PDA

View Full Version : It's Monday...and I'm here to talk football

PhinPhan1227
09-22-2003, 07:45 AM
Ok..since I'm a positive person and this is your board, I'll discuss the Bills positives first. Number one, you guys have a mutant for a punter. Seriously, the guy must have been gentically modified. I think I saw him punt the ball from YOUR 10 to OUR 10. I wouldn't be surprised if he could outpunt your kickers kicks. Number two, the Bills defense has taken a big step forward from last season. They went from swiss cheese to ball-hawks. That being said, they aren't quite as good as the first two weeks made them look. Ok, now the Phins positives...the Defense was PERFECT!! Best performance by the Phins D against a strong opponent I've ever seen. Bills offense was completely shut down. Run game was left to the front four who stuffed it and the Pass rush finally showed up. Oh, and could everyone remind me just how slow Sammy Knight is? As for the O...Ricky needs to hold on to the ball, but watching him is like watching the ocean beating agaist a cliff...he'll wear you down eventually no matter what you do to him. Jay turned the ball over too many times...but again I think a big part of the "blame" for that falls on the Bills D. Thanks for a great game, and a great week of football talk folks. A few of you were gracious in the week preceding the game, it'll be interesting to see how many are gracious the week after a loss. Bills and Phins are tied up, and the season starts NOW. Cheers!:duel:

Patrick76777
09-22-2003, 07:49 AM
nice recap. I can live with that.

I thought was a hell of a defensive game! That's the type of game that the home team wins 9 out of 10 times. That crowd had the Phins D Jacked!

A road division game on Primetime is the toughest game to play.

Dozerdog
09-22-2003, 07:50 AM
Perfect assessment.:up:

I thought it was one of the Better Bills defensive showings -Ricky still averaged less than 4 yards a carry (42 for 153)- Its just the Bills offense gave him all that time to work with.

If it was a regular 25 carry game, Ricky would have had a 90 -95 yard effort

justasportsfan
09-22-2003, 07:55 AM
The fins DL just dominated our OL. Kept our O off the field long enough for us not to get into a rythm.

Les Steckl should get the heat for his OL getting tossed around like a ragdoll.

Our D is definitely good, Not good enough to get pounded 42 times.

snow1989
09-22-2003, 07:57 AM
I agree....and FINALLY this should make some of the pundits around here realize that we NEED a running game....great assessment though

StanMarino13
09-22-2003, 07:59 AM
I believe the yards rushing per quarter just kept goin up until he had right around 70 yards in the 4th quarter. Ricky, and the defenses were amazing in that game. Biggest heads up plays would probably go to Clements on his two ints. One running all the way from the other side of the field. Two the one where he knew more of what was goin on then McKnight did and went flying past him for the score. Knights Int was pretty nice too.

Jan Reimers
09-22-2003, 08:01 AM
Your D was ferocious and your running game punishing. Our D was almost as good as yours, considering it was on the field for 40+ minutes on a warm, humid night. The obvious difference between the teams: The Fins have a big time running game. The Bills do not.

LtBillsFan66
09-22-2003, 08:04 AM
Good call 1227. Fair assessment.

Crow tastes nasty in the morning. :D

PhinPhan1227
09-22-2003, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
Perfect assessment.:up:

I thought it was one of the Better Bills defensive showings -Ricky still averaged less than 4 yards a carry (42 for 153)- Its just the Bills offense gave him all that time to work with.

If it was a regular 25 carry game, Ricky would have had a 90 -95 yard effort

If the Phins D shows up like this for the rest of the season, that kind of performance from Ricky will win almost every time. When the Phins D is keeping the other guy from scoring, those 3-3.5yd carries will eat up clock, and get 1st downs, and that's all I could ever ask for.

mush69
09-22-2003, 08:12 AM
It was a hard fought game and my hat goes off to the phins D. They kept Drew and company off the field. When we did get the ball in the red zone we turned it over. Those are mistakes that we have seen before here in Buffalo. I'm still trying to figure out why Travis was throwing the ball?

We will meet up again with the filthy fish, and it better be a different team that shows up for us!

Patrick76777
09-22-2003, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by PhinPhan1227

If the Phins D shows up like this for the rest of the season, that kind of performance from Ricky will win almost every time. When the Phins D is keeping the other guy from scoring, those 3-3.5yd carries will eat up clock, and get 1st downs, and that's all I could ever ask for.

I disagree with this.

That gameplan will not work on the road against a good opponent!

Billsbabee
09-22-2003, 08:50 AM
Very accurate assessment 122. :up: You guys handed it to us last night. And our offense handed it to you.

See ya in Decemburrrr in our house.

Dozerdog
09-22-2003, 08:55 AM

No RB will last a season with that workload- See "Earl Campbell"

The Spaz
09-22-2003, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by justasportsfan
The fins DL just dominated our OL. Kept our O off the field long enough for us not to get into a rythm.

Les Steckl should get the heat for his OL getting tossed around like a ragdoll.

Our D is definitely good, Not good enough to get pounded 42 times.

That would be Pat Ruel!:)

PhinPhan1227
09-22-2003, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by Patrick76777

I disagree with this.

That gameplan will not work on the road against a good opponent!

Why not? The defense played shut down football. If we're playing a good team on the road and keeping them from scoring, a steady diet of Ricky is EXACTLY what works. It takes the 12th man out of the game, and it eats clock. Conversely, relying on the passing game on the road is where the crowd noise comes in, and where you're going to suffer BIG turnovers.

PhinPhan1227
09-22-2003, 09:04 AM

No RB will last a season with that workload- See "Earl Campbell"

Depends....going up the middle I'd agree. But since Ricky isn't taking the same punishment running to the outside, he may last longer. Also, he won't see 42 carries again.

Dozerdog
09-22-2003, 09:06 AM
Depends....going up the middle I'd agree. But since Ricky isn't taking the same punishment running to the outside, he may last longer. Also, he won't see 42 carries again.

He wasn't Franco Harris last night either- that guy never saw a sideline he didn't like....Ricky took a lickin' and kept on tickin'

Patrick76777
09-22-2003, 09:08 AM

Why not? The defense played shut down football. If we're playing a good team on the road and keeping them from scoring, a steady diet of Ricky is EXACTLY what works. It takes the 12th man out of the game, and it eats clock. Conversely, relying on the passing game on the road is where the crowd noise comes in, and where you're going to suffer BIG turnovers.

I just think that the crowd played a big part of the game. If that game were in Buffalo, Your D wouldn’t have had the advantage and our O would have put up better numbers. That’s my opinion but that’s how I feel. Plus, our D would have had that advantage.

It comes down to points. Your not going to score many points by running the ball 42 times for 3 yards a shot.

Novacane
09-22-2003, 09:11 AM

Your D played a perfect game last night. You can't expect that every week. That is a once a season performance, if that. They were awesome.............................I give them all the credit. I just think you are getting way ahead of yourself if you expect that week in and week out. They still have not proved they can play on the road.

Dozerdog
09-22-2003, 09:12 AM
3.6468745668122 YPC

To be exact

PhinPhan1227
09-22-2003, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by Fairway To Green

Your D played a perfect game last night. You can't expect that every week. That is a once a season performance, if that. They were awesome.............................I give them all the credit. I just think you are getting way ahead of yourself if you expect that week in and week out. They still have not proved they can play on the road.

We also won't be playing against on O like the Bills every week.

Patrick76777
09-22-2003, 09:17 AM
I just think emotions and crowd noise played a VERY BIG part in that game.

and if it were played in Buffalo, I think the Bills win. Possible by a bigger margin if you have the same game plan!

PhinPhan1227
09-22-2003, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by Patrick76777

I just think that the crowd played a big part of the game. If that game were in Buffalo, Your D wouldn’t have had the advantage and our O would have put up better numbers. That’s my opinion but that’s how I feel. Plus, our D would have had that advantage.

It comes down to points. Your not going to score many points by running the ball 42 times for 3 yards a shot.

Lol...How could a Phins crowd have that much of an impact? Isn't it composed of 50% Dolphins fans who don't care, and 50% Bills fans?...:lmao:

Patrick76777
09-22-2003, 09:20 AM
It sounded damn loud to me! And you could see the D feed off of it!

Novacane
09-22-2003, 09:21 AM

We also won't be playing against on O like the Bills every week.

You are right.................you will have to play teams that can run the ball as well as throw. You guys go in 2 weeks and perform like that ON THE ROAD against the Giants.......................at team that can run and pass than I'll be worried.

your D has been dominant at home for years and average on the road. They have to prove this year is going to be differant. Until they do I'm not going to corinate them one of the greatest D's of alltime like is being said at finheaven today.

PhinPhan1227
09-22-2003, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by Fairway To Green

You are right.................you will have to play teams that can run the ball as well as throw. You guys go in 2 weeks and perform like that ON THE ROAD against the Giants.......................at team that can run and pass than I'll be worried.

your D has been dominant at home for years and average on the road. They have to prove this year is going to be differant. Until they do I'm not going to corinate them one of the greatest D's of alltime like is being said at finheaven today.

They need to prove they can do it on the road anyway...but they got it done against the Jets with the pass D still faltering, so I'm optimistic that we can give the Giants a good game of it.

Dolphinatic
09-22-2003, 12:06 PM
3.6468745668122 YPC

To be exact

Yeah, but it would've been 3.666667 if he hadn't gotten a bad spot in the second quarter. Frickin' refs...

The_Philster
09-22-2003, 05:20 PM
They need to prove they can do it on the road anyway...but they got it done against the Jets with the pass D still faltering, so I'm optimistic that we can give the Giants a good game of it.

It should be interesting with both of you having a BYE

Originally posted by Dolphinatic
Yeah, but it would've been 3.666667 if he hadn't gotten a bad spot in the second quarter. Frickin' refs...
:lol: