we will run all over them.

The Raiders last year and San Fran before them used to nearly never run and always pass, we are like that, but we pass deep and only because it is open.

With our line being this strong, and new better RB's and TEs, we are a better O than last year.

When McGahee comes in, watch out.

Drewpac
09-14-2003, 11:23 PM
I continue to stand by my assertion that the running game is fine. Our offense scored 38 points today. I'll take 0 ypc if that means we continue putting up 38 points/game. Henry will shut up everyone on this board in the next few weeks. Then we'll all be saying how great he is again. I didn't expect the Henry bashing to begin until Wys got to his computer but I guess his negativity has begun to rub off on the rest of us.

cordog
09-14-2003, 11:50 PM

If the Jags brought in 8 dbs to stop the pass every play, do you think Bledsoe would have had the kind of #'s he did? I highly doubt it. Actually them stacking against the run shows how strong opponents think our run game is. Especially a team that has a good Defensive Line.

LABillsFan
09-15-2003, 12:06 AM
Actually it's the lack of respect for the passing game. Del Rio himself said he wanted the Bills to pass so the Jags could get the Bills off the field. 86 yards for TH against the Pats and now 26 against the Jags doesn't exactly put fear in teams. What it does is tell teams that the Bills running game is insufficient and if you keep it in check it's a matter of bumping the receivers at the line and putting pressure on Drew to throw it sooner than he wants to. Fortunatly, the Bills haven't played against some of the better defenses in the league.

THIS DOES NOT diminish the fact that the Bills are 2-0 and have put on a great show the last 2 weeks. But that doesn't mean they won't need a consistant running game during the season.

eddiehaskill
09-15-2003, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by Drewpac
Henry will shut up everyone on this board in the next few weeks. Then we'll all be saying how great he is again. I didn't expect the Henry bashing to begin until Wys got to his computer but I guess his negativity has begun to rub off on the rest of us.

Thats exactly the point. if Henry comes out and perfroms well we will have his back because nobody is questioning his ability. We're all Bills fans and want to see him do well. So if he can come out and have solid games we will of course be greatful and admire his work

TedMock
09-15-2003, 10:10 AM
good news is that we actually stuck to it again. That's 2 weeks in a row! Bledsoe had a great game but the fact of the matter is that he only threw 25 passes. Don't forget he averaged almost 40 attempts per game last season. We had 27 total pass plays and 32 total running plays. Balance sets up the play action pass. Jax loaded up the box all game and left WR's in single coverage so we were able to toss a few downfield. Drew didn't have to force the ball because of the single coverage too. He was literally just tossing it downfield and "placing" the ball. Look at the highlights, it was as it he was at the playground. The running game worked when it had to, Henry had 3 TD's.

RedEyE
09-15-2003, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by TedMock
good news is that we actually stuck to it again. That's 2 weeks in a row! Bledsoe had a great game but the fact of the matter is that he only threw 25 passes. Don't forget he averaged almost 40 attempts per game last season. We had 27 total pass plays and 32 total running plays. Balance sets up the play action pass. Jax loaded up the box all game and left WR's in single coverage so we were able to toss a few downfield. Drew didn't have to force the ball because of the single coverage too. He was literally just tossing it downfield and "placing" the ball. Look at the highlights, it was as it he was at the playground. The running game worked when it had to, Henry had 3 TD's.

:up:

Patrick76777
09-15-2003, 10:14 AM

Great post Ted!

LtBillsFan66
09-15-2003, 10:16 AM
Ditto. Ted wins the post of the day!

Jan Reimers
09-15-2003, 10:22 AM
We can debate all we want, but we will need a better running game - even against 8 in the box - to go where we all want to go this year. There will be games where the pass won't work as well as it has so far, and we will need to run more consistently.

The Natrix
09-15-2003, 10:47 AM
Bucs and Pats running games were awesome :rolleyes:

guys, you can't always expect to have both the pass and the run working to perfection in the same game. Henry had 1400 yards last year with basically the same O-line - some depth so there is no reason to think he can't do the same this year. Besides, I could care less if he only gets 1000 as long as we are headed to the playoffs doing the things well that we are doing now. Yeah, he only had 26 yards, but he had NO WHERE to go. The Jags were playing the run all day and their strong point is their DL. Anytime that he actually did see some daylight, he hit that hole and hit it hard. So before you get all giddy while looking at your McGahee poster, just remember that if the OL doesn't do it's job for him, he won't go anywhere either. Also, don't be surprised to see Henry get 150 next week. He is capable of putting up 150 on any given Sunday. It is just a matter of the OL coming together in the run game. Remember, this is Pucillo's first season as a full time starter.

TedMock
09-15-2003, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by Jan Reimers
We can debate all we want, but we will need a better running game - even against 8 in the box - to go where we all want to go this year. There will be games where the pass won't work as well as it has so far, and we will need to run more consistently.

I totally agree. My point is that if they're handing you the pass you take it. The running game, as bad as it was, still allowed us to set up play actions. That is where Drew excels. Henry will have his days too. With the exception of Pucillo, it's the same OL that was good at run blocking last season and struggled in pass blocking. I really think they'll be fine. If a team decides to take away the pass then we can run right at them with double teams in the middle. The offense, so far, has been balanced and that's what I'm most impressed with. When push came to shove inside the 5 yardline and we went mano y mano, Henry was able to punch in 3 TD's. I'm a little worried but not too much.

The Natrix
09-15-2003, 10:51 AM

Exactly. 32 runs and 27 passes with a final of 38 -17 tells me that the Jags were respecting the run game. I really could care less about the actual rushing yardage in a 38-17 victory.

The Natrix
09-15-2003, 10:55 AM

I'm a little worried but not too much.

I am not worried about any aspect of the offense.

Kelly The Dog
09-15-2003, 01:14 PM
We have scored 69 points in two games. We're 8-8 in the red zone I believe, with 7 TDs and one FG. Travis has had five carries insde the 10 yard line and scored on four of them, with the other just before a play action pass that was a wide open TD by D Moore. If Travis continues at this crappy pace you guys are whining about, he will score 40 touchdowns in the greatest rushing performance in the history of the NFL.