• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dolphinatic
    • Dec 2002

News: League, networks decry Bills’ “inevitable dominance”

League, networks decry Bills’ “inevitable dominance”

NEW YORK – According to NFL sources, commissioner Paul Tagliabue huddled with team owners and television network executives Thursday on a hastily organized conference call to discuss the implications for TV ratings and revenues of the Buffalo Bills’ inevitable dominance this season.

“Frankly, they’re starting to panic,” said one league official, speaking on the condition of anonymity. “By week five or six, we’re expecting attendance to drop pretty dramatically for most games, as fans start to realize that the Bills are unstoppable. From a business standpoint, this could pretty much ruin the year.”

Just two weeks into the season, the Bills have already posted impressive victories over the Patriots and Jaguars. Those teams finished a combined 15-17 last year and had been widely seen as the most likely spoilers to an undefeated Bills season.

If fans outside Buffalo abandon interest in the NFL, the impact on ticket revenue would be marginal, since so many seats are pre-sold. But attendance would be dismal, forcing television networks to broadcast games played to empty stands and home viewership measured in the thousands.

“Advertisers are getting antsy and asking about renegotiation,” said one Fox Sports executive, who declined to be identified. “We’re already talking to Ron Popeil about running that rotisserie grill infomercial at halftimes, instead of highlights from other meaningless games.”

Network executives are reportedly scrambling to plan for broadcasts which would not show the vast areas of empty seats at stadia nationwide, and with pre-recorded crowd noise edited in. Reportedly, Raiders owner Al Davis suggested distributing tickets to the homeless in order to fill at least one or two sections, which would be used as background for carefully planned camera angles. Davis also proposed recruiting from mental institutions and prisons.

“We already do this in Oakland,” Davis allegedly said, “looking for the nuttiest characters we can find, and it works just fine.” (Raiders officials declined to comment, referring all inquiries to “those league office jerkoffs.”)

Buffalo travels to Miami this week for a nationally televised game Sunday evening. In his Thursday press conference, Dolphins coach Dave Wannstadt angrily denied that the game was a “formality” or that many of his players were “too frightened to show up,” as one Miami newspaper reported. Also Thursday, five Dolphins including Ricky Williams and Jason Taylor were added to the injury list as questionable to play, four suffering from nasal congestion and one from “the vapors.”

On Thursday’s conference call, Bills executives told their colleagues to “quit whining” and proposed moving all remaining Buffalo games to Monday nights as the best way to salvage some public interest. “But how many times,” said the NFL insider, “will people tune in to hear [ABC commentator John] Madden gush about the greatest team in the history of the game?”

The proposal considered most likely in the short term involved instructing game officials to do whatever they deemed necessary to keep Bills games competitive, focusing on “judgment” penalties which cannot be reviewed. The league source acknowledged that rigging the games is extreme, but owners believe it’s less likely to be noticed since “the officiating is inconsistent anyway, and Bills fans are already used to blaming any setbacks on the refs.”

Officials in the Bills’ front office would not speak on the record, but one confirmed that there had been “discussion about certain concerns by the usual cry-babies around the league.” He said the team had offered to play its starting lineup only during the first half each week, an idea quickly rejected by other teams since the scenario is already a virtual certainty as Buffalo seeks to avoid injury to a roster packed with future Hall of Famers.

“It’s not like our players are going to get hurt anyway,” said the Bills source, “since most opponents just bounce off them, if they can catch up to them at all. But we have to deal with the risk of tripping over someone and spraining an ankle. It’s a rough game.

“That’s all I can say right now. We’re off to a meeting with city officials about our parade.”
    Be proud, Bills fans. Thanks to the NFL's changes to encourage
    parity, your record of four consecutive Super Bowl losses will
    stand unmatched in our lifetimes and beyond.
  • Bufftp
    Hi Dave!

Administrator Emeritus
    • Jul 2002

very creative smack for a phin fan, oh wait a minute you just substituted Bufalo and Bills for miami and Dolphins from an actual miami herald pre-season article!

very creative indeed, very well written 3 1/2 stars.
    Photobucket

In the end, there are only three liberal archetypes: The fools, the beneficiaries and the crooks.
    "If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day, but if you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life"
    Optyimus Ignorus Realityious!

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, to assure the survival and the success of liberty.
    - John F. Kennedy, January 20, 1961

To live in the presence of great truths and eternal laws,
    to be led by permanent ideals -
    that is what keeps a man patient
    when the world ignores him,
    and calm and unspoiled when the world praises him. -- Honore De Balzac

Comment

• OpIv37
      Acid Douching Asswipe
      • Sep 2002

I detect a hint of cynicism in this post. Even though I'm a Bills fan, I thoroughly enjoyed it.
      MiKiDo Facebook
      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• The Spaz
        • Mar 2003

It's all f:angry: ing true!

Comment

• saviorbledsoe
          All-Pro Zoner
          • Jul 2003

Edited by mod for Tos violation
          bufftp

Comment

• RedEyE
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by saviorbledsoe
            Edited by mod for Tos violation
            bufftp

Whoa!

Comment

• Brian H
              All-Pro Zoner
              • Nov 2002

Fidel Castro is pissed now....
              ProFootballCentral.com

Comment

• saviorbledsoe
                All-Pro Zoner
                • Jul 2003

Yep I was bad. Miami is not a good team and I wish bad things on them. They can go to h e double hockeysticks.

Comment

• XNOUGHT
                  • Mar 2003

HEY!

That article was written about the Pats before the seasons started
                  I'm lost.

Comment

• imbondz
                    Democrats are people too
                    • Jan 2003

Originally posted by The Spaz
                    It's all f:angry: ing true!
                    I agree.
                    My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                      Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                      • May 2003

Dolphinatic - The premise of your signature is probably correct. I imagine that you're happy not to have won those four consecutive AFC championships, particularly with the Fins having done so well in their one and only Super Bowl appearance of the Marino era.
                      Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• gunzlingr
                        • Jul 2002

I love your sig SaviorBledsoe! Even if it is huge.
                        You think you're hot **** in a champagne glass, but you're really cold diarrhea in a Dixie cup!

Comment

• TigerJ
                          • Jul 2002

Very funny smack, Dolphinatic! I really liked it.
                          I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• WNYnut
                            • Jul 2002

It pains me to say this as a huge Bills fan, but that was utterly hillarious!
                            "Remember, you can always find East by staring directly at the sun."

Comment

• Cntrygal
                              Visually stunning but camera-shy.
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Dolphinatic
                              League, networks decry Bills’ “inevitable dominance”

The proposal considered most likely in the short term involved instructing game officials to do whatever they deemed necessary to keep Bills games competitive, focusing on “judgment” penalties which cannot be reviewed. The league source acknowledged that rigging the games is extreme, but owners believe it’s less likely to be noticed since “the officiating is inconsistent anyway, and Bills fans are already used to blaming any setbacks on the refs.”

lmao!!!! great job!!!
                              Originally posted by notacon
                              The biggest thing we learned from the Bills is that they are a resilient bunch and did what they had to do to win instead of past years where they fold like a cheap lawn chair.

For news, articles and other "stuff"... BillsZone.com

Comment

Working...
                              X