PDA

View Full Version : The running game was as effective as it needs to be

Judge
09-15-2003, 09:07 AM
Who cares how we get the ball into the red zone! The key is being able to pound the ball into the endzone when we're in the red zone.

The Bills' running game has been outstanding so far inside the opponent's 20-yard line. I don't care at all about average yards per carry. As long as the o-line can dominate the line of scrimmage inside the 20 and Henry v=can find a lane to get that 2-yard TD run, I'm satisfied with the running game.

As for the rest of the field, the Bills should continue to do what they're doing- whatever works. They exploited a weak Jags secondary to perfection. Only a moron would suggest that it was bad strategy to let Drew do the long ball game when the DB's were weak and single-covering Moulds, etc.

A brilliant game called by Gilbride!

Earthquake Enyart
09-15-2003, 09:10 AM
So, you're ok with 21 carries for 28 yards.

Judge
09-15-2003, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
So, you're ok with 21 carries for 28 yards.

Yup, when the running game also had 3 TD's and the Bills won by 21!

Aren't you?

Jan Reimers
09-15-2003, 09:12 AM
While the running game has been terrific in the Red Zone, it needs to be better in the other 80 yards if we are to be a truly great team. It's the one area that concerns me most after the Jags game, but at least KG didn't abandon it.

Judge
09-15-2003, 09:13 AM
PS- they still had 30 runs for the game, right? That meets the Marv Levy quota for winning (teams that run 30+ times win a large % of the time).

Yards per carry is overrated. All we need is a sufficiently effective running threat to set Drew up, and an effective enough running game to get the toiugh short yardage/goalline yards.

Judge
09-15-2003, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by Jan Reimers
While the running game has been terrific in the Red Zone, it needs to be better in the other 80 yards if we are to be a truly great team. It's the one area that concerns me most after the Jags game, but at least KG didn't abandon it.

Do whatever works. Yesterday, it looked to me like the Jags had 8 guys stacking the line and were single-coverage on Moulds. What would you do? Force the running game or get the ball to Moulds one-on-one?

I'd choose Moulds.

Nex week, if the Dolhins overcompensate, to slow Drew down, then the Bills have been sufficiently effective in the running game to shift to that. They've kept the playcalling sufficiently in line to keep the running game a threat regardless of yards per carry.

Earthquake Enyart
09-15-2003, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by Judge

Yards per carry is overrated. All we need is a sufficiently effective running threat to set Drew up, and an effective enough running game to get the toiugh short yardage/goalline yards.

So why do we throw the ball over half the time on 3rd and 4th and one?

justasportsfan
09-15-2003, 09:16 AM

Yup, when the running game also had 3 TD's and the Bills won by 21!

Aren't you?

Not me. If we ever faced a better D backfield than the Jags w/ a better pass rush, we could be in trouble if we can't run the ball better.

Patrick76777
09-15-2003, 09:18 AM
Yesterday the Jags played the run. We knew that. That's why Bledsoe had all day and sliced them up.

Henry was at 3 yards a carry before he lost 9 on one play.

in the 2nd half, we were up by a ton and J-ville knew we were going to run.

If we keep getting these leads it'll hurt Henry's numbers. Because in the 3rd quarter with a 21 point lead, everyone in the stadium knows that you're going to run. It's not hard for the D to stop that.

Brian Griese Rulz
09-15-2003, 09:22 AM
When Burns came in the game the Jags knew the Bills were in run mode and Burns still out played Henry.

Voltron
When a team constantly puts 8 or even 9 men in the box how are you supposed to block for that? I mean we kept with the running game the entire game and that says a lot to the Gilbride naysayers! He will stick with the run and we will torch secondaries with our QB and WR combos that we have if teams continue not to give Drew and our WR any respect. We have an awesome 2-pronged attack and a D that can make up for some offensive mistakes. On to Miami and lets hope they are not to beat up after a very physical game.

Earthquake Enyart
Championship football teams can line up and get one yard when they need it. I'm not sure we can.

This is why I've always thought that Big Mike should be playing LT. Between him and Ruben, they should be able to get a yard.

Patrick76777
09-15-2003, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by Brian Griese Rulz
When Burns came in the game the Jags knew the Bills were in run mode and Burns still out played Henry.

7 carries for 22 yards??????

If you use Wys logic and take away his longest run, he had 6 carries for 14 yards.

Look out hall of fame!

Judge
09-15-2003, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
Championship football teams can line up and get one yard when they need it. I'm not sure we can.

Haven't you seen Travis Henry's TD runs? They answer your question pretty definitively.

RedEyE
09-15-2003, 09:26 AM
The running game is detremental to the outcome of any game. We all know that. I partially agree with Judge on this. The running game was outstanding when it counted. However, it needs to get a hell of a lot better soon. Drew and the passing game should not be expected to carry this team the entire season. History has shown that Bledsoe tires as the season wears on. Not to mention that the running is your bread and butter once the incliment weather sets in.

Patrick76777
09-15-2003, 09:28 AM

Haven't you seen Travis Henry's TD runs? They answer your question pretty definitively.

I agree, I don't think they passed because they didn't think they could run it. I think they passed to fool them.

Brian Griese Rulz
09-15-2003, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by Voltron
When a team constantly puts 8 or even 9 men in the box how are you supposed to block for that? I mean we kept with the running game the entire game and that says a lot to the Gilbride naysayers! .

Cleveland did that yesterday against J. Lewis and look what he did.

Henry doesn't have the speed or quickness to be a dominate back like Portis, Holmes,Williams, Tomlinson, Alexander, Lewis, Faulk,Taylor.

He will make good trade bait in next years draft. Maybe to Houston, Arizona, Dallas, Tampa, or the Eagles. They could use a upgrade in the RB department. And we got Mcgahee to fill in for Henry.

Voltron
09-15-2003, 09:44 AM
The Browns don't have 4 1st round picks on the Dl like the Jags do. The Browns run D sucks!

Patrick76777
09-15-2003, 09:47 AM
The Browns have a TERRIBLE front 7.

The jags aren't great in that dept. but their D-Line is Very good.

Patrick76777
09-15-2003, 09:47 AM
Beat me Volt, but the point is so big it's worth repeating. The Browns front 7 is real BAD!