PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to complain about the officiating...

OpIv37
09-22-2003, 07:05 AM
but not that meaningless touchdown at the end of the game, or the interception that wasn't (the next one was better anyway).

When Miami scored their first TD, there was a holding penalty called on Buffalo. Well, on that same play, one of the Bills D-lineman (Denney I think) jumped to try to tip the pass and got held by his facemask. It was at the top of the screen and fairly blatant, but there was no call. This lead to the turning point of the game- each team was equally inept on offense at this point.

And perhaps the worst part is that the Bills were flagged for illegal hands to the face a play or two before this....

I also think Surtain may have held Moulds on an incomplete 3rd down play, but they didn't show the replay clearly enough to tell.

The offense played so poorly that I can't say that either of these calls would have definitely turned the game around, but we shouldn't have to beat the Dolphins AND the refs to win.

StanMarino13
09-22-2003, 07:28 AM
I thought it was only silly Fin fans that made excuses?? I.E. Ray Lucas and 6 turnovers?

Jan Reimers
09-22-2003, 07:28 AM
The officiating didn't beat us. Their running game and our complete lack thereof did.

OpIv37
09-22-2003, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by StanMarino13
I thought it was only silly Fin fans that made excuses?? I.E. Ray Lucas and 6 turnovers?

I said it probably didn't change the outcome- that's not the point. Bad calls are bad calls and the NFL needs to do something about it. Don't call one team for illegal hands to the face then let it slide when the other team pulls a guy out of the air by his facemask.

If I wanted to make excuses, I could be complaining about the last touchdown, but regardless of the call, it was inconsequential. The Bills had already lost at that point, and there's a good chance Miami would have scored on 4th down anyway.

Novacane
09-22-2003, 08:49 AM
The officiating did not cost us the game but they were bad as usual. There was no way that TD should have been over turned. That had to stay as called on the field. There was not conclusive evidence. We would not have scored anyway.....................our O could not have scored against the Dolphins Cheerleaders last night.
Refs will blow some calls our way as the season goes along. Thier stupidity usually evens out after 16 games.

LtBillsFan66
09-22-2003, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by Jan Reimers
The officiating didn't beat us. Their running game and our complete lack thereof did.

:up:

Guys, we have to face reality here. A few calls didn't go our way, but they WERE NOT anywhere near the difference in the game.

Novacane
09-22-2003, 09:34 AM
I think most people realize that.

LtBillsFan66
09-22-2003, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Fairway To Green
I think most people realize that.

True. I just read the first post. :D

StanMarino13
09-22-2003, 09:36 AM
The td with 2 minutes left? Looked like a td to me, what was wrong with it? Usually every game refs miss calls like that on the line. I'm sure its hard to see in the trenches, every oline could have more penalties called on it seeing as how they are all taught how to hold and get away with it.

mybills
09-22-2003, 09:37 AM
I didn't like the officiating in any of the games I watched yesterday! Hence, the sig below! :D

Dozerdog
09-22-2003, 09:39 AM
Unless you thought Jax and the pats games were officiating abortions and posted as well, it's a tough sell for a thread like this after yesterday.

I am still all for full time Refs

mybills
09-22-2003, 09:40 AM
The td with 2 minutes left? Looked like a td to me, what was wrong with it?

forward motion stopped, elbow on the ground before the ball went over the line, but I guess they didn't blow the whistle so that made it ok to change the call.

justasportsfan
09-22-2003, 09:46 AM
It wasn't the ref's. It was all the O's fault. No one else's. When a team isn't able to score a lot of points , they give the ref's a chance to blow the game away. Our O couldn't even score. Let's not look elsewhere but within ourselves when it comes to weaknesses.

LtBillsFan66
09-22-2003, 09:46 AM
The td with 2 minutes left? Looked like a td to me, what was wrong with it? Usually every game refs miss calls like that on the line. I'm sure its hard to see in the trenches, every oline could have more penalties called on it seeing as how they are all taught how to hold and get away with it.

I didn't think it was a TD. It looked like his forward progress was stopped, and that was the call on the field. There was nothing in the review to reverse the call, IMO. The same can be said if it was called a TD to begin with - the replay didn't prove or disprove anything.

That said, I think Ricky would have taken the next play in anyway.

Novacane
09-22-2003, 09:50 AM

I can see your side of the arguement. My side is valid too. You can argue it both ways. That is why it should not have been overturned. The rule states there must be conclusive evidence to overturn which there was not.

RedEyE
09-22-2003, 10:14 AM
Most of you are right, the officiating did not lose that game for us, however, it is absolutely necessary for the officials to let the game be played.

This is what I mean:
(1)Ricky's momentum was stopped at the goal line. Most likely they would have gone for it and gotten the TD on the very next play anyway. The officials have to call the video irrefutable evidence and let the Dolphins try again. In my eyes there was not enough evidence to overturn that ball. You couldn't even see all of his limbs in the review. It was completely unnecessary to give them the TD. Let the game be played. They proabably would have gotten it anyway.

(2) The INT that wasn't.......the officials have been told time and time again not to prematurely blow the whistle. The coaches have the opportunity to review a play if necessary and if the official blows the whistle before the entire play is through, the play cannot then be reviewed. It worked out for the Bills on the very next play, but it's still irresponsible.

(3)The Bills were finally driving with seconds left on the clock, a pass was caught on 3rd down and it was clearly not a 1st down. The line judge actually had the right mark on the field as he was ran to reset the ball. Suddenly out of nowhere he jumps 2 yards towards the Dolphins goal line and when he places the ball down it's a sweet mark for the Bills and a 1st down that wasn't. Of course the Bills did nothing with the ball anyway...........

ultimatefinfan
09-22-2003, 10:20 AM
no knees on the ground (neither was the elbow) and ball crosses the plane before the whistle....touchdown...and yes it was a good call, and yes it was crucial cause if u were to stop us on 4th down the next play (unlikely from the half-inch line) but if u did, the dolphins are notorious for giving up drives like that...

LtBillsFan66
09-22-2003, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by ultimatefinfan
no knees on the ground (neither was the elbow) and ball crosses the plane before the whistle....touchdown...and yes it was a good call, and yes it was crucial cause if u were to stop us on 4th down the next play (unlikely from the half-inch line) but if u did, the dolphins are notorious for giving up drives like that...

What whistle? Was that a factor? To be honest, I couldn't hear a thing on TV at the bar.

RedEyE
09-22-2003, 10:36 AM

If it was that cut and dry why did it take the video to decide the outcome of the TD? There wasn't one damn official on the field that thought it was a TD, otherwise the arms would have been raised...............

StanMarino13
09-22-2003, 10:39 AM
Well there is a reason for the video replay, and thats cuz the refs miss calls:rolleyes:

LtBillsFan66
09-22-2003, 10:41 AM
Well there is a reason for the video replay, and thats cuz the refs miss calls:rolleyes:

But there wasn't conclusive evidence to overturn it, IMO. It looked to me like the forward progress was stopped.

I don't think it would have made a difference in the game anyway...

PhinPhan1227
09-22-2003, 10:44 AM

Not the way the Phins D was playing. If we miss the score on 4th down we give them the ball on the 1 inch line. But honestly, the Bills didn't stop Ricky for anything short of a 1-2 yard gain in the entire 4th quarter, so I doubt we miss it on 4th down anyway. As for the Int, it would have worked to the Phins advantage BIG time if the first call had been ruled correctly. Might have been a shut out.

PhinPhan1227
09-22-2003, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by billsfanone

But there wasn't conclusive evidence to overturn it, IMO. It looked to me like the forward progress was stopped.

I don't think it would have made a difference in the game anyway...

Is forward momentum ruled by the players forward momentum, or the balls? Ricky Stopped, but the ball kept moving the entire time.

LtBillsFan66
09-22-2003, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by PhinPhan1227
Is forward momentum ruled by the players forward momentum, or the balls? Ricky Stopped, but the ball kept moving the entire time.

The player. I'm almost positive.

RedEyE
09-22-2003, 11:13 AM

Your right on there Mr. Obvious. :up:

Which brings up the point IRREFUTABLE EVIDENCE. An official cannot overturn the call without there being IRREFUTABLE EVIDENCE that the call on the field was incorrect. I'm not sure what replay the officials were watching, but the replay on the screen did not prove to have enough evidence to overturn the call. You couldn't even see all of his limbs to determine whether or not his body was or was not on the ground. The official has to make the call that there isn't enough evidence on the replay to overturn the call on the field.
But he did, and this in turn takes the game away from the players and places the outcome into the hands of the officiating crew. Replay was not established to have the officials decide the outcome of a game.

Ricky was pounding us at the time anyway and would have gotten the TD on the very next play.

Ebenezer
09-22-2003, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by OpIv37
I'm going to complain about the officiating...

then don't. The defense held the team in the game until the 4th and the offense could never get it going. Lay the blame at the entire offense. Period.

pcnorth22
09-22-2003, 12:06 PM

I think its debatable....my problem with that call is that, let's say the Bills had knocked the ball out of Ricky's hands the second he pushed the ball over the goalline....he would have been called down already....i just think it shouldn't have been overturned.....

Having said that...I believe Miami would have gone for it on 4th down and would've gotten it anyway..so its a mute point..

Ebenezer
09-22-2003, 12:09 PM
As soon as they went to replay it was going to be a TD. They were not going to side against Miami at home...not after all the blown calls against Houston.

OpIv37
09-22-2003, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Ebenezer
As soon as they went to replay it was going to be a TD. They were not going to side against Miami at home...not after all the blown calls against Houston.

1. There shouldn't be any blown calls against Houston OR Buffalo- the refs should be better than that. People make mistakes, but there is a limit to the number and magnitude that can be tolerated.

2. Didn't their mothers ever tell them that "two wrongs don't make a right?" Shafting Buffalo this week doesn't make up for shafting Miami in Week 1. Try applying that logic to any other profession: "Well, I only put two tires on that car, but I'll put 6 on this one to make up the difference".

Again, the touchdown was inconsequential- the Bills had virtually already lost. But that doesn't get the refs off the hook for calling a bad game.

The Spaz
09-22-2003, 12:22 PM
I'm glad that Clements took that INT to the house but how in the hell did they noit give Prioleau that INT before? He caught the ball took 2 steps tucked it away then fumbled, to me that constitues control of the ball. The Refs on that call were absolutely pathetic!

OpIv37
09-22-2003, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by The Spaz
I'm glad that Clements took that INT to the house but how in the hell did they noit give Prioleau that INT before? He caught the ball took 2 steps tucked it away then fumbled, to me that constitues control of the ball. The Refs on that call were absolutely pathetic!

This is exactly what I'm talking about- the call worked out in our favor, but it was still a terrible call. Miami fans probably thought they got away with one, but wished they hadn't a few seconds later.

Ebenezer
09-22-2003, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by OpIv37
1. There shouldn't be any blown calls against Houston OR Buffalo- the refs should be better than that. People make mistakes, but there is a limit to the number and magnitude that can be tolerated.

2. Didn't their mothers ever tell them that "two wrongs don't make a right?" Shafting Buffalo this week doesn't make up for shafting Miami in Week 1. Try applying that logic to any other profession: "Well, I only put two tires on that car, but I'll put 6 on this one to make up the difference".

Again, the touchdown was inconsequential- the Bills had virtually already lost. But that doesn't get the refs off the hook for calling a bad game.

I heard the league sent a letter to the 'Fins after the Houston game saying they blew 8 calls.

OpIv37
09-22-2003, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by Ebenezer

I heard the league sent a letter to the 'Fins after the Houston game saying they blew 8 calls.

That's strange- usually the Dolphins benefit from blown calls, especially late in close games (and I'm not referring to last night, either).

But my own personal bias aside, that's inexcusable. How many of us would still be employed if we only worked 3 hours a week and made 8 mistakes?

jbrec
09-22-2003, 12:45 PM
I dont think that the officiating was the problem last night. Yeah you are right about the calls you mentioned, there were some calls that never was made that should have been against miami. But the thing that it comes down to the most here, is that buffalo had the ball for what 18 mins out of the whole game, u cant win when that happens. The offense was pitiful on in every way. The defense i give propts to due to the fact that they were on the field the whole game and only gave up 17 points to a pretty strong offense in the heat down in miami.. The better look at this game and realize that they might not be as good as they think and step it up next week..

OpIv37
09-22-2003, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by jbrec
I dont think that the officiating was the problem last night. Yeah you are right about the calls you mentioned, there were some calls that never was made that should have been against miami. But the thing that it comes down to the most here, is that buffalo had the ball for what 18 mins out of the whole game, u cant win when that happens. The offense was pitiful on in every way. The defense i give propts to due to the fact that they were on the field the whole game and only gave up 17 points to a pretty strong offense in the heat down in miami.. The better look at this game and realize that they might not be as good as they think and step it up next week..

You're absolutely right that the Bills need to step it up, but that doesn't excuse the poor officiating. Next week it may mean the difference in the game.

The_Philster
09-22-2003, 05:30 PM
I think a lot of people in this thread are missing what OpIv37 is saying. He didn't blame the officiating...just commenting on how bad it was. The best teams (that up until last night we thought described us) overcome bad officiating.