PDA

View Full Version : Statement Game This week ?

Ð
09-22-2003, 10:14 AM
Look, we're tied for first, going into a non-div game this weekend....

I've been saying for the last year that we need to establish an identity as a ball-pounding smash-mouth football team on O. We have the tools to do it, just not the coaching will to even try.

If I'm the coach this week, it's gonna be 2-a-days this week for the O & mostly on the blocking sled.

http://www.raecrowther.com/zigpop.jpg

Then it's the rope drill, where you line up the OL/DL across from each other with a rope at 2 1/2 feet off the gound and the OL moves the DL forward by getting low and establishing leverage for the run game.

Pound, pound, pound leverage into these big dummies heads. Do it in practice until they throw up, then do it 5 more times.

I know it sounds basic and kind of high schoolish, but these are basics that I haven't seen in three games.

In this week's game, we have to commit to at least 50% of offensive plays as run plays. If we lose, big deal, it's a non-div game...I'm looking to develop the toughness needed to be a nasty, smashmouth team. If we don't start breaking this out in practices/game situations early in the season, I don't see us going anywhere in the playoffs, when weather dictates that we have to be able to pound the ball.

RedEyE
09-22-2003, 10:17 AM
I think that GW should let the Bills D coach the drills for the O this week. Make them sweat, something they obviously did not do in the game.

Brian Griese Rulz
09-22-2003, 10:23 AM
Gonna be a tough game against the Eagles.

1) Eagles had 2 weeks to prepare
2) Buffalo coming off a emotional game.
3) Bills D and O coming off a pounding.
4) Eagles are due to win a game.

Ð
09-22-2003, 10:24 AM
Nah, the Bills O didn't even break a sweat, the way they played, it was like a bye week for the O.

Jan Reimers
09-22-2003, 10:49 AM
We can practice until we puke, but I can't see us bringing up a running game. You've got to win that proverbial battle of the trenches to do that, and then have a running back who gives a damn. We will not, and do not.