PDA

View Full Version : Letting a little air out ....

jaja54
09-17-2003, 08:14 AM
of your bubble.

USA Today article on tendency of teams that begin 2-0 not making the playoffs....

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2003-09-16-playoffs-undefeated_x.htm

Quote:
In fact, since 1998 just 23 of 44 teams have made the playoffs after beginning 2-0, and the number has declined each year. And last season two teams (the Pittsburgh Steelers and Atlanta Falcons) that started 0-2 reached the playoffs and only one 2-0 team (the Oakland Raiders) accomplished the feat.

So, Enjoy it while it lasts. (I don't blame you, I would too) BUT, it's a long long season and many things change along the way.

Im in Wichita KS at the moment and have had much time to talk to you guys about the upcoming game. I feel it will be close.

Good luck on Sunday! Well, not too much luck.

Patrick76777
09-17-2003, 08:18 AM
I feel good about it. This team is strong on both sides of the ball. Teams like Washington and Carolina and the Vikes will struggle.

Ð
09-17-2003, 08:27 AM
Yeah, I can understand the Phins startying the season at 2-0 and not making the playoffs....that's a given. :rofl:

lordofgun
09-17-2003, 08:32 AM
This has no relevance to a team of the Bills' caliber.

IHateTheDullphins
09-17-2003, 08:46 AM
Here's some tendencies for you-jarjar

Since 1991, 9 out of 10 Dull Fans produced no intelligent points.
7 out of those 9, have had the same mullet since then as well.
Last year the Dullfins were handled not once, but TWICE, by a defense that couldn't stop an arena league offense. Good luck, you'll definitely need it. Don't worry, we didn't lose any air.

Tatonka
09-17-2003, 08:50 AM
does it have any stats for what teams that start 3-0 after beating the ***** of the fish do in the playoffs?

R. Rich
09-17-2003, 09:00 AM
Good post, jaja54. One thing I always point to when they get into this 2-0 start crap is the year the Bills went 2-0 to start the season AND beat two teams that beat them in the Super Bowl before (Giants, Cowboys-who started that year 0-2). What happened that year? We lost another Super Bowl to the Cowboys. The good start is nice, but we have another 14 games to go before talking Super Bowls and all that.

Dozerdog
09-17-2003, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by jaja54
of your bubble.

USA Today article on tendency of teams that begin 2-0 not making the playoffs....

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2003-09-16-playoffs-undefeated_x.htm

Quote:
In fact, since 1998 just 23 of 44 teams have made the playoffs after beginning 2-0, and the number has declined each year. And last season two teams (the Pittsburgh Steelers and Atlanta Falcons) that started 0-2 reached the playoffs and only one 2-0 team (the Oakland Raiders) accomplished the feat.

So, Enjoy it while it lasts. (I don't blame you, I would too) BUT, it's a long long season and many things change along the way.

Im in Wichita KS at the moment and have had much time to talk to you guys about the upcoming game. I feel it will be close.

This stat is stupid.

The NFL makes a conscious effort to schedule marquee games in week 1- they usually like to have their "grudge matches" lead the schedule- Playoff teams that battled the year before, or good offdseason story lines. This year it was TB/Philly, OAK/Tenn, plus other grudge matches like Pats/Bills, Skins/Jets. The NFL wants top ratings early, so high caliber teams have a high % of losing a game in week 1 or 2.

On the Flip side, some teams' records are artificially inflated by the early schedule- If you are lucky enough to get The Cards, Bears, Texans, or Jets off the bat, you should be 2-0 with a relatively average squad.

Buffalo Played a Pats team that has basically the same makeup as their 2001 SB squad (minus Milloy) and a Jaguars team, albeit winless, is a decent club.

Besides, statistically, the odds are 25% of the league on an average year will be 2-0 just through random probability. Are the Vikings a playoff team? Is Philadelphia that bad?

Jan Reimers
09-17-2003, 09:27 AM
I'd still rather be 2-0 than 0-2. Stats are generally about as useful as a Fin Fan - you know, tits on a bull, screen door on a submarine, etc.

AG75
09-17-2003, 10:19 AM
Whew, and here I thought JaJa was implying he was about to pass gas. What a relief!!

saviorbledsoe
09-17-2003, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by R. Rich
Good post, jaja54. One thing I always point to when they get into this 2-0 start crap is the year the Bills went 2-0 to start the season AND beat two teams that beat them in the Super Bowl before (Giants, Cowboys-who started that year 0-2). What happened that year? We lost another Super Bowl to the Cowboys. The good start is nice, but we have another 14 games to go before talking Super Bowls and all that.

So you call going to the Superbowl a bad year?????? Give me a god damn break!

Patrick76777
09-17-2003, 10:31 AM
Plus we get a tremendous Home field advantage at the end of the Season. So any wins we pile up now, will just added to what we get later!

DrewBledsoeDynasty
09-17-2003, 10:44 AM
jaja talks a big game......... let the speaking be done on the field.... when we bust up that miami secondary.... jaja all you'll be hearing is "Bledsoe to Moulds".

doug45
09-17-2003, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by Ð
Yeah, I can understand the Phins startying the season at 2-0 and not making the playoffs....that's a given.

:rofl:

TheGhostofJimKelly
09-17-2003, 10:48 AM
What happens to 3-0 teams?

Judge
09-17-2003, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by jaja54
of your bubble.

Quote:

Trends are BS. The Bills started 1998 0-3 and made the playoffs at 10-6. The trends said that generally teams that start 0-3 don't make the playoffs. Who cares what the trends say?

I love that Brittany-Madonna pic, by the way.

SABURZFAN
09-17-2003, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by AG75
Whew, and here I thought JaJa was implying he was about to pass gas. What a relief!!

wanna pull my finger?it'll be a relief to me.:snicker2:

cordog
09-17-2003, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by IHateTheDullphins
Here's some tendencies for you-jarjar

Since 1991, 9 out of 10 Dull Fans produced no intelligent points.
7 out of those 9, have had the same mullet since then as well.
Last year the Dullfins were handled not once, but TWICE, by a defense that couldn't stop an arena league offense. Good luck, you'll definitely need it. Don't worry, we didn't lose any air.

dude you crack me up

TigerJ
09-17-2003, 05:14 PM
I saw something that said of the teams that started 2-0 last year (there were 6-8 I've forgotten exactly how many) only Oakland went to the playoffs. To me that might be a stat that would encourage me to have hope if I didn't start out 2-0 and encourage me not to take any game for granted. I don't and I don't think the Bills are doing that. It's hardly a reason to be fearful. It's better to be 2-0 than 0-2 or 1-1.

I do think that quality of wins might have a lot to do with the validity or lack thereof of the 2-0 advantage. Buffalo has two very impressive wins. NE was picked by some to be a playoff team if not a Super Bowl contender. They followed their pasting at the hands of the Bills by beating up on Philadelphia, a team a lot of people picked to go to the Super Bowl. You can say all you want about the Milloy effect, which certainly had a lot to do with NE's ability to play, but oddsmakers and bettors who knew about it most of the week leading up to the game never figured it for a 31 - zip blowout. Carolina only just won their game with Jacksonville and went on to beat the Super Bowl champions last Sunday. They're now considered top 10 (Vic Carucci - NFL Insider). That says to me that Buffalo not only beat two quality opponents, we chewed 'em up and spit 'em out. Compared to some of the other 2-0 teams, Buffalo's wins probably should carry a little more weight (Washington).

Tatonka
09-17-2003, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by TigerJ
I saw something that said of the teams that started 2-0 last year (there were 6-8 I've forgotten exactly how many) only Oakland went to the playoffs. To me that might be a stat that would encourage me to have hope if I didn't start out 2-0 and encourage me not to take any game for granted. I don't and I don't think the Bills are doing that. It's hardly a reason to be fearful. It's better to be 2-0 than 0-2 or 1-1.

I do think that quality of wins might have a lot to do with the validity or lack thereof of the 2-0 advantage. Buffalo has two very impressive wins. NE was picked by some to be a playoff team if not a Super Bowl contender. They followed their pasting at the hands of the Bills by beating up on Philadelphia, a team a lot of people picked to go to the Super Bowl. You can say all you want about the Milloy effect, which certainly had a lot to do with NE's ability to play, but oddsmakers and bettors who knew about it most of the week leading up to the game never figured it for a 31 - zip blowout. Carolina only just won their game with Jacksonville and went on to beat the Super Bowl champions last Sunday. They're now considered top 10 (Vic Carucci - NFL Insider). That says to me that Buffalo not only beat two quality opponents, we chewed 'em up and spit 'em out. Compared to some of the other 2-0 teams, Buffalo's wins probably should carry a little more weight (Washington).

man.. that is a good post Tiger..

imbondz
09-17-2003, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
This stat is stupid.

The NFL makes a conscious effort to schedule marquee games in week 1- they usually like to have their "grudge matches" lead the schedule- Playoff teams that battled the year before, or good offdseason story lines. This year it was TB/Philly, OAK/Tenn, plus other grudge matches like Pats/Bills, Skins/Jets. The NFL wants top ratings early, so high caliber teams have a high % of losing a game in week 1 or 2.

On the Flip side, some teams' records are artificially inflated by the early schedule- If you are lucky enough to get The Cards, Bears, Texans, or Jets off the bat, you should be 2-0 with a relatively average squad.

Buffalo Played a Pats team that has basically the same makeup as their 2001 SB squad (minus Milloy) and a Jaguars team, albeit winless, is a decent club.

Besides, statistically, the odds are 25% of the league on an average year will be 2-0 just through random probability. Are the Vikings a playoff team? Is Philadelphia that bad?

:bf1:

exactly.