PDA

View Full Version : A cure for the run or lack thereof

mchurchfie
09-22-2002, 09:55 PM
I think that the reason that they are not running good is because they keep trying these long developing running plays to the outside. They had their best luck running up the middle today and I think that they should keep doing it. You have a lot of beef in the middle, why not use quick hitting plays up the middle up behind Big Mike Williams. It is the most basic and fastest developing play and it would help young players like Mike Williams and Marcus Sullivan to have some success and build up their confidence. Slashing runs up the middle are also what Travis Henry is best at. Its time for some Smashmouth running, screw the finesse plays. :down:

Sabre Ally
09-22-2002, 11:57 PM
I agree, the few times they tried it they got some yards, but it seems like they abandoned it too readily.

Michael82
09-23-2002, 03:15 AM
That's what worked against the Jets too. They pounded it into the gut! Right in the middle.

shelby
09-23-2002, 04:24 AM
you tell them mchurch!:D

northernbillfan
09-23-2002, 04:34 AM
Henry did get the most yards on a play when he hammered it up the middle. It caught everyone by surprise.

Those long sweeps and end arounds never go very far.

The_Philster
09-23-2002, 04:42 AM
The amazing part about those runs up the gut working so well is that it indicates the middle of the O-Line is doing their job in run-blocking....yet why can't they pass-block?

THATHURMANATOR
09-23-2002, 09:25 AM
SMASHMOUTH!!!!!!!!!

SABURZFAN
09-23-2002, 09:30 AM
henry is not quick enough to get to the outside.i agree with running the ball between the tackles.

WG
09-23-2002, 10:15 AM
I don't understand this perception that we're even running well between the tackles...

We had maybe 4 or 5 good runs. After that, nothing. We averaged about 3 ypc. 25 of Henry's yards were on 3 carries leaving the other 9 to yield 10 yards, mostly up the middle. His TD was a sweep and IMO if it had been utm, he wouldn't have gotten in. Denver was so prepared for that since that's all we do from there, that the sweep threw them off. Hats off to Gilbride for mixing it up some in that situation!

IMO it's always good to run a sweep, not w/ Henry tho, occasionally to keep the D on it's toes. Bryson does have good speed around the ends.

Denver's a tough team to measure success for sweeps against however due to their very speedy LBs and good run-support DBs.

Ebenezer
09-23-2002, 11:05 AM
there were many a play when Henry got the ball and there were two defenders in his face...i am not sure this line can run block.