PDA

View Full Version : News: League, networks decry Bills’ “inevitable dominance”

Dolphinatic
09-18-2003, 05:45 PM
League, networks decry Bills’ “inevitable dominance”

NEW YORK – According to NFL sources, commissioner Paul Tagliabue huddled with team owners and television network executives Thursday on a hastily organized conference call to discuss the implications for TV ratings and revenues of the Buffalo Bills’ inevitable dominance this season.

“Frankly, they’re starting to panic,” said one league official, speaking on the condition of anonymity. “By week five or six, we’re expecting attendance to drop pretty dramatically for most games, as fans start to realize that the Bills are unstoppable. From a business standpoint, this could pretty much ruin the year.”

Just two weeks into the season, the Bills have already posted impressive victories over the Patriots and Jaguars. Those teams finished a combined 15-17 last year and had been widely seen as the most likely spoilers to an undefeated Bills season.

If fans outside Buffalo abandon interest in the NFL, the impact on ticket revenue would be marginal, since so many seats are pre-sold. But attendance would be dismal, forcing television networks to broadcast games played to empty stands and home viewership measured in the thousands.

“Advertisers are getting antsy and asking about renegotiation,” said one Fox Sports executive, who declined to be identified. “We’re already talking to Ron Popeil about running that rotisserie grill infomercial at halftimes, instead of highlights from other meaningless games.”

Network executives are reportedly scrambling to plan for broadcasts which would not show the vast areas of empty seats at stadia nationwide, and with pre-recorded crowd noise edited in. Reportedly, Raiders owner Al Davis suggested distributing tickets to the homeless in order to fill at least one or two sections, which would be used as background for carefully planned camera angles. Davis also proposed recruiting from mental institutions and prisons.

“We already do this in Oakland,” Davis allegedly said, “looking for the nuttiest characters we can find, and it works just fine.” (Raiders officials declined to comment, referring all inquiries to “those league office jerkoffs.”)

Buffalo travels to Miami this week for a nationally televised game Sunday evening. In his Thursday press conference, Dolphins coach Dave Wannstadt angrily denied that the game was a “formality” or that many of his players were “too frightened to show up,” as one Miami newspaper reported. Also Thursday, five Dolphins including Ricky Williams and Jason Taylor were added to the injury list as questionable to play, four suffering from nasal congestion and one from “the vapors.”

On Thursday’s conference call, Bills executives told their colleagues to “quit whining” and proposed moving all remaining Buffalo games to Monday nights as the best way to salvage some public interest. “But how many times,” said the NFL insider, “will people tune in to hear [ABC commentator John] Madden gush about the greatest team in the history of the game?”

The proposal considered most likely in the short term involved instructing game officials to do whatever they deemed necessary to keep Bills games competitive, focusing on “judgment” penalties which cannot be reviewed. The league source acknowledged that rigging the games is extreme, but owners believe it’s less likely to be noticed since “the officiating is inconsistent anyway, and Bills fans are already used to blaming any setbacks on the refs.”

Officials in the Bills’ front office would not speak on the record, but one confirmed that there had been “discussion about certain concerns by the usual cry-babies around the league.” He said the team had offered to play its starting lineup only during the first half each week, an idea quickly rejected by other teams since the scenario is already a virtual certainty as Buffalo seeks to avoid injury to a roster packed with future Hall of Famers.

“It’s not like our players are going to get hurt anyway,” said the Bills source, “since most opponents just bounce off them, if they can catch up to them at all. But we have to deal with the risk of tripping over someone and spraining an ankle. It’s a rough game.

“That’s all I can say right now. We’re off to a meeting with city officials about our parade.”

Bufftp
09-18-2003, 05:49 PM
:rofl: very creative smack for a phin fan, oh wait a minute you just substituted Bufalo and Bills for miami and Dolphins from an actual miami herald pre-season article! :snicker:

very creative indeed, very well written 3 1/2 stars.

OpIv37
09-18-2003, 05:50 PM
I detect a hint of cynicism in this post. Even though I'm a Bills fan, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

The Spaz
09-18-2003, 05:53 PM
It's all f:angry: ing true!:afro:

saviorbledsoe
09-18-2003, 06:09 PM
Edited by mod for Tos violation
bufftp

RedEyE
09-18-2003, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by saviorbledsoe
Edited by mod for Tos violation
bufftp

Whoa! :eek: :popcorn:

Brian H
09-18-2003, 06:18 PM
Fidel Castro is pissed now....

saviorbledsoe
09-18-2003, 06:58 PM
Yep I was bad. Miami is not a good team and I wish bad things on them. They can go to h e double hockeysticks.

XNOUGHT
09-18-2003, 07:06 PM
HEY!

That article was written about the Pats before the seasons started :ugly: :ugly:

imbondz
09-18-2003, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by The Spaz
It's all f:angry: ing true!:afro:

I agree.

Jan Reimers
09-19-2003, 06:06 AM
Dolphinatic - The premise of your signature is probably correct. I imagine that you're happy not to have won those four consecutive AFC championships, particularly with the Fins having done so well in their one and only Super Bowl appearance of the Marino era.

Gunzlingr
09-19-2003, 07:41 AM
I love your sig SaviorBledsoe! Even if it is huge.

TigerJ
09-19-2003, 07:51 AM
Very funny smack, Dolphinatic! I really liked it.

WNYnut
09-19-2003, 07:51 AM
It pains me to say this as a huge Bills fan, but that was utterly hillarious!

Cntrygal
09-19-2003, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Dolphinatic
League, networks decry Bills’ “inevitable dominance”

The proposal considered most likely in the short term involved instructing game officials to do whatever they deemed necessary to keep Bills games competitive, focusing on “judgment” penalties which cannot be reviewed. The league source acknowledged that rigging the games is extreme, but owners believe it’s less likely to be noticed since “the officiating is inconsistent anyway, and Bills fans are already used to blaming any setbacks on the refs.”

:lol:

lmao!!!! great job!!!

TedMock
09-19-2003, 10:21 AM
very good.

Jeff1220
09-19-2003, 02:18 PM
Very well written smack. I almost expected to see a link to the Onion at the end of that post.

LtBillsFan66
09-19-2003, 02:21 PM
I sense some plagiarism

Dolphinatic
09-19-2003, 06:46 PM
Thanks for the mostly kind words, everyone. It's been a long wait for Sunday, and I thought we needed a little something to help pass the time.

Originally posted by billsfanone
I sense some plagiarism

If you mean the identical posting at FH, I posted it both places, at about the same time. (After all, who else in his right mind would steal my avatar?)

SABURZFAN
09-19-2003, 06:52 PM
:boring:

saviorbledsoe
09-19-2003, 06:54 PM
Thanks for the mostly kind words, everyone. It's been a long wait for Sunday, and I thought we needed a little something to help pass the time.

If you mean the identical posting at FH, I posted it both places, at about the same time. (After all, who else in his right mind would steal my avatar?)

Youre a turd! And your team is going to lose by 35 pionts this Sunday. How ya like them apples?

The_Philster
09-19-2003, 06:57 PM
(After all, who else in his right mind would steal my avatar?)

Very true. :snicker:

Dolphinatic
09-20-2003, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by Jan Reimers
Dolphinatic - The premise of your signature is probably correct. I imagine that you're happy not to have won those four consecutive AFC championships, particularly with the Fins having done so well in their one and only Super Bowl appearance of the Marino era.

Since this is a Bills board, I have a Bills signature. It has nothing whatever to do with any other team.

Cntrygal
09-20-2003, 07:52 PM
Since this is a Bills board, I have a Bills signature. It has nothing whatever to do with any other team.

ouch. Now that hurt.

MDFINFAN
09-20-2003, 08:29 PM
This finally made it over here I see, and SD is his usual self LOL..one more day to one group of fans bashing the other group after this game..either way it goes, isn't good to know we still have another game to do it all over again....Good luck and hopefully no injuries to either team...there's still a lot of football to go, and this game is early in the season, both teams still need their starters for the rest of the season.. Go Phins..

bob the football fan
09-20-2003, 11:09 PM
And just where did this meeting take place....

AREA 51?????????????

WHERE WOULD YOU RATER BE THAN RIGHT HERE RIGHT NOW.
GO BILLS --- SQUISH THE FISH :fishfry: :gobills:

GOD BLESS AMERICA-- NEVER FORGET 09-11-01 :patriot: :cowboy: :yankee: :yankee: :yankee: :patriot:

HotRod
09-21-2003, 02:19 AM
Dolphinatic,

Very funny! Do you do this for all your games thru the season, just division rivals.... or just this one? If you write similar stuff, I'd like to read it.

Dolphinatic
09-21-2003, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by HotRod
Dolphinatic,

Very funny! Do you do this for all your games thru the season, just division rivals.... or just this one? If you write similar stuff, I'd like to read it.

Only occasionally, when inspiration strikes and I have some free time. I'm sure I'll do a few more this season, but I'm not sure that they'll be on topic for this board. Late last year I posted a list of top 10 changes Wannstadt was making to avoid sucking so badly in road games (no hookers past 10pm on game nights, chartered busses to the games to avoid sharing public transport with unruly abusive Bills fans... that sort of thing), but I can't seem to locate it now searching FinHeaven.

If I come up with something that seems entertaining for this board (about the Fins or other AFC East teams) I'll post it here. If it's off-topic, at least I'll get to enjoy another round of witty, urbane replies about various Fins' sexual preferences.