PDA

View Full Version : The Bills Running Game

Ingtar33
09-22-2003, 10:04 AM
Well I've now had three weeks worth of games to look at the Bills offense and defense, and have a few observations about both. But for now I think I'll focus on our running game woes.

From what I've seen it looks like we have two problems, one the offensive line and two the running back.

The offensive line:
The problems with the O-line have been apparent since the preseason. What are these problems you might ask? Well simply put no-one from Pucillo to Jennings can run block. Last yeast we got decent run blocking from Mike Williams, M. Sullivan, and R. Brown. With Teague being below adequate, and Jennings barely holding his own. Well, what has changed? Sullivan, who was a terrible pass blocker is gone in favor of Pucillo, who just happens to be one of the worse run blockers I've seen. Throw in the fact it looks like R. Brown aged 20 years overnight and can no-longer play, the fact Teague is just as lousy run blocker as ever and Jennings is nothing to write home about and you have a huge problem with the running game. That said, I still noticed that the o-line as bad as it has been in this department has still been opening holes, which brings us to...

The Running Back:
Or I should say more specifically, Travis Henry. It was no surprise to me that once Joe Burns got into the game against the fins; mystically holes seemed to open up. Simply put, Henry has run with blinders this whole year. He does not see the holes anymore, and just lowers his head and plows into the backs of his linemen. What will do this to a RB? Well, two things.

We had a senior RB when I was coaching who started to run like Travis and it took our coaching staff to sit down with him and tell him to take the 3 yard gain. You see, Travis has spent the whole off-season hearing how great he is. Then this young hotshot shows up, and Travis thinks he has to make 10 yards a pop, and is intentionally passing up the sure 3 yard gain looking for a game breaking run. In essence he is hesitating then bouncing outside thinking to find more room. Just watch those games over, you will see it over and over, Henry will have an easy 2 or 3 if he cuts inside, and instead he keeps drifting outside, then turns his shoulders toward the sideline and tries to take the corner.

The second problem is that Henry is clearly worrying too much about fumbling. When Henry gets near contact he is lowering his head and plowing forward blindly. When a RB starts to do these two things he no-longer is an effective runner. What is worse is the longer his slump goes the more he will try to force it and bad habit no.1 will continue to get worse not better. We solved the problem with our back by telling him that if he was not gaining 3 yards a pop... just 3 yards, he would sit. We told him that he had to learn to take what the D is giving him, and not force it, that you can't gain 10 yards a pop if its not there. And that he was hurting the team. He listened, and the next week ripped off a 150 yard game at 6 yards a pop... and he didn't make a single bounce to the outside... he simply took the cutbacks when they were there, and ran smart, not greedy.

Solutions?
Well, to the RB problem, it will take a coach to sit down with Travis and get his head back into the game. Get him back to simply gaining yards. Now as to the run blocking? Well there are things you can do to open holes even with a poor O-line. I would like to see more counter’s and more pulling guard action. I’d also like to see us get into more pitchouts if for no other reason that to make the opposing LBers respect the outside run, and I’d like to see more quick hitting inside runs called, simple dives would be fine in my book. In the end run blocking is an attitude, and your coaching staff has to give the o-line confidence, because right now they are feeling awful, doubting themselves, questioning their abilities. That can be a disaster if not rectified soon.

justasportsfan
09-22-2003, 10:10 AM
I too was beginning to wonder if having Burns in there would pick us up 3-4 yards a carry. He did seem to pick yards up in Jax compared to Henry.

3.3 ypc was enough for the Fins (nothing for a great rb like RW) to keep our O off the field and get any kind of rythm going.

Tatonka
09-22-2003, 10:11 AM
good post. good to see you back ing.

LtBillsFan66
09-22-2003, 10:12 AM
I couldn't agree more about Henry. He looks absolutely terrible following blocks, cutting back, reading holes, etc.

Turf
09-22-2003, 10:15 AM
Excellent post Ingtar. Especially the play calling part of it as well.

RedEyE
09-22-2003, 10:25 AM
I like the Henry theory, but I'm leaning towards the OL. There were several times last night and in the 2 games before when Gash was lead blocking and had to abruptly stop to take on defensive lineman rather than seeking that hole stuffing linebacker. This instantly jams up the hole and leaves Henry little room to maneuver. The FB slows Henry down a bit, making him patient whether he wants to be or not. He has no choice but to wait for his block and his hole. There wasn't a hole to hit over 1/2 the time. That OLwas getting man handled last night.

RedEyE
09-22-2003, 10:33 AM
....also we all know that a rythem has to be established in order for the run to become 100% succesful. That rythem hasn't been set all year and it seems to me as soon as things are going well on the ground we revert back to the air. The coaches are showing little confidence in the run game right now. Bledsoe cannot carry this team into the playoffs the run has to be established this week.

justasportsfan
09-22-2003, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by RedEyE
I like the Henry theory, but I'm leaning towards the OL. There were several times last night and in the 2 games before when Gash was lead blocking and had to abruptly stop to take on defensive lineman rather than seeking that hole stuffing linebacker. This instantly jams up the hole and leaves Henry little room to maneuver. The FB slows Henry down a bit, making him be patient whether he wants to be or not. He has no choice but to wait for his block and his hole. There wasn't a hole to hit over 1/2 the time. That OLwas getting man handled last night.

If this were true redeye, why does it seem like Burns , in the few carry's he's had seems to have more success w/ the same OL Henry has?

I would try to run both rb's against the eagles and see where we're at.

ryjam282
09-22-2003, 10:36 AM
I have to agree as well. Henry really needs to stop reading his press clippings from last year and show us he is the man, otherwise I will be waiting to see what we have in McGahee...

GO BILLS!!!

Ryan

THATHURMANATOR
09-22-2003, 10:43 AM
That isn't good news. I wasn't aware that our run blocking was so poor. Do you think they should get Sullivan back in at guard? In other words is Puccillo such a better pass blocker that he negates Sullivans run blocking?

Thanks ING.

RedEyE
09-22-2003, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by justasportsfan

If this were true redeye, why does it seem like Burns , in the few carry's he's had seems to have more success w/ the same OL Henry has?

I would try to run both rb's against the eagles and see where we're at.

I'm not sure that Burns did anything spectacular, but I understand your question just the same. Here's my take for what it's worth:

It wasn't even until the early 4th qrtr. late 3rd that Burns seem to start having success (I use this word very loosely). At that time Gash had already been pulled from the game and was no longer a factor. The Bills instead went with the extra reciever and spread out the dolphins linebackers against the pass and that also allowed them to open up the blitzing more. This left suttle room for Burns to produce.

Also, it was Mike Williams side of the field that was getting blown out. You could see it on that stupid play that Henry was to pass into the endzone The whole right side of the OL was instantly pushed 5 yards off the line. Jonas was doing a stellar job of handling Jason Taylor. He did have that one inconsequential holding call that saved Drew's ass, but that was the only time that Taylor found himself in the deep backfield. Taylor did not even record a single tackle all night.

fabolouspaul
09-22-2003, 10:53 AM
I remembered henry ran a lot towards the outside last year. Seems to going up the middle more this year. Hope he gets the hint!!!!

LtBillsFan66
09-22-2003, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by fabolouspaul
I remembered henry ran a lot towards the outside last year. Seems to going up the middle more this year. Hope he gets the hint!!!!

Depends on the play called.

RedEyE
09-22-2003, 10:59 AM
Additional note, going back to finding that rythem with the run . Ricky Williams had only 30 - 40 yards after 15 carries, but the Dolphins stuck with the run and sparingly used their passing game until needed. Eventually Henry, just as Ricky did to our D, will wear a defense down and those 2.1 ypc suddenly turn into 3 and 4 ypc on average. Henry hasn't been allowed to do that all season.

It's disgusting that Ricky touched the ball over 40x, but just the same it took him 40 carries for the Dolphins to have that success.

Michael82
09-22-2003, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
That isn't good news. I wasn't aware that our run blocking was so poor. Do you think they should get Sullivan back in at guard? In other words is Puccillo such a better pass blocker that he negates Sullivans run blocking?

Thanks ING.

That's what I was thinking! Bring Sullivan back to RG and put Pucillo back on the bench and work with him on run blocking. Pucillo looked terrible pass blocking yesterday too (he let two guys in so easily to sack Bledsoe)...so IMO, maybe it's time to see if Marques Sullivan is what the Bills need to get the run game going again.

Jan Reimers
09-22-2003, 11:22 AM
The trouble is, if Sullivan is better than Pucillo, he'd already be in there. But I guess a change couldn't hurt, as badly as we suck right now.

colin
09-22-2003, 11:56 AM
I don't disagree in principal Ing, but back make lines, we saw ricki do that last night, we had their number early, and we just let them stay on the field.

Anyhow, our line has had some nice pass blocking (although last night they made just enough terrible mistakes to kill us), so they have the physical ability to run block as well, and did so last year.

The biggest problem is that we don't think we can run block, and we think that way because Henry thinks he can't run (or has to do something stupid like bounce around or double arm the ball) and he thinks that way because he is not as good as some of his press, and if the stars are lined up, Willis will be our back.

I think I see why teams are zeroing in on our running game to take us off the field, it is our weakness.

Ebenezer
09-22-2003, 12:00 PM
I also do not think TH wants to be here...plain and simple.

Tatonka
09-22-2003, 12:09 PM
bull.. why would you even say that...

he has stated, even in the espn article, that he wants to be here.. he has always been a buffalo fan.

i think that is bunch of crap..

TD drafted a very injured RB to replace the good one that we already had. now his confidence is shook, and the line is blocking like crap in front of him. what do you think he was thinking when we drafted WM? fumbles.. i fumble too much.. even though i make great plays.. i put the ball on the ground..

guess what.. now it is backfiring.. he is so worried about not fumbling and WM looking over his shoulder, that he is not running instictively.

this is just a crappy situation, and i dont see it getting better to be honest..

and if WM comes in and sucks.. or doesnt get healthy.. or is even just decent but not great.. we are screwed.. royally.

LABillsFan
09-22-2003, 12:31 PM
Whether TH wants to be a Bill or not is a moot point. If he produces he plays, if not, he goes. While the Bills could rearrange the line, I think it would be best to give some of the other backs a chance to see what they can do. I don't think it can get any worse. With WM's speed pull the linemen use sweeps and screens, with Morris' catching ability throw to the flat and his bulk, run him off tackle, with Burns run him up the gut. The fact is the running game is not working with Henry in there and if there were better linemen on the team, they would be playing.

HenryRules
09-22-2003, 12:42 PM
Since the season started, I've thought that the change in OL coach might have something to do with it. I think everyone on the line is pass-blocking better and also, everyone on the line is now run-blocking worse. Perhaps the new coach knows how to pass-block but his techniques for run blocking suck. Or maybe they emphasized pass blocking in the offseason to the exclusion of run blocking.

I dunno, just wondering if anyone else thinks the change in OL coaches (which I have never understood as I thought our OL was progressing well) has had any impact.

stuckincincy
09-22-2003, 01:01 PM
Ingtar - nice post. Myself, I generally dislike one-back sets, if only to keep 'em guessing. Also, if the opposing D chooses to put the so-called "spy" onto my top back, so much the better.

The Revered Old Coot Woody Hayes and his 3 yards of dust was right in my book. Move the sticks and keep yourself calling the shots and the clock.

BTW, they're still guarding the streets of Heaven.

bernielivsey_1
09-22-2003, 01:14 PM
We have a running game? Where? Who?
And we were worried about fumbles.

Bufftp
09-22-2003, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Ingtar33

Solutions?
Well, to the RB problem, it will take a coach to sit down with Travis and get his head back into the game. Get him back to simply gaining yards. Now as to the run blocking? Well there are things you can do to open holes even with a poor O-line. I would like to see more counter’s and more pulling guard action. I’d also like to see us get into more pitchouts if for no other reason that to make the opposing LBers respect the outside run, and I’d like to see more quick hitting inside runs called, simple dives would be fine in my book. In the end run blocking is an attitude, and your coaching staff has to give the o-line confidence, because right now they are feeling awful, doubting themselves, questioning their abilities. That can be a disaster if not rectified soon. [/B]Ingtar an insightful and disturbing post. If we don’t get some sort of running game, we will also lose the passing game, and our D will have to score 14 points a game..

Ingtar33
09-22-2003, 05:59 PM
listen, despite being an ex-QB, I'm a huge fan of 3yards and a cloud of dust. It goes with my natural conservative inklings... My idea of a perfect offense is one that protects the ball and plays a field position game. The Ravens of 2000 WERE the perfect team in my book.

That said, I have little problem with the play calling. Sometimes you have to just take what you can get. Look at Parcels, his offenses have mirrored the talent on his team... not some preconceived notion of what you want to run. I think the O we run is perhaps the best for the personnel.

As to Sullivan, he is a disaster at pass blocking, and while he is a better run blocker than Pucillo i don't think that is the solution to our problems. The Giants have a far worse O-line than we do, but they are doing the things necessary to give their linemen a chance. It i those type of things i would like to see our coaching staff start to do.

The problem is, that while Gilbride shows great feel for he passing game, for what is needed to get it going, he seems, through two years here, to have little feel for the running game... When ever the Bills seem to get a play in the running game (4 or 5 yards), he always seems to go back to the pass. It is this, that i would like to see change.

baalworship
09-22-2003, 07:58 PM
Ingtar 33, great information on Henry. All I knew was that he was dancing behind the line and LOOKED tentative against Jax. What I want to know is did the Bills change their run-blocking schemes this off-season? Could Ruel have changed that? I know we were a zone-blocking team last year.....

Cntrygal
09-23-2003, 04:04 AM
Thanks Ingtar, insightful as always. Can we send your posts to Donahue, Williams and Gilbride?