PDA

View Full Version : Saftey netting installed in ALL arenas

northernbillfan
09-23-2002, 01:11 PM
There is a new saftey netting installed behind all goalies in the NHL. This netting is added to prevent serious injuries from flying pucks. It is a proactive move the league, after the 12 year old girl died after being hit by a puck at a Carolina Hurricanes game.

I think this is uncalled for. There was one death in 85 years of hockey and they have to put up a new saftey netting. Warn the fans that there are pucks flying into the crowd and to watch out for the danger.

Keep your eye on the play and you won't get hit!

Ð
09-23-2002, 01:40 PM
Actually, it's to protect the fans from NBF, now that he is an "on-ice" worker. Coincidence? I think not :D

Ð
09-23-2002, 01:46 PM
Actually, When I lived in London, Ont. The Knights were one of the first teams to install the safety netting around the high glass behind the net. There were grumblings & complaints @ it at first, but after a while people realized it takes nothing away from the game and if it saves one life or serious injury, then it's worth it.

I wouldn't take my 5 & 8 yr old kids to a North Bay Centennials game because of the lack of netting....try to get a kid to pay attention to the ice surafce the whole game, it's a losing battle.

northernbillfan
09-23-2002, 02:07 PM
When I take my kids to a hockey game, I make sure we sit high enough to avoid the flying pucks (Those are the only seats I can afford:D)

Sabre Ally
09-23-2002, 04:29 PM
At the game I went to, I sat next to the glass.
Maybe in a couple of years I can afford to go to another game. :D

SABURZFAN
09-24-2002, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by BigDoug
Actually, it's to protect the fans from NBF, now that he is an "on-ice" worker. Coincidence? I think not :D

:lol:

SABURZFAN
09-24-2002, 07:30 PM
i think it's a great precautionary measure.BD hit the nail on the head about kids.as fans,we want to enjoys games.the last thing we need is a fan coming out of the place on a stretcher.the net wouldn't hinder anybody's view of the game.

don137
09-26-2002, 05:48 AM
I also think it is a great thing. It's not to just protect a person physically but mentally as well. Just think how much mental anguish has resulted over the years from fans spilling large quantities of beer trying to avoid a flying puck. We can rest easy tonight.:drinker:

Ð
09-26-2002, 06:17 AM
Spilled beer = alcohol abuse :D