PDA

View Full Version : Buffalo vs. Miami Position by Position Comparison

Shiny Chicken
09-18-2003, 10:13 PM
I think it was Patrick I saw say that it's obvious we have the better team just by comparing the roster. So I went to each team's website and got the roster... hey, I'm a little bored... thought I'd compare every position... so here we go...

Buffalo players in Blue
Miami players in beautiful :snicker: Hot Pink

Offense

QB
1.Drew Bledsoe 2.Alex Van Pelt

1.Jay Fiedler 2.Sage Rosenfels 3.Brian Griese

Comparison: Only the most homeristic Phin Fan will say they'd rather have Jay Fiedler than Drew Bledsoe. Bledsoe is just a much more refined passer... has a much better long ball... can throw any pass in the game and is extremely accurate. The same cannot be said about Fiedler. In terms of depth... Miami, with 2 backups rather than three has an advantage. However, with Griese down to third string with a nagging injury, I'd much rather have AVP's experience in my backup role rather than Rosenfels... who may have good upside... but nothing near the experience of AVP.

Advantage: Buffalo

WR
LWR: 1.Eric Moulds 2.Clarence Coleman 3.Sam Aiken
RWR: 1.Josh Reed 2.Bobby Shaw 3.Antonio Brown

LWR: 1.Derrius Thompson 2.J.R. Tolver
RWR: 1.Chris Chambers 2.James McKnight 3.Sam Simmons

Comparison: Chris Chambers is good.... Eric Moulds is one of the best athletes in the game and Shaw and Reed both have shown a lot in the first two games... well not the first game for Reed... but the second game showed he can be counted on. Thompson and McKnight are very good receivers... I just don't think they have the playmaking ability of Shaw and Reed.

OL
LT: 1.Jonas Jennings 2.Marcus Price
LG: 1.Ruben Brown 2.Ben Sobieski
C: 1.Trey Teague 2.Ross Tucker
RG: 1.Mike Pucillo 2.Marques Sullivan 3.Ross Tucker
RT: 1.Mike Williams 2.Marcus Price

LT: 1.Wade Smith 2.Mark Dixon
LG: 1.Jamie Nails B2.illy Yates
C: 1.Tim Ruddy 2.Seth McKinney
RG: 1.Todd Perry 2.Taylor Whitley
RT: 1.Todd Wade 2.Greg Jerman

Comparison: Buffalo's O-Line is becoming one of the best in the league. The only question marks are that Ruben may be starting to get a little old... and Teague has a bad snap every once in awhile. Other than that, Drew's been protected extraordinarily well. they do need to start opening some holes for Henry... but I believe they will. Miami's O-Line is average. A great back like Ricki Williams make them look better than they really are. They do a decent job.

TE
1.Dave Moore 2.Mark Campbell 3.Ryan Neufeld

1.Randy McMichael 2.Donald Lee 3.Sean McDermott

Comparison: Solid groups on both teams. McMichael could be awesome in time. Campbell and Moore have made some great catches in the first two weeks.

Advantage: Even

Backfield
HB: 1.Travis Henry 2.Sammy Morris 3.Joe Burns
FB: 1.Sam Gash 2.Phil Crosby

HB: 1.Ricky Williams 2.Travis Minor 3.Charlie Rogers 4.Leonard Henry
FB: 1.Rob Konrad 2.Obafemi Ayanbadejo

Comparison: This all comes down to Ricki vs. Travis. As good as Travis is, Ricki is the superior back. Not by much... but definitely has an edge.

Advantage: Miami

Defense

DL
LE: 1.Ryan Denney 2.Chris Kelsay
LT: 1.Sam Adams 2.Ron Edwards 3.Lauvale Sape
RT: 1.Pat Williams 2.Justin Bannan
RE: 1.Aaron Schobel 2.Keith McKenzie

LE: 1.Adewale Ogunleye 2.Jay Williams
LT: 1.Tim Bowens 2.Jeff Zgonina
RT: 1.Larry Chester 2.Dario Romero
RE: 1.Jason Taylor 2.Rob Burnett 3.Otis Grigsby

Comparison: Buffalo has two great DTs in Sam and Pat... but Schobel and Denney are a clear step down from those two. Chester and Bowens are solid... they're no Sam and Pat, though. Jason Taylor makes this line scary... even if he does always get shut down by Jennings:snicker:

Advantage: Slightly to Miami

LB
SLB: 1.Jeff Posey 2.DaShon Polk 3.Josh Stamer
MLB: 1.London Fletcher 2.Angelo Crowell
WLB: 1.Takeo Spikes 2.Dominique Stevenson

SLB: 1.Morlon Greenwood 2.Brendon Ayanbadejo
MLB: 1.Zach Thomas 2.Tommy Hendricks
WLB: 1.Junior Seau 2.Corey Jenkins

Comparison: Posey, Fletcher, and Spikes are amazing. Three fast ball hawks... great tacklers... just a great group of LB's. Spikes was the most important off-season acquisition for the Bills and it shows. Beyond Thomas, Miami doesn't have much to show. Seau was great once, but he's slowed down.

DB
LCB: 1.Antoine Winfield 2.Kevin Thomas 3.Terrence McGee
SS: 1.Lawyer Milloy 2.Coy Wire 3.Izell Reese
FS: 1.Pierson Prioleau 2.Izell Reese
RCB: 1.Nate Clements 2.Dainon Sidney

LCB: 1.Patrick Surtain 2.Jamar Fletcher
SS: 1.Sammy Knight 2.Arturo Freeman 3.Trent Gamble
FS: 1.Brock Marion 2.Shawn Wooden
RCB: 1.Sam Madison 2.Terrell Buckley

Comparison:
These two units match up well. The only place the Dolphins have a slight advantage is Marion over Prioleau.

Advantage: Miami

Special Teams

K: Rian Lindell
P: Brian Moorman
LS: 1.Jon Dorenbos 2.Dave Moore 3.Trey Teague
H: 1.Brian Moorman 2.Alex Van Pelt
KR: 1.Antonio Brown 2.Sammy Morris 3.Terrence McGee
PR: 1.Antonio Brown 2.Clarence Coleman 3.Bobby Shaw 4.Nate Clements

K: Olindo Mare
P: Mark Royals
LS: 1.Shawn McDermott 2.Jeff Zgonina
H: 1.Mark Royals 2.Sage Rosenfels
KR: 1.Charlie Rogers 2.Travis Minor 3.Sam Simmons
PR: 1.Charlie Rogers 2.Sam Simmons 3.Terrell Buckley

Comparison On the kickers here, we're split. I haven't seen much to judge Lindell by yet, since he hasn't had many kicks at all, not to mention any kicks that mattered. Mare has experience and has been a good clutch kicker. But Moorman should be a pro-bowler this year. No one in the league is booming the ball down the field like he is. Royals has nothing on him. Brown has potential, but hasn't shown much in regular season play yet. Rogers is washed up.

Advantage: Even

Altogether, Buffalo wins the matchups 4-3 in my book... and the ones where they don't... they're very close to even. I'm trying my best to be unbiased here... but it seems clear that Buffalo has the more talented roster.

Typ0
09-18-2003, 10:16 PM
Fish Fry.

imbondz
09-18-2003, 10:19 PM
good job. Especially on the color coordination :snicker:

StanMarino13
09-18-2003, 10:19 PM
Well I'd rather have Fiedler then Bledsoe if its with the miami o line cuz pass blocking isnt exactly great in miami. Bledsoe would be dead in the first quarter with our line.

RedEyE
09-18-2003, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by StanMarino13
Well I'd rather have Fiedler then Bledsoe if its with the miami o line cuz pass blocking isnt exactly great in miami. Bledsoe would be dead in the first quarter with our line.

:doh:

Typ0
09-18-2003, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by RedEyE

:doh:

It's true you don't notice because Fiedler is dead before the first quarter.

MDFINFAN
09-18-2003, 10:28 PM
I almost agree..but the same logic you used in rating the st's you should have used in WR's, that's about even, i think Mcknight showed last year he is a play maker..Just like Moulds is the class of the receivers, Mare is defintely the class of the kickers, not even close. So you should have given ST to Miami...and I'm not convinced that your OL is really better than Miami, they both seem to have their niche..yours pass blocking right now, ours run blocking. The only thing Drew has over Jay is a strong arm, when it comes to mobility, I like Jay better, he can made plays with his legs and is a the thread there, that Drew is with his arm. But overall a good analysis.

Shiny Chicken
09-18-2003, 10:44 PM
Mare is the class of kickers as you said... but the same can be said about Moorman... he's in the same class when it comes to punters as Mare is when it comes to Kickers... even a tiny bit higher... which compensates for the fact that I would weigh kicking as a slightly more important positition as punting. I can't say I'd rather be in Buffalo or Miami's position when it comes to ST's overall... which is why I ranked them even. Moulds is the tie breaker when it comes to receivers, if there even is a tie to begin with. I doin't think McKnight and Thompson have anything over Reed and Shaw. Moulds definitely has something over Chambers.

I also cut your DB's some slack and gave them the advantage even though, at the moment Miami is last in Pass defense and Buffalo is first.

jchild178
09-18-2003, 10:46 PM
the analysis was done very well...i agree with everything

lordofgun
09-18-2003, 10:57 PM
Great job! :up:

Their secondary is getting old. 32nd in the league so far...and that's to Carr and Vinny. :rofl: I give Buffalo the edge in the defensive backfield.

Also, isn't madison nursing an injury?

Shiny Chicken
09-18-2003, 10:59 PM
I know they're getting old... but I still think their depth is better than ours... thus their nickel and dime packages are better.

lordofgun
09-18-2003, 11:10 PM
I think Bobby Shaw in the slot is going to eat them alive. I look for 75 yards and a TD from Shaw this week. They can't cover him with their nickel or dime guys.

ajsdx
09-18-2003, 11:27 PM
I agree with everything except the TE comparison. If you don't agree with me, just ask who you'd rather have -- McMichael or our platoon. I don't think it's even or slight, it's pretty hands down in favor of Miami. That said, I think Buffalo's overall speed in all facets of the game gives them a sort of intangible advantage, and we should come out with the win. Squish the Fish!

MDFINFAN
09-18-2003, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by lordofgun
I think Bobby Shaw in the slot is going to eat them alive. I look for 75 yards and a TD from Shaw this week. They can't cover him with their nickel or dime guys.

I actually think Buckley can defend Shaw, if we play the zone thing again, then yea you'll get a lot of yards in the air..the jets actually got 266 before the phins played the soft zone in the 4th and let them have another 100..so I think their coming around. As for as Moulds being the tie breaker, I still think that Mcknight and DT are better than Shaw and Reed. I think the final stats this season will show I'm right. You do have the advantage of Drew throwing to them, but talent wise I think Mcknight and DT are more talented. The DB's get the edge because they've earned it..the last 2 weeks of experimenting shouldn't cast a doubt on their abilities. They are still great shutdown corners. But all we can do is talk, which is fun, but the players will have the fnal word.

Dolfan984
09-19-2003, 12:43 AM
Good analysis, but I think Fiedler is better than you think. :)(Nowhere near Bledsoe though)

Miami's secondary is slightly better than Buffalo's no matter how many times LOG says that it isn't. ;)

shelby
09-19-2003, 04:13 AM
Nice breakdown Shiny!
:fish:

Jan Reimers
09-19-2003, 04:34 AM
Great analysis, SC, although I think the Fins' DBs are living on their reputation and past glory. Sunday will tell how much they have left. I'm also becoming a big fan of Campbell.

Earthquake Enyart
09-19-2003, 06:18 AM
Miami is one of the few teams where we have the edge in coaching. :snicker:

TigerJ
09-19-2003, 08:07 AM
Seems too be a good analysis. This kind of comparison is very much vulnerable to subjectivity.

At tight end, for instance, I suppose I can see McMichael getting the nod over Buffalo's TEs because he seems to be more athletic. Campbell is pretty slow, but to this point seems to catch everything thrown his way, and despite the fact that he's slow and not very elusive, he's so big, DBs and LBs are going to have a tough time keeping him from catching a well thrown ball. The only thing he's not going to do is run much after the catch. I can live with that.

Dozerdog
09-19-2003, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by ajsdx
I agree with everything except the TE comparison. If you don't agree with me, just ask who you'd rather have -- McMichael or our platoon. I don't think it's even or slight, it's pretty hands down in favor of Miami. That said, I think Buffalo's overall speed in all facets of the game gives them a sort of intangible advantage, and we should come out with the win. Squish the Fish!

TE is not just a receiving position. Our boys can catch and block.

Dozerdog
09-19-2003, 08:15 AM
It's on the front page, shiner!

StanMarino13
09-19-2003, 08:31 AM
I'm kinda wondering what purpose these matchups prove when none of the matchups actually matchup against each other??? shouldnt u have dline vs oline, db's vs wrs etc etc??? It would make more sense dont u think?

TedMock
09-19-2003, 08:36 AM
We need to run this week. Miami hasn't looked very good, even in the Jets win, but they are a pretty good team regardless of how much I dislike them. I have to agree with MD on Buckley covering Shaw. I think Buckley wins that match head to head. I hope I'm wrong but Buckley has experience covering #1's. If they run zone D then Shaw probably has the biggest day. Also, no matter how you slice it, Jason Taylor will have his sacks this season. I just hope they're not against us! We ran well on them last year and should attempt to do so again. One more thing...STOP RICKY! If we can hold him to under 150 yards we can win! Kidding.

PhinPhan1227
09-19-2003, 08:37 AM
Great job! :up:

Their secondary is getting old. 32nd in the league so far...and that's to Carr and Vinny. :rofl: I give Buffalo the edge in the defensive backfield.

Also, isn't madison nursing an injury?

Our corners are 26 and 29, and our Safeties are 28 and 33. Other than Brock Marion who went to the ProBowl last season, how is our Secondary old?

lordofgun
09-19-2003, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by PhinPhan1227
Our corners are 26 and 29, and our Safeties are 28 and 33. Other than Brock Marion who went to the ProBowl last season, how is our Secondary old?

They're playing old. :idunno:

Patrick76777
09-19-2003, 08:47 AM
Not old, just not good anymore!

PhinPhan1227
09-19-2003, 08:49 AM

They're playing old. :idunno:

Niiice. Actually, I'd say their playing to prove that you can't teach an old dog new tricks. The great Zone Experiment cost us a lot of yards in the first two games. I don't think you guys will see much of it Sunday.

lordofgun
09-19-2003, 08:55 AM
I heard the stat of how young they are yesterday. They're still getting old.

Moulds has made them look old for years.

Patrick76777
09-19-2003, 08:59 AM
I heard a comment on a national radio show about the spit thing. The guys said that Surtain should be happy he got that close to Moulds, because it never happens during the play!

lordofgun
09-19-2003, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by Patrick76777
I heard a comment on a national radio show about the spit thing. The guys said that Surtain should be happy he got that close to Moulds, because it never happens during the play!

:rofl:

PhinPhan1227
09-19-2003, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by Patrick76777

Cute. two more days and it all get put on the field. No way do we shut Moulds down, but if we keep him limited to yards but not TD's, I still think we'll be fine.

Dolfan984
09-19-2003, 03:16 PM
How old is Moulds?

The_Philster
09-19-2003, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Dolfan984
How old is Moulds?

He turned 30 on July 17

SABURZFAN
09-19-2003, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by Typ0
Fish Fry.

:hungry:

Dolfan984
09-19-2003, 04:16 PM
So Moulds is older than 3 of 4 of our DBs, and you call them old?

You better pray they don't get back to how they used to. ;)

Dozerdog
09-19-2003, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Dolfan984
So Moulds is older than 3 of 4 of our DBs, and you call them old?

You better pray they don't get back to how they used to. ;)

More importantly, faster.

:wave: as Moulds blows by them

MDFINFAN
09-19-2003, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog

More importantly, faster.

:wave: as Moulds blows by them

Moulds not faster, he just wins the bump and run, because of his physical technique..He usually beats Sam in this, I haven't seem him beat Pat yet..

ublinkwescore
09-19-2003, 08:49 PM
Moulds will have 159 yards receiving and two TDs.

Travis will get two, and Reed will get his first of the season.