• Don Cherry
    BFZ Hockey Commissioner
    • Oct 2002

Injury-plagued Kriukov impresses

SABRES NOTEBOOK

By TIM GRAHAM
    News Sports Reporter
    9/20/2003

ROCHESTER - Curtis Brown noticed a reporter had been hanging around the Buffalo Sabres' training camp dressing room Friday for quite a while. The veteran center asked whom the reporter was waiting to interview.
    Artem Kriukov was the answer.

A perplexed look came over Brown's face as if he had been asked the indentity of Deep Throat.

Artem Kriukov? Who's that?

The Sabres' first-round draft choice in 2000, that's who.

The mysterious Russian center was selected 15th overall, ahead of NHL players such as Amherst native Brooks Orpik, Marcel Hossa and Justin Williams.

But Kriukov, 21, hadn't appeared at Sabres training camp until this year, mostly because of head and shoulder injuries.

"For my first time I feel all right," Kriukov said with the help of translator and Sabres defenseman Alexei Zhitnik.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20030920/1004165.asp

• Rhett4NHL
    UltimateSabres Director of Writing Operations
    • Sep 2003

Considering the Sabres used a 1st round pick on him, I would like to see him salvage some kind of a career. I think a lot hinges on how well he does playing a full year in Russia this year and if he can maintain an injury free season. A stint with Rochester next year is probably not out of the question.
    "If the gods exist, then why is the world so full of pain and injustice?"

"Because of men like you."

"There are no men like me. There's only me."

Comment

Working...
    X