PDA

View Full Version : Emmit Smith

Valerie
09-23-2002, 09:03 AM
Yesterday, even though the Cowboys sucked :( , Emmit surpassed Walter Payton in rushing yards with 3,839! :) I know you guys don't like the Cowboys, but Emmit is a decent guy and he should be congratulated for this accomplishment! :)

Go Emmit! :cheers:

casdhf
09-23-2002, 09:03 AM
He's all washed up

justasportsfan
09-23-2002, 09:22 AM
Barry Sanders was better :D

THATHURMANATOR
09-23-2002, 09:23 AM
So was Thurman!

SABURZFAN
09-23-2002, 09:24 AM
Emmitt who??????

:jk:

LtBillsFan66
09-23-2002, 09:29 AM
Nope. He broke the record for ATTEMPTS, not YARDS!

Valerie
09-23-2002, 09:30 AM
You guys all suck! Emmit is a damn good player! And, he's one of the few Cowboys who's actually not a criminal! Troy, Emmit and Tom Landry were all good guys. :up:

And, if all those other guys are so great, how come they haven't beat Walter's record? :)

THATHURMANATOR
09-23-2002, 09:33 AM
Because they didn't want to make spectacles of themselves and hold out just for some personnal record. If Barry wanted to he would have broken the record 3 seasons ago but he wasn't about that unlike Emmitt and his stupid 10 10 220 commercials!

Emmitt is washed up and should have retired 2 years ago.

justasportsfan
09-23-2002, 09:35 AM
The bills should try to ask Sanders to come out of retirement. jk.

Emmit was great when he had a OL that could part the Red Sea better than Moses could. Sanders never had an OL and retired early Jaded.

Ebenezer
09-23-2002, 09:37 AM
Sorry J7...Emmitt is a classy guy but he isn't even the 5th best RB ever...imho.

LtBillsFan66
09-23-2002, 09:38 AM
Emmit's record of attempts coming before the record of yards just proves that Payton (RIP) is/was a better RB. Emmit is definitely one of the greats though.

Valerie
09-23-2002, 09:43 AM
Well, duh. :rolleyes: Obviously if you have a good team you'll be able to excel at your position. I can't believe you guys are so negative. Emmit is a good player and personally, I think he should be congratulated for his accomplishment.

And don't tell me about old, washed up guys who should've retired. There are a lot of old guys out there who should've retired, but they keep playing. And in fact, a lot of them aren't even able to stay with their original team. They're traded or released (Jerry Rice, Bruce Smith, Thurman Thomas, Joe Montana, just to name a few). At least Emmit has been with the Cowboys his whole professional career. That in itself is a huge feat! :)

LtBillsFan66
09-23-2002, 09:47 AM
Only Bruce Smith should be on that list of should have retired. Rice is still pretty good. TT and Montana left before they really hit the decline. Maybe TT held on a little too long.

THATHURMANATOR
09-23-2002, 10:11 AM
THURMAN??? NEVER!!!!!!!!

Buffalofan
09-23-2002, 11:02 AM
Emmitt Smith has no class .. sure now that he is at the end of his carreer he is trying to act like more of a man but what about all the years in the early 90's where he had to take his helmet off everytime he scored a TD .. the guys not crap without Troy and Michael Irvin around. I think its a crying shame that he will one day break Paytons record. Payton was class .. Smith is just an ass !!

Ð
09-23-2002, 11:56 AM
Hey, Jaded...What part of BILLS BOARD don't you understand :D

Valerie
09-23-2002, 12:05 PM
Hey, Big Doug.....bite this :moon: ;)

It's football related and I felt it was worthy of a mention.

casdhf
09-23-2002, 12:16 PM
It really isn't worth mentioning

LtBillsFan66
09-23-2002, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Buffalofan
Emmitt Smith has no class .. sure now that he is at the end of his carreer he is trying to act like more of a man but what about all the years in the early 90's where he had to take his helmet off everytime he scored a TD .. the guys not crap without Troy and Michael Irvin around. I think its a crying shame that he will one day break Paytons record. Payton was class .. Smith is just an ass !!

My brother is a Cowboy's fan and I have followed them a bit.

I disagree 110%. He has class and is a wonderful teammate. He did not celebrate after every TD. His did get pumped after scoring in pressure situations (probably the ones you saw on the highlight reels) and take off his helmet (before the rule). That was too much for me too, but far from anything to classify him as classless.

On the other hand, I think his record quest is detrimental to the team.

LtBillsFan66
09-23-2002, 12:17 PM
And if you are ready to say Troy and Irvin made him, then be prepared to say that Kelly and Reed made Thurman. Complimented each other is a better term.

WG
09-23-2002, 12:18 PM
Emmitt had a much better OL for most of his career than did Payton. I think if most people had to choose one or the other however, anyone who had seen them both play would easily choose Walter.

It's always easier to chase a record than to just get it to begin with. I would say this however, if Emmitt doesn't do it this year, then he should quit chasing it no matter how badly he wants it. That would be classy IMO.

Emmitt is a non-factor for the Boys now and is hurting their cause by not running effectively. It's quite clear that he's only in there b/c of this record. If they actually had a chance at the playoffs this year, I'm sure they'd give him the opp, but it would hurt their chances. His "long runs" in each game total 63 yards. After that he has 43 carries for a 2.5 ypc avg. That isn't good. He's not helping his team w/ play like that.

He'll get the record. He's had a great career w/ 11 straight seasons of 1,000 or more yards and almost 1,000 in his rookie year. But he's finished and shouldn't be playing after this year. He won't get another 1,000 this year and to continue playing after it is unfair to the Cowboy team. I think he'll retire after this season.

Valerie
09-23-2002, 12:21 PM
Nice posts, BF1. :up: I've always liked Emmitt! :) The Cowboys have so many questionable players on their team, it's always nice to see a decent guy.

I'll give you that he didn't play well yesterday at all. He must've changed shoes at least five times during the game. And he slipped and didn't make the plays he should've and could've. I'm sure he'll retire at the end of this year.

ticatfan
09-23-2002, 03:35 PM
But when he finally signed the big contract,his numbers started to drop.typical.

casdhf
09-23-2002, 03:45 PM
You can't possiblt agree 110%, even with such a great nickname :shakeno:

Valerie
09-23-2002, 03:45 PM
Hey Ticat, you can bite this :moon: as well! Emmitt is a good guy and a damn good player. Yes, he's dropped off the last few years, but what do you want? He's getting up there in age and he doesn't have the speed he used to have. Don't take away what he has accomplished in the NFL.

casdhf
09-23-2002, 03:46 PM
Jaded is really wavin' that around today, isn't she?

Valerie
09-23-2002, 03:48 PM
I guess I'm annoyed that no one is willing to give props to the guy. So he's not on the Bills. Who cares! He's still a damn good player. I think Emmitt is entitled to a little respect and some :clap:

casdhf
09-23-2002, 03:53 PM
He's not a damn good player anymore. He's average

ticatfan
09-23-2002, 03:53 PM
Yes he was untill he signed the big contract. And if you stick that nice butt of yours out like that again I will bite it.LOL ;)

Caniac
09-23-2002, 04:17 PM
Emmitt sucks ..hes just a ball hog. Walter Paytons record should never be broken by a POS like Smith .. what a shame !!

The_Philster
09-23-2002, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Jaded 7
I guess I'm annoyed that no one is willing to give props to the guy. So he's not on the Bills. Who cares! He's still a damn good player. I think Emmitt is entitled to a little respect and some :clap:
I was at work...:lol: But now that I'm home....I'm definitely giving him his props. He's a classy player on a team with little class since Jerry Jones took over.

Cntrygal
09-23-2002, 05:41 PM
maybe he can get with Strahan, to figure out exactly who he should talk to so he can get the record. Then he can retire.....