PDA

View Full Version : Look ahead to 2004 NFL Draft: QB Phillip Rivers

DraftBoy
09-20-2003, 03:10 PM
Great collegiate QB, with a little bit of a funky delivery that drives some NFL scouts nuts. At 6'5 hes very athletic and can run with the ball if needed and can also heave the long ball. He would be the ideal QB for Buffalo in my honest opinion. Look at him the rest of the season, as he should be a late 1st-2nd round pick.

DBam
09-20-2003, 03:47 PM
You should be more concerned with drafting your replacement next year Winfield. Wished the Bills would have rapped you up this year...

Dozerdog
09-20-2003, 03:49 PM
Hey draft expert-

Got a college? Maybe a link to a player page? What's his competition?

snow1989
09-20-2003, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog

Got a college? Maybe a link to a player page? What's his competition?

He's NC State's QB Doz...nothing awfully special in my humble opinion...strange throwing mechanics, fairly solid decision making, decent leader...questionable speed and mobility, nagging injuries at times (but plays through it) ...would be a project..I see him possibly sliding to the 3rd round even..

Dozerdog
09-20-2003, 04:09 PM
Next year is supposed to be a deep draft- some top QB's in there. Coupled with the high selections spent in 2003 and 2002 on QBs, I can't imagine teams spending a high pick on anything other than a marquee guy.

snow1989
09-20-2003, 04:15 PM
Agreed....thats why I see Rivers possibly slipping into the 3rd round or perhaps farther...

DraftBoy
09-20-2003, 04:37 PM
Hes coming through this year as a possible Heisman canidate in todays game vs. Texas Tech he was 18-22 for 257 yards and 1 TD. For the year he is 118-153 for 1,325 yards and 11TD's with only 4 INT. He was a key factor in that big 3OT loss last week to Ohio St.

http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/teams/stats/NCST/PASSING?&_1:col_1=5

snow1989
09-20-2003, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Winfield_26
He was a key factor in that big 3OT loss last week to Ohio St.

hmmm, I guess there's my problem...a key factor in a loss....yes, I know he's supposedly one of the reasons they were even in the game...BUT (IMHO) isn't the object of being a heisman winner and top-flight QB...to win those?...he's 2-2 this year, nothing special in my book....sorry, still think he's a late 2nd, 3rd round pick
:idunno:

SABURZFAN
09-20-2003, 05:05 PM
Great collegiate QB, with a little bit of a funky delivery that drives some NFL scouts nuts. At 6'5 hes very athletic and can run with the ball if needed and can also heave the long ball. He would be the ideal QB for Buffalo in my honest opinion. Look at him the rest of the season, as he should be a late 1st-2nd round pick.

hey winfield,you need to redo your countdown to the draft.:biggrin:

don137
09-20-2003, 05:06 PM
I wouldn't run rivers on a QB sneak though. he was shut down twice last weekend against Ohio State in triple overtime. He does impress me with his skills.

Dozerdog
09-20-2003, 05:24 PM
Sounds like another David Gerrard

DraftBoy
09-20-2003, 05:26 PM
he is another Gerrard but with more polish and competitive experience. Less speed, and more accuracy on his passes.

snow1989
09-20-2003, 05:47 PM
he is another Gerrard but with more polish and competitive experience. Less speed, and more accuracy on his passes.

hmm, I wouldn't call it a glowing comparison...since Gerrard is a 2nd string back-up slowly drifting into a 3rd string...(he didn't look real confident in preseason...still relies on his feet)

The Spaz
09-20-2003, 07:29 PM
I don't think David Gerrard was up as a Heisman candidate!

TigerJ
09-20-2003, 10:28 PM
If Buffalo thinks Bledsoe will be the Bills' starter for the next three or four years, it makes no sense to use an early draft choice for a QB. You end up paying a lot of money to have a guy sit on the bench. Then about the time you think you might actually be able to use him you have to get in a bidding war because he's a free agent and wants to shop his services out to the highest bidder. In this day and age if you draft a QB in round one, you plan on playing him sometime during his first season, or at the sttart of the second season at the latest. If he's drafted in the second round, you figure he's gonna start by his second year. It's the late round picks you can develop as projects because when their rookie contracts are up they still won't have much bargaining power.

The Spaz
09-20-2003, 10:50 PM
http://www.philiprivers.com/images/photos/cel8.jpghttp://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/ncst/sports/m-footbl/auto_headshot/p-rivers.jpg

http://www.philiprivers.com/home.asp

http://gopack.ocsn.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/rivers_philip01.html

Ingtar33
09-21-2003, 12:07 AM
I’m not a huge fan of Rivers personally. He's got decent accuracy, a medium arm, very fast release and a decent head on his shoulders.

In many ways he reminds me of David Carr (though Carr has a stronger/better arm). Personally I think any team that spends a 1st on him is wasting their pick.

Furthermore, you do not draft a QB in round 1 or 2 if your QB will be around another 3 to 5 years. Wait 2 more years then start talking QB.

BTW: For my money, Casey Clausen of Tenn is a special QB.

Ingtar33
09-21-2003, 12:12 AM
though, if you would like to talk QB's, I'm nice and liquored up and don't have much to do tonight...

TypicalBill
09-21-2003, 12:16 AM
he looks like a fat Tom Brady :eek: ... but i saw that game against Ohio state and i liked what i saw.. they didn't lose because of him but because of the questionable playcalling... 1st and goal at the 5, they go with a QB sneak? and then 2nd and goal at the 4, they do it again! this is in overtime too...

i like Matt Schaub out of Virginia, very accurate passer with size 6'5" , 240 .... last year he threw for 28TD's to 10 int's.. he hasent played yet this year though because of an injury. matt schaub (http://virginiasports.ocsn.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/schaub_matt00.html)

anyway, i think TD will use the 4th rounder that he got from Detroit to pick a QB ..

Cntrygal
09-21-2003, 12:21 AM
WB Ingtar! Nice to see ya again!!! :)

:fish:

TypicalBill
09-21-2003, 12:24 AM
Ingtar, what are your thoughts on Matt Schaub and where do you predict he'll go in the draft :D

Ingtar33
09-21-2003, 12:29 AM
Yep, that game vs Ohio was impresive... and Schaub is not a bad QB either

Ingtar33
09-21-2003, 12:34 AM
Schaub is not a bad QB... Truthfully i've not seen a boatload of him that knocks my socks off, but then again you never know.

I was the guy who thought that Jason Gesser would be a good round 3-5 pickup... (he went undrafted, though he did make the Titans squad at QB no.3), and who was rather high on Dorsey (up untill the combine).

Ingtar33
09-21-2003, 12:37 AM
heya cntrygrl,

I had to show up for squish the fish week :)

TypicalBill
09-21-2003, 12:39 AM

and stay tuned for some :fish: later!! WB back bud!