PDA

View Full Version : Joe Paterno needs to realize his time up

The_Philster
09-20-2003, 08:25 PM
MIAMI - (KRT) - Yes, Joe Paterno is a legend. Yes, he has brought more recognition to Penn State than nearly everyone else has brought to the whole state of Pennsylvania. Yes, he deserves to leave on his own terms.

No, he can't be trusted to do so.

All the qualities that have allowed Paterno to build his career - commitment, discipline, stubbornness, loyalty, success - now are obstacles in that career. He is a man too proud for his own good, a man with too much conviction to voluntarily step aside, even when stepping aside is the best move for a program for which he otherwise would do anything....

more (http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/6819353.htm)

Kat in da Hat
09-22-2003, 12:01 PM
They said that about Joe Pa when PSU started out 0-4.. what.. two.. three years ago? At the time he was on the verge of beating Bear Bryant's all time wins record. PSU has been uphill and downhill alot over the last few years and I think it's time for him to step down and hand the reigns over, OR the PSU AD needs to grow a nutsack and fire him.

Tom Osborne knew when to say when. After 26 years and 250 + victories, he decided to hang up his hat and enjoy life. I think Paterno's problem is that coaching is all he knows and it's all he wants to do. I kid you not, if he doesn't step down or get fired, he's gonna end up dying on the sidelines..

Just my humble opinion.

The_Philster
09-22-2003, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Kat in da Hat
They said that about Joe Pa when PSU started out 0-4.. what.. two.. three years ago? At the time he was on the verge of beating Bear Bryant's all time wins record.

I think that was back in 99. He's been on the verge of actually retiring since then. It used to be that he told potential new recruits that he WOULD be there their entire college careers. He stopped telling them that a few years back.

snow1989
09-22-2003, 04:33 PM
time for Papa Joe to retire, sad to say, but true....I think the records the past couple of years is making it hard for PSU to recruit...he was a helluva coach, but his time is over

R. Rich
09-26-2003, 10:04 AM
Recruiting is really bad right now for PSU. I don't know if it will get better while JoePa is the coach, but I don't think he should be forced out. What do people think will happen when he leaves? Fran Gantner will become the coach and continue to run the exact same offense (he is the Off. Coordinator, after all!). There won't be some wide open, run and gun type offense there, which means they'll continue to run the ball first and foremost. Do people really believe that Fran Gantner will be able to recruit better RBs than JoePa? We haven't even talked about the defensive side of the ball or the offensive line, which are really lacking this season. "Linebacker U" hasn't had a decent LB since Arrington went to the Redskins. Gino Capone is so overrated! The best player on the defense is Derryck Tolles, and he can't even play a full game because of his enzyme disorder! Does everyone believe that Gantner will be able to bring in a bumper crop of LBs and OL? I would love to see it, being a Penn State fan, but I don't think that will happen.