PDA

View Full Version : Should GW take over play calling

L.A. Playa
09-22-2003, 10:02 AM
Should Gregg Williams take ove the offensive play calling like Jim Fassel in NY and simplify the game plan???? Seems to me they are trying to outhink the opponents and not out physical them. When players have to think too much to execute thats when you lose focus and get dominated. Have some balls Gregg take over for Gilbride you have the horses run them> If you fail you'll end up someones defensive coordinator next year

Dozerdog
09-22-2003, 10:04 AM
I'd give it to Dick lebeau...LOL

That's taking the playcalling from the frying pan and putting it in the fire

L.A. Playa
09-22-2003, 10:05 AM
you never know maybe gregg williams real weakness is listening to his offensive coordinator too much maybe he is relying on his experienced ex head coaches too much and not trusting his own instincts

L.A. Playa
09-22-2003, 10:06 AM
there is a reason all these coaches are ex head coaches

L.A. Playa
09-22-2003, 10:07 AM
we could fire kevin gilbride and hire jim kelly
jk

Dozerdog
09-22-2003, 10:11 AM
I don't think some of GW's historic blunders have been due to "input" - AND EVEN IF THEY WERE, shame on him for taking bad advice. It's his call- his responsibility

Historian
09-22-2003, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by pmacla
Should Gregg Williams take ove the offensive play calling like Jim Fassel in NY and simplify the game plan????

ABSOLUTELY!!!! Gregg should take over the playcalling for his son's team at CLARENCE HIGH SCHOOL!!!!:duel:

Jan Reimers
09-22-2003, 10:37 AM
Why bother? GW is dumber than KG.

ryjam282
09-22-2003, 10:41 AM
I don't think that is a good idea. KG knows what he is doing, but we really need to open some holes for Henry or we will be exactly what we were last year. A passing team with no running ability. We must stress that this week in practice and get Philly back on there heels with a steady dose of Henry. That is what ripped J-ville. They kept 8 in the box waiting for Henry and we kept punishing them with Bledsoe so we have to get teams scared of one aspect and hammer away with the other.

GO BILLS!!!

Ryan

L.A. Playa
09-22-2003, 10:44 AM
there is a post on here that is very good saying that henry is trying to hard that a 3 yard gain is better than no gain and henry is trying to break every run rather than take the 3 he just needs to hit the holes and eventually will break a few remember thats what he basically did last year alot of 3 yard gains then 3 10 yard gains to get his average up he wants to make big play every down to show hes better than mc gahee

stuckincincy
09-22-2003, 10:46 AM
Dozerdog, I agree wholeheartedly. In the sports biz, the head honcho dam* well better be the equilavent of the captain of a ship.

That team owners seem to tolerate a lack of ultimate command that they wouldn't tolerate in their other business interests stems, IMHO, from the fact that the sports biz is one of a handful that one can wipe off your boots in the face of the paying customer yet they always come back for more.

My wife calls me a cynic :}

justasportsfan
09-22-2003, 10:53 AM
If I were GW, I'd grab Gilbride by the collar and set his ass straight with better running schemes. If only he had a runing attack that's sends shivers down the spines of D coordinators, that would only make his passing games more dangerous.Question is, does Gilbride have the brians for a running attack?

I know Norv's system is based on the run game. Everything feeds off the run game. Gilbride's system however is based on the pass. Norv has a rb who fits well into his system. Gilbride has a qb who fits well into his system.

The Spaz
09-22-2003, 11:19 AM
All I know is whoever calls the plays should be taking at least 50% of the blame and the other 50% should be put on the players for not executing. The players didn't execute at all on offense of course.

LABillsFan
09-22-2003, 01:19 PM
I know Norv's system is based on the run game. Everything feeds off the run game. Gilbride's system however is based on the pass. Norv has a rb who fits well into his system. Gilbride has a qb who fits well into his system.

So true Justa. I'd like to add to that by saying Gilbride doesn't have the back he would prefer for his system as well. Fiedler is a guy who does best with a dominant running game 18-8 when he passes for 200 yards or less he is there to spell RW, Bledsoe needs that all purpose back, one who can run/catch/ chip block/ leap for a first down or TD in order for him to get a rest.

The_Philster
09-22-2003, 05:37 PM
The big difference between GW and Fassel is this. GW coached defense and special teams. Fassel coached on offense.

Ð
09-22-2003, 05:40 PM
Interesting thread. I've never heard the word outhink and Gregg Williams mentioned in the same sentence.

Maybe "outthunk" as in the other coach "outthunk" GW yet again.