PDA

View Full Version : Sabres no longer crossing swords with WGR

Don Cherry
09-20-2003, 01:42 PM
SPORTS ON THE AIR

By ALAN PERGAMENT

9/20/2003

This is what I'm thinking:
• The change in ownership of the Buffalo Sabres has resulted in a change in attitude about team leaders appearing on WGR-AM.

WGR General Manager Greg Ried reports that Sabres General Manager Darcy Regier and coach Lindy Ruff have signed deals to do shows on the all-sports station, which is in direct competition with the station owned by Adelphia, WNSA-FM. Ruff's show will be weekly, Regier's once every two weeks.

It also didn't hurt WGR's cause that Chuck Dickerson, who often ridiculed Regier, has left the station.

"I can't even say if it entered into the decision," said Sabres managing partner Larry Quinn. "It helped, I guess. It's just good business. We've got to be in a lot of places."

Quinn said any deal with WGR wouldn't be exclusive, enabling rival WNSA to get access to the team leaders.

• The report that Rob Ray turned down a broadcasting job offered by the Sabres because he didn't want to put anyone out of work certainly makes one wonder whose job was in jeopardy.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20030920/2043075.asp

Myers57
09-20-2003, 02:21 PM
Too bad, I think Rob Ray would have been an excellent addition to the broadcasting crew of the Sabres.

Dozerdog
09-20-2003, 02:31 PM
They currently simulcast the TV feed for the games locally, right?

If they were assembling a radio crew too, I'd be all for it. But 3 in the booth for hockey is a bit congested, IMO.

And you aren't dumping Jimmy Lorentz, he's one of the best color men in the league. Just get the Hockey package and you'll see. Denis Potvin of the Panthers is an Idiot .

He'd be awesome on Hockey Hotline

Myers57
09-20-2003, 04:46 PM
I would love to see Rob Ray and Mike Robataille face off on hockey hotline. It would definetely raise the ratings of the show!

Rhett4NHL
09-20-2003, 04:50 PM
I think Ray and Robitaille would have been too similiar to provide quality programming. Both have a hard demeanor and that ex-hockey player attitude. I actually liked Brian Blessing a lot. He provided the perfect foil for Robitaille.

Hopefully, Josh Mora can come in and do an adequate job at the very least. I have my doubts, however.

The_Philster
09-20-2003, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by Rhett4NHL
Hopefully, Josh Mora can come in and do an adequate job at the very least.

Josh Mora will be on Hockey Hotline? You can bet LOG will tune in. :D

Dozerdog
09-20-2003, 06:16 PM
They dumped Blessing for Mora?

The show is officially in the toilet:down:

lordofgun
09-21-2003, 09:03 AM
I will never watch that show again. Ever. :mad:

Sabre Ally
09-21-2003, 10:42 AM
The show sucked before anyway.

Dozerdog
09-21-2003, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Sabre Ally
The show sucked before anyway.

Obviously you haven't seen the rest of the NHL TV landscape.

Best productions I've seen for Pre- & Post game as well as Game itself and intermissions-

1) HNIC
2) ESPN/TSN
3) Rogers Sports Net
4) Beleive it or not, Empire last season
5) MSG
6) Fox sports net sucks!!!!

HH was a really decent show- they gave you some insight into the game and Roby and Blessing were great foils for each other.
It was a little hokey with the call ins, but Empire had very good production values compared to most of the rest of local Hockey coverage in the US.

Myers57
09-21-2003, 11:32 AM
Yea because Empire does not carry the shows created by Fox Sports net for pre and post games, they make their own, I like it this way

I the end I
09-21-2003, 01:49 PM
Hockey hotline was awesome...I don't think it'll be as good without Blessing though.