PDA

View Full Version : 4th and 2 and..

northernbillfan
09-15-2003, 03:50 AM
We go with the fake punt. It's that kind of stupid play calling that will come back to haunt us. If it wasn't for that stupid call,we could have pinned the Jags deep and hold them.

But no, Williams has to go and get all tricky and try some razzle dazzle. Save that crap for the preseason, and not in a game.

Come on Williams, Gilbride, whoever it was. Give your head a shake.

TypicalBill
09-15-2003, 03:54 AM
yep, that was a bonehead call that swung the momentum and cost us 7 points...

these were his comments
Fake Punt-

"In that situation we didn't take it well at that part of the ball game. We're hoping to have a situation where we could sneak it but we didn't get the ball snuck and we've got to do better about that. When you look at that right there, I'll make sure next time I don't do that."

northernbillfan
09-15-2003, 03:59 AM
That quote was the key to the play.

They lined up for the punt, then realigned, and gave Jacksonville enough time to reset. Sheesh!

helmetguy
09-15-2003, 04:03 AM
Okay, it may not have been the smartest, safest, or well conceived play of the game. Just the same, isn't it comforting to know that the team is good enough to overcome a mistake like that? Last year at this time, it woulda come back to haunt 'em. That was then, this is now. Would you rather punt on fourth and two AGAIN? Remember last year vs. New England? When last I checked, the final score against the Jags was STILL 38-17! What did the play REALLY cost???

That's what I thought! it cost us NOTHING!

TypicalBill
09-15-2003, 04:30 AM
Okay, it may not have been the smartest, safest, or well conceived play of the game. Just the same, isn't it comforting to know that the team is good enough to overcome a mistake like that?

Offcorse its comforting, but they scored a TD because of it... you go for it when its on the opposite side of the field... not when you're playing away and on your own 40 and get a TD scored on you and get the fans into the game again.

Im glad we won, but that doesn't mean that the call wasn't a bonehead call.

helmetguy
09-15-2003, 05:33 AM
I didn't say it wasn't a bonehead call. Had it worked, it would have been a highlight reel moment. It's just a comfort to know that this year's edition is able to overcome mistakes much easier than last year's. Last year, it could have led to disaster.

TypicalBill
09-15-2003, 05:35 AM
Originally posted by helmetguy
I didn't say it wasn't a bonehead call. Had it worked, it would have been a highlight reel moment. It's just a comfort to know that this year's edition is able to overcome mistakes much easier than last year's. Last year, it could have led to disaster.

agreed :up:

TheGhostofJimKelly
09-15-2003, 07:17 AM
Actually I think it was a great play. It shows Williams that against a better team he dare not try anything like that.

Dozerdog
09-15-2003, 07:39 AM
1) I like the idea Williams has the guts to try something like this

2) I hate the idea he is willing to try this at that junction of the game

3) It was a horribly designed fake

Trick plays (and I'm repeating myself here) are to swing momentum in your favor. If the field has been tilted your way all game, why risk tilting the field back in their direction? If you wanted to go for it, leave Bledsoe & crew out there.

A trick play that backfires has a complete opposite effect- it takes momentum away from you- - pin them at their 5 yard line.

Brian Griese Rulz
09-15-2003, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by helmetguy
Okay, it may not have been the smartest, safest, or well conceived play of the game. Just the same, isn't it comforting to know that the team is good enough to overcome a mistake like that? Last year at this time, it woulda come back to haunt 'em. That was then, this is now. Would you rather punt on fourth and two AGAIN? Remember last year vs. New England? When last I checked, the final score against the Jags was STILL 38-17! What did the play REALLY cost???

That's what I thought! it cost us NOTHING!

Last year we were down by 17 and the Ball was on our own 32 yardline. And we needed to get back in the game.

This year the Ball was on our 44, up by 14, D hasn't allowed a point all year. You punt the ball and pin the Jags back in their own end.

And it cost us 7 points and changed the momentum of the game. Luckily we scored right before half and took it back. Could have been a whole different game going into the lockeroom 14-7.

Gregg's coaching will cost us a game this year.

helmetguy
09-15-2003, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Brian Griese Rulz
Last year we were down by 17 and the Ball was on our own 32 yardline. And we needed to get back in the game.

This year the Ball was on our 44, up by 14, D hasn't allowed a point all year. You punt the ball and pin the Jags back in their own end.

Gregg's coaching will cost us a game this year.

That's the "conventional wisdom." We know the outcome of the play in this case. It made the game a real nail-biter for all of what, two minutes? Lesson learned. Then, again, it's comforting to know that this team CAN take chances every once in awhile.

Oh yeah, GW's coaching WILL cost us a game or two. With the horses we have now, this team could make a winner out of Rick Venuri!