PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one who isn't terribly concerned about this loss?

ArcticWildMan
09-21-2003, 11:10 PM
We were due to lose one and considering how close the game was IN THEIR HOUSE, I'm not worried at all.

I'll admit our offense was offensive, but our defense is awesome!!

I am not pressing the panic button. We lost a hard fought game. Big deal. It's hardly the end of our season. Last time I checked, we were still tied for first place ;)

Relax folks.

venis2k1
09-21-2003, 11:11 PM
actully we are tied for second, taking into div record.

ArcticWildMan
09-21-2003, 11:12 PM
After 3 games, it's a moot point. We all have the same record...2-1.

LarryBoy
09-21-2003, 11:13 PM
I agree 100%.

I AM worried, however about our lack of a running game. Tonight, that(along with some drops, penalities and boneheaded plays) really bit us hard. We never spread the field out, and that against any good defence spells trouble.

This was a MUST win for the fins and their coaching staff, it would have been great for us, but like you point out, they have to come to Buffalo in the cold, and good teams usually spilt.

We will be ok, but I hope we figure this running game out soon.

imbondz
09-21-2003, 11:13 PM
I'm with you AWM. I have a huge headache from watching that, but I am not worried. Great teams bounce back from games like this. They need to realize that even though they played poorly on O, they were still in it until less than a minute left.

Dolphins are in first w/ the tiebreaker, they are a legitimately good team, better than I thought. We'll get them in December.

RUDEbyallMEANS
09-21-2003, 11:14 PM
Buffalo will have a good season, but you should be worried about Bledsoe.. When everything does not go perfectly for him, he hesitates so much and mentally gets whored.. Buffalo's run game should be a concern as well.. Buffalo's defense will win them ALOT of games this year.. No doubt about that..

Novacane
09-21-2003, 11:15 PM
No..................you are not the only one who is not overly concerned.

Someone said it in another thread.................their D played about as well as they can play and we still were right in the game. Everyone knows their D won't play like that every week..........especially on the road. they are just an average D away from home

Captain gameboy
09-21-2003, 11:17 PM
I'm not overly concerned, but I'm I'm a bit worried about our one dimensional offense.
Game one we were throwing the ball to our running backs. Game two we had some success with our tight ends.
Tonight we kept everyone in to pass protect and went to our wide outs only. We got no production out of them, and we still didn't protect Bledsoe that well.
If we want to run, we need to get their linebackers out of the box, either in coverage or by man on man blocking. If we can't figure this out, we're not as good as I thiught we would be.

The_Philster
09-22-2003, 04:43 AM
We've been needing to run better all season long. This game just proved once again that you can't win consistently without a running game.

Jan Reimers
09-22-2003, 07:38 AM
I'm not concerned at all about one loss, but I'm worried as Hell that our complete and absolute lack of a running game will lead to many more.

Dozerdog
09-22-2003, 07:46 AM
I'm not a sky is falling kind of guy- but they played pathetic.

Will it happen again? Probably not

Do they have their work cut out? Absolutely

Do they have some glaring deficiencies? The running game- Bad 3 games in a row now. Henry is playing like he's got McGahee on the mind.

colin
09-22-2003, 07:47 AM
Good call AWM. I consider myself a smart and even headed fan, but you are spot on on this. Props to Arctic as the heady fan.

I will say that Willis getting healthy is something I am looking forward too.

ryven
09-22-2003, 07:50 AM
I agree without a running game we are dead in the water.
If we can get our running game going we will be able to keep D onthe field longer tireing them out but with out it our O never sees the field.

Pride
09-22-2003, 07:50 AM
I am concerned, because they exploited every weakness that noone wanted to admit was there. If teams focus on what Miami did to us, it could be a long season.

They ran between the tackles
They blitz Bledsoe to rush his throws and not allow the WR's to get open
They shut down our running game... or was it we didnt even bring one?

Jan Reimers
09-22-2003, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by Pride

They shut down our running game... or was it we didnt even bring one?

We don't have one.

Patrick76777
09-22-2003, 07:56 AM
Mike Tice told his team that only 10 teams in the history of the league have started 3-0 with 2 road wins.

10!

and they got to go to Chicago and Detroit.

This is the NFL, you can't win them all!

LtBillsFan66
09-22-2003, 08:06 AM
I'll accept this defeat as a wake-up call.

Patrick76777
09-22-2003, 08:07 AM
Can't kill yourself over every loss.

Great teams in this league lose 3,4 and even 5 games a season!

justasportsfan
09-22-2003, 08:15 AM
This team needed to be brought back down to earth. I just din't think it was gonna be the fins who would do it.

If we were to lose I'm glad we lost this way. The O needed a wake up call. There are things that need to be fixed. We have a great OL and it makes we wonder in Gilbride can outsmart or has the ability to adjust during gameday in a hard contested battle.

Pride
09-22-2003, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by justasportsfan
makes we wonder in Gilbride can outsmart

wow... if that isnt an oxymoron I don't know what is.

Gilbride and smart in the same sentence? Never thought I would hear it.

TedMock
09-22-2003, 08:22 AM
I'm not overly concerned but I'm disgusted at the way we played. My hat goes off to Norv Turner who stuck with the run even when it wasn't working. It allowed them to take a few shots downfield which kept us off balance. Overall the defense played well but they blew a few huge 3rd downs as well. Miami's defense played an outstanding game all around, no doubt about it. Our offense stunk...period. The OL couldn't open holes for the RB's and, with the exception of a couple times, they couldn't give Drew 2 seconds worth of protection. Drew looked real bad. He threw a few sidearm passes which I don't usually see from him but he has no zip when he does that and should never do it again! He made some very poor decisions as well and could've been picked 4 times but we were lucky. The RB's looked hesitant, neither Henry nor Burns were hitting the whole with any velocity at all. The WR's stunk too. Moulds and Shaw had 2 huge drops each, Josh Reed had another big drop this week and Henry drops a swing pass with nobody around him. That's 6 that really stick out but I'm sure there are more that I'm forgetting. Last but not least, stupid penalties! We played with a complete lack of discipline and it was very hard to stomach.

WNYnut
09-22-2003, 08:50 AM
excellent post bro, not exactly time to hit the panic button just yet. a victory against philadelphia this week and i'm sure the poor performance in miami last night will be somewhat forgotten. i mean if you look at the teams from the afc last year who made the playoffs, none of them got off to what i would consider a great start. every team has a bad week or two, better a fairly meaningless game in september rather than a crucial game in november/december.

TedMock
09-22-2003, 08:53 AM
If we beat Philly this week we're in great shape. I'll take 3-1 every month! I'm not going to panic simply because we flat out played like crap but stayed in a hard fought game. This is something that can be corrected. Miami's a good team and their defense played one hell of a great game. It just hurts a little more losing to them.

Billsbabee
09-22-2003, 09:00 AM
Great post AWM. At least we aren't giving up on out team and swearing off football b/c of one bad game like the Fins fans in week one. :D

As pointed out, the lack of a run game has been exposed for 3 weeks now, most terribly last night. I too believe T Henry has Willis on the brain.

BillsMan80
09-22-2003, 10:30 AM
I have to admit, I am getting excited about Willis coming back. Willis brings some things to the table that Henry doesn't bring. Like gamebreaking speed, vision, cutbacks, and physical skills that match up with the best backs in the league. If our running game is no where when Willis comes back this year, I say that we give Willis the rock and see what he can do.