PDA

View Full Version : Derek Roy looking great in camp

Don Cherry
09-20-2003, 01:47 PM
NHL
Roy-al flush

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rookie center playing his cards right in Sabres camp

By TIM GRAHAM
News Sports Reporter
9/20/2003

ROCHESTER - Apparently, it's no fluke.
Derek Roy had a magnificent training camp with the Buffalo Sabres last year as a 19-year-old.

He performed so well, in fact, that he was the only player with junior eligibility to stick around for the entire preseason and almost made the opening night roster.

The Sabres opted to send Roy back to his Ontario Hockey League club, but he didn't pout. He captained the Kitchener Rangers to the Memorial Cup, averaging nearly 11/2 points a game in the postseason.

Roy is competing against grown men again in Sabres camp. Yet he still hasn't made a misstep.

Everything Roy has done thus far indicates he's ready for the NHL.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20030920/1042725.asp

Myers57
09-20-2003, 02:00 PM
Roy also had a good performance in last years training camp, glad to see that he is a valuable prospect and I hope that he will be a big help for the Sabres in years to come.

Rhett4NHL
09-20-2003, 02:44 PM
With Tim Connolly on the bench for 2 games following last year's suspension, I imagine that Roy will get a look. I have a feeling that he may get sent down early in the year ala Kotalik last year, but he will be up before the end of the year. Once he gets here, he will stick. This kid is a nifty player with the drive and desire to be an NHL player. His arrival might spell the end of Connolly in a Buffalo uni.