PDA

View Full Version : Everybody thought that when we drafted Big Mike

Earthquake Enyart
09-15-2003, 06:12 AM
and signed Teague and moved him to center, that we would have a "road grater" type of line. There was a point, I think right before halftime, that we had a 3rd and 1, and threw the ball (incomplete). Then on 4th and 1, we threw it again. One would think that we could pound out a yard at will, especially behind the greated Bill of all time, Ruben Brown, but it just isn't happening. I think we still have a problem or two in the line (RG and maybe LT) that is keeping us from having the power running game that we all think they should have.

The Spaz
09-15-2003, 06:42 AM
Then on theh otherside of the the o-line didn't allow a sack and Bledsoe had all day to throw so you can take the good with the bad I guess.

Earthquake Enyart
09-15-2003, 06:45 AM
I'm with you, but we just can't get that one yard when we need it.

Turf
09-15-2003, 07:07 AM
I know which series you're talking about and I don't get it either, why we just didn't run twice for 1 yard if we were going to go for it on 4th.

TheGhostofJimKelly
09-15-2003, 07:15 AM
I am just guessing here but it would seem that there were 3 #1 draft picks on the D-Line it might have been best to throw against that terrible secondary.

ryven
09-15-2003, 07:24 AM
They were playing the run. I agree it should have probably been better henry should have had double that if not triple, but they played run, but bledsoe like he did will pick you a part.

Dozerdog
09-15-2003, 07:28 AM
On the flip side- if they are going to give you 15-20 yards a crack via the air- take it

When you are completing 75% of your passes-stick with what worked all day

Dozerdog
09-15-2003, 07:31 AM
Everyone wants to jump ont he O Line- but i think socal brought up the point that it could have been a slight concussion or some "fogginess" on Henry's part. Their LB Mitchell sent himself to the hospital early in the game when he led with his head on an early helmet on helmet tackle on Henry-

I think Henry might have been dazed on that play.

clumping platelets
09-15-2003, 07:39 AM
DO WHATEVER IT TAKES TO WIN THE GAME!!

:rolleyes:

The Spaz
09-15-2003, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by clumping platelets
DO WHATEVER IT TAKES TO WIN THE GAME!!

:rolleyes:

Exactly, in the end that's all that matters!:bling:

Earthquake Enyart
09-15-2003, 07:45 AM
On short yardage plays, Gilbride doesn't have the guts to play power football.

The Spaz
09-15-2003, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
On short yardage plays, Gilbride doesn't have the guts to play power football.

I think Henry's TD runs were 1,4,6 yards. I think that qualifies....lol:)!

Earthquake Enyart
09-15-2003, 08:51 AM
One of the TD's was out of the shotgun. That's not exactly power football.

Jan Reimers
09-15-2003, 09:56 AM
I think the O line may be farther ahead on pass blocking at this point. Jonas Jennings has done a pretty good job of protecting Drew in these first two games. We seem a little reticent to run in what should be normal running situations - which may be a way of crossing the other team up, or it may more likely be that our run blocking isn't quite there yet.

colin
09-15-2003, 10:16 AM
EE, you are a few years behind the times.

It is VERY VERY hard to run on 3rd and short in the NFL today, especially against a big and very talented D line.

If they are focussing on the run, and have 8 or 9 in the box, then running is next to impossible, especialy against fresh legs early in the season. Grounding out yards happens well over all 3 downs late in games late in the season, but I'll take our O.

The_Philster
09-15-2003, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by colin
EE, you are a few years behind the times.

It is VERY VERY hard to run on 3rd and short in the NFL today, especially against a big and very talented D line.

The best teams do it though.

colin
09-15-2003, 04:31 PM
Not the last 3 who won the SB. It helps, but no one is automatic on 3rd and short anymore.