PDA

View Full Version : Hoping for a clean game with no injuries

PhinPhan1227
09-17-2003, 08:38 AM
Win or lose, I'm hoping that both teams will come out clean, and the refs do their job for a change. So far this season I haven't been very impressed with the zebra's skills, but hopefully they've gotten over the preseason by week 3. As for the game itself, if Miami continues to improve their pass D/pass rush, we should be able to pressure the Bills into a Henry versus Ricky duel..and may the best RB win. Then again, with both backs penchant for fumbles, this could be a 10+ turnover game.

snow1989
09-17-2003, 08:45 AM
I agree with the whole 'zebra skills' comments...might just be me, but this year seems to be horrendous for the officiating....
...and yes, I hope both teams come out of it clean...injuries are a natural part of the game, but I prefer to see the front-lines go at it...no excuses that way...

Jan Reimers
09-17-2003, 08:46 AM
Ricky "won" last year. We won both games, however, and we're much better this year. I'm expecting a clean game and a big Bills win.

Tatonka
09-17-2003, 08:48 AM
phin, no way this turns into a ricky vs henry duel..

drew will torch the worst pass defense in the league.

ryven
09-17-2003, 08:49 AM
PhinPhan I think they were in mid season form in preseason and I dont think they will get any better. I do agree with you on Hoping for no or no serious injuries though.

TedMock
09-17-2003, 08:56 AM
I haven't been overly impressed with the refs this year either. I still have yet to see a ref win or lose a game though. Bad calls and non-calls go both ways. They do seem worse so far this season than usual though.

mybills
09-17-2003, 09:00 AM
:cheers: to no injuries!

Smoked fish goes great with :beer: ! :snicker:

PhinPhan1227
09-17-2003, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by Tatonka
phin, no way this turns into a ricky vs henry duel..

drew will torch the worst pass defense in the league.

If our Secondary plays the way it has, than you're correct, and we'll get blown out. If the Secondary goes back to playing at it's 2002 level however and our pass rush does the same, I think we can make it a good game. You guys have gotten better, but so has our passing game.

PhinPhan1227
09-17-2003, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by ryven
PhinPhan I think they were in mid season form in preseason and I dont think they will get any better. I do agree with you on Hoping for no or no serious injuries though.

We'll see. I can point to the failed experiment with zone D as a big part of our troubles in the Secondary, but we'll see Sunday how well that's been tweaked.

LtBillsFan66
09-17-2003, 09:23 AM
I hope Ricky blows out his knee.

lordofgun
09-17-2003, 09:24 AM
I'm hoping for no crybaby excuses after we beat the hell out of them.

LtBillsFan66
09-17-2003, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by lordofgun
I'm hoping for no crybaby excuses after we beat the hell out of them.

I actually enjoy the excuses.

PhinPhan1227
09-17-2003, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by billsfanone
I hope Ricky blows out his knee.

Cheering for injuries...the ultimate hallmark of a true scumbag.

lordofgun
09-17-2003, 09:27 AM
I actually enjoy the excuses.

I used to. Now they're just annoying. :bug:

Dozerdog
09-17-2003, 09:28 AM
I doubt it will become a Henry/Williams duel.

Scenarios-

1- Bledsoe torches the worst Pass D in the league, put s Buffalo up, then Henry runs them down in the second half. Ricky becomes a non factor as the fins play catch up

2- Fins replay the Jag's mistake, sell out to stop the run, henry has a poor day, Bledsoe torches the fins

3- Buffalo has a cold start, Ricky and the fins use ball controll, keep Bledsoe off the field, and when Buffalo does get the Ball, they throw to get back into it. Henry becomes a non- factor

4- Miami over plays the pass, (play nickle on a lot of downs) , blitzes a lot, opening the running game / big success on draw plays. Henry has a big day, Ricky is a non factor as Miami plays catch up

LtBillsFan66
09-17-2003, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by PhinPhan1227
Cheering for injuries...the ultimate hallmark of a true scumbag.

I was kidding you teal wearing wuss.

Here you go -----> {spit}

I just spit in your face!

RedEyE
09-17-2003, 09:33 AM

:rofl:

ryven
09-17-2003, 09:36 AM
I dont know they seem pretty adiment about staying with the zone schemes and I just dont understand why. You need alot of speed in your line backers and back and maybe the whole D. Since the addition of seau and knight if anything they might have lost a step and should go back to and stick with there old style of D.

PhinPhan1227
09-17-2003, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by ryven
I dont know they seem pretty adiment about staying with the zone schemes and I just dont understand why. You need alot of speed in your line backers and back and maybe the whole D. Since the addition of seau and knight if anything they might have lost a step and should go back to and stick with there old style of D.

They shifted back to mostly man coverage for the Jets game, and I'm hoping they shift that even further back for the Bills.

PhinPhan1227
09-17-2003, 09:55 AM

Well, the utter lack of a "lol" or smiley makes that rather difficult to distinguish now doesn't it. As for spitting, now you have to clean your monitor...and really...you should have taken the dip out before you spit....ew.

LtBillsFan66
09-17-2003, 10:01 AM
Well, the utter lack of a "lol" or smiley makes that rather difficult to distinguish now doesn't it. As for spitting, now you have to clean your monitor...and really...you should have taken the dip out before you spit....ew.

It's chewing tabacco, not dip!

PhinPhan1227
09-17-2003, 10:28 AM

It's chewing tabacco, not dip!

Lol...either way, it must look like a Rorschach blot on your monitor...:nerd2:

TigerJ
09-17-2003, 06:24 PM
I likewise hope for a well called injury free game. That's a little much to expect from NFL referees though. The best we can legitimately hope for on that front is that officiating mistakes don't affect the outcome of the game. Regarding injuries, it is interesting to note that at least to this point Buffalo is starting the season like last year, unusually injury free. The only Bill on the injury report is Sam Aiken, probably with a hammy. That happened in practice or preseason, I don't know which.

I don't want to jinx the Bills by raising the issue. I know sometimes things happen and players get injured and there is nothing in the world that can prevent it. BUT, it makes me wonder of something about the Bills training regimen, conditioning standards, practice methodology or something reduces the the risk of injury for Buffalo players.

helmetguy
09-17-2003, 07:06 PM
If our Secondary plays the way it has, than you're correct, and we'll get blown out. If the Secondary goes back to playing at it's 2002 level however and our pass rush does the same, I think we can make it a good game. You guys have gotten better, but so has our passing game.

If your secondary reverts to its 2002 level, don't expect a very "clean" game. Madison and Surtain are the most notorious CBs in the league for holding, grabbing jersey's, etc.

On the flip side, just as your Passing game HAS improved (without Lucas taking the snaps, it SHOULD have improved), the Bills D has improved by a magnitude on every layer-D-line, speed at LB, and added experience at SS, to go along with two very good CBs in man coverage.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, reputations die hard. It is far too easy to project contenders and pretenders in April, based on the season past season. Few are willing to "go out on a limb" to project a .500 team as a real contender. That's why you're hearing the word "surprising" attached to this year's edition of the Bills. If I were a PhinPhan (heaven forbid) I would have serious trepidations about this Sunday's game.

Earthquake Enyart
09-17-2003, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by helmetguy
If your secondary reverts to its 2002 level, don't expect a very "clean" game. Madison and Surtain are the most notorious CBs in the league for holding, grabbing jersey's, etc.

On the flip side, just as your Passing game HAS improved (without Lucas taking the snaps, it SHOULD have improved), the Bills D has improved by a magnitude on every layer-D-line, speed at LB, and added experience at SS, to go along with two very good CBs in man coverage.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, reputations die hard. It is far too easy to project contenders and pretenders in April, based on the season past season. Few are willing to "go out on a limb" to project a .500 team as a real contender. That's why you're hearing the word "surprising" attached to this year's edition of the Bills. If I were a PhinPhan (heaven forbid) I would have serious trepidations about this Sunday's game.

No way this is helmetguy. Who stole his password? :eek:

helmetguy
09-17-2003, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
No way this is helmetguy. Who stole his password? :eek:

Sorry, EE, but this really is the one and only, truly original Helmetguy!

The_Philster
09-17-2003, 08:51 PM
Sorry, EE, but this really is the one and only, truly original Helmetguy!

He's getting scared to see the real you, MEAT! ;)

helmetguy
09-17-2003, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by The_Philster
He's getting scared to see the real you, MEAT! ;)

Why does that always happen?

Halbert
09-17-2003, 10:28 PM
For as much as you guys (perhaps rightfully) wail on Wys for quoting stats, all I see is you doing the same thing.

Banking on being able to pass at will against the Fish because they happen to be currently ranked last in passing yards allowed is dangerous at best and foolish at worst. It’s been only 2 freaking games, you can’t make sweeping judgments like that. Yeah, they stunk it up against Houston, but they gave up wads of yardage against the Jets because they were ahead 21-3 at halftime. What would you do as the coach in that situation? Play deep zones until the Jets showed they could exploit it, which they couldn’t. Under the circumstance, I wouldn’t care if the Bills gave up 1,000 yards passing if they had a big lead and won the game. The 32nd ranking is fools gold.

There isn’t a damn thing wrong with the Fish’s defense, except being guilty of inexcusable apathy in week 1. You can be absolutely sure that won’t be a problem this week. If the Bills aren’t fully prepared for the Fins best effort they will lose. And as I’ve said before, I don’t think the Bills can possibly match the Dolphins utter desperation and will lose a close game. That’s nothing to be ashamed of, the bastard Fins have a very strong team. Losing to Houston was a huge blow and they simply cannot afford to lose this game and go 2.5 games down to the Bills. If they do their entire season is literally in very serious jeopardy. There won’t be an ounce of effort left on the sidelines, they’ll leave everything on the field.

Conversely, the Bills can lose this game and still be in fine shape. Assuming both a win against Houston and a win in the rematch at home in December, they retain a two game advantage with all else being equal. At this point in the season the Bills simply can’t match the urgency that Miami will feel, it’s impossible. Sure, the Bills certainly could still win the game, but it appears the odds are stacked against them. The Fish’s backs are against the wall, while the Bills are simply not in the same situation right now. Usually that translates into a win for the good team on the brink.

To me, that all adds up to a Fish victory, as much as I hate to say it. Deny it if you like but if so you’re ignoring the obvious - because you want to …

The_Philster
09-18-2003, 03:03 AM
Originally posted by Halbert
For as much as you guys (perhaps rightfully) wail on Wys for quoting stats, all I see is you doing the same thing.

Banking on being able to pass at will against the Fish because they happen to be currently ranked last in passing yards allowed is dangerous at best and foolish at worst. It’s been only 2 freaking games, you can’t make sweeping judgments like that.
Very true...which is why I want to see a lot more balance than that. Their front four is hardly what we faced last week so we should be able to run on them.

Why does that always happen?

Have you looked in the mirror lately? Ya mutant!! :D

helmetguy
09-18-2003, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by The_Philster

Have you looked in the mirror lately? Ya mutant!! :D

I think he was referring to my prose, you evolutionary afterthought!

Dolfan984
09-18-2003, 04:15 PM
Our front four nothing like you faced last week? We have two solid players in Ogunleye and Chester and two probowlers in Taylor and Bowens as our front four. This is going to be the hardest D you've faced so far.

TigerJ
09-18-2003, 04:46 PM
Jacksonville front four: 2 probowlers, 2 young (2nd and 3rd year) first round draft choices. Jacksonville's DTs are younger but have every bit the potential of Miami's DTs. They are already considered to be very "solid."

Are Miami's front four any different from last year when Buffalo handled them?

Halbert
09-18-2003, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by Dolfan984
This is going to be the hardest D you've faced so far.
No doubt true. But the point was the Jag's DL, which is on par with Miami's, but not the D as a whole.

saviorbledsoe
09-18-2003, 07:56 PM

Banking on being able to pass at will against the Fish because they happen to be currently ranked last in passing yards allowed is dangerous at best and foolish at worst. It’s been only 2 freaking games, you can’t make sweeping judgments like that. Yeah, they stunk it up against Houston, but they gave up wads of yardage against the Jets because they were ahead 21-3 at halftime. What would you do as the coach in that situation? Play deep zones until the Jets showed they could exploit it, which they couldn’t. Under the circumstance, I wouldn’t care if the Bills gave up 1,000 yards passing if they had a big lead and won the game. The 32nd ranking is fools gold.

There isn’t a damn thing wrong with the Fish’s defense, except being guilty of inexcusable apathy in week 1. You can be absolutely sure that won’t be a problem this week. If the Bills aren’t fully prepared for the Fins best effort they will lose. And as I’ve said before, I don’t think the Bills can possibly match the Dolphins utter desperation and will lose a close game. That’s nothing to be ashamed of, the bastard Fins have a very strong team. Losing to Houston was a huge blow and they simply cannot afford to lose this game and go 2.5 games down to the Bills. If they do their entire season is literally in very serious jeopardy. There won’t be an ounce of effort left on the sidelines, they’ll leave everything on the field.

Conversely, the Bills can lose this game and still be in fine shape. Assuming both a win against Houston and a win in the rematch at home in December, they retain a two game advantage with all else being equal. At this point in the season the Bills simply can’t match the urgency that Miami will feel, it’s impossible. Sure, the Bills certainly could still win the game, but it appears the odds are stacked against them. The Fish’s backs are against the wall, while the Bills are simply not in the same situation right now. Usually that translates into a win for the good team on the brink.

To me, that all adds up to a Fish victory, as much as I hate to say it. Deny it if you like but if so you’re ignoring the obvious - because you want to …

You remind me of one of those people who play not to lose rather than playing to win. If we lose on the fact alone that Miami needs this game more than we will not be able to make it to the next level. We are going to play teams in the playoffs that have to win bad too. Your logic is dumb. And as a Bills fan you have lost your faith in the wagons. May they circle again for you brother!

saviorbledsoe
09-18-2003, 08:04 PM
Our front four nothing like you faced last week? We have two solid players in Ogunleye and Chester and two probowlers in Taylor and Bowens as our front four. This is going to be the hardest D you've faced so far.

If they are so tough..........HOW DID WE PUT UP 23 AND 38 POINTS ON THEM LAST YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:machgun: :fiedler:

Halbert
09-18-2003, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by saviorbledsoe
You remind me of one of those people who play not to lose rather than playing to win. If we lose on the fact alone that Miami needs this game more than we will not be able to make it to the next level. We are going to play teams in the playoffs that have to win bad too. Your logic is dumb. And as a Bills fan you have lost your faith in the wagons.
Um, ok.

I'd say I'm a realist. Forgive me, but I'd call you a homer. That's your perogative, of course, but it is a biased position that is simply not objective. My position is based on observation over the years. Yours is based on irrational exhuberance.

Fact is, this is NOT the playoffs. If the Bills lose, they know subconciously they live to play another day. Miami knows if they lose they likely will kiss the division goodbye and face the huge task of beating the Bills in the Ralph in December, which they know if far less than a 50/50 proposition.

Nevertheless, I hope you are correct.

saviorbledsoe
09-18-2003, 08:16 PM

Um, ok.

I'd say I'm a realist. Forgive me, but I'd call you a homer. That's your perogative, of course, but it is a biased position that is simply not objective. My position is based on observation over the years. Yours is based on irrational exhuberance.

Fact is, this is NOT the playoffs. If the Bills lose, they know subconciously they live to play another day. Miami knows if they lose they likely will kiss the division goodbye and face the huge task of beating the Bills in the Ralph in December, which they know if far less than a 50/50 proposition.

Nevertheless, I hope you are correct.

You are basing all your "observations" on years past with different players. You have no idea how hungry the 2003 Bills are. Are you in the locker room? I dont think so. I will enjoy winning your 1100 Zone bucks.

Halbert
09-18-2003, 08:22 PM
Cool. Good luck, my friend.

helmetguy
09-18-2003, 09:52 PM

I'd take NE's front seven over Miami's. In week 1, NE was able to put some pressure on Bledsoe, and did a pretty good job at containing Henry. Through two weeks, Miami has just one QB sack, and couldn't put significant pressure on Interceptaverde, who was protected by an O-line boasting at least two first time starters.

PhinPhan1227
09-19-2003, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by TigerJ
Jacksonville front four: 2 probowlers, 2 young (2nd and 3rd year) first round draft choices. Jacksonville's DTs are younger but have every bit the potential of Miami's DTs. They are already considered to be very "solid."

Are Miami's front four any different from last year when Buffalo handled them?

Hugh Douglas isn't playing like a ProBowler. I got to watch him during the preseason and he's lost several steps. Our 3rd round rookie was able to hold him to zero sacks tackles or assists.