PDA

View Full Version : I know it’s a mute point…….

Patrick76777
09-22-2003, 10:38 AM
…..but I thought that once forward progress was stopped the play was over. Williams sure seemed stopped to me on that last TD! He was dead stopped with the ball a good half foot from the goal line before he reached it over!

Let me ask you this! What do you think the call is if one of our players grabs the ball out of his hands while he’s lying there with his forward motion stopped? They’d rule him down every single time.

I don’t think it’s a huge deal because, he probably put it in on the next play, but I think it was a bad call. A home team call if you will!

LtBillsFan66
09-22-2003, 10:40 AM
I agree.

Great point about the strip.

The issue isn't getting the knee down. Like it was suggested in another thread. It's about forward progress.

L.A. Playa
09-22-2003, 10:41 AM
i was thinking if buffalo had grabbed the ball out of his hands when he was trying to go over the goaline and ran it back 99 yards for a winning td. you know they would have said his forward progress was stopped and said no fumble. bad call by refs they should never be that involved in a close decision like that they may not have scored on the next play but no way the way we played do we go down the field and either tie or win the game. unfortunately in the NFL these days you have to play well enough to beat your opponent and the officials and we did neither

StanMarino13
09-22-2003, 10:42 AM
I believe u meant Moot, and i disagree looked like he was in for sure. Or maybe Mute was right ur point isnt worth hearing...j/k

Michael82
09-22-2003, 10:42 AM
The only reason why it was overturned...the whistle was NEVER blown to call it dead. :(

Patrick76777
09-22-2003, 10:49 AM
Moot / Mute. whatever.

Fact is. and no one can argue this. He was stopped for a least a second. That According to the rules is stopped forward progress. Therefore, the play should have been over.

and Mike, The whistle was blown and the play was ruled dead at the 1 foot line!

Which makes it even more strange. According to replay rules, it has to be 100% clear to reverse the call on the field. I don't think it was close to that!

PhinPhan1227
09-22-2003, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Patrick76777
Moot / Mute. whatever.

Fact is. and no one can argue this. He was stopped for a least a second. That According to the rules is stopped forward progress. Therefore, the play should have been over.

and Mike, The whistle was blown and the play was ruled dead at the 1 foot line!

Which makes it even more strange. According to replay rules, it has to be 100% clear to reverse the call on the field. I don't think it was close to that!

The question is...forward progress of the player, or the ball? The ball never stopped moving forward...but Ricky did. If it's the player than I agree...he did stop. But I think that almost every rule but the out of bounds deals with the ball, not the player. The ball never stopped moving forward, therefore there WAS forward motion.

Patrick76777
09-22-2003, 11:04 AM
I don't know, he was stopped an the ball was no where in site, then he reached up with it.

Plus back to my other point, if there was any question at all, the call on the field shouldn't have been reversed!

PhinPhan1227
09-22-2003, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Patrick76777
I don't know, he was stopped an the ball was no where in site, then he reached up with it.

Plus back to my other point, if there was any question at all, the call on the field shouldn't have been reversed!

Well hopefully the refs know the answer to that question. And I have to assume that the answer is the balls forward progress, not the players, or they wouldn't have overturned the call. There's no ambiguity on the actual play...Ricky was stopped but the ball wasn't. That's obvious on the tape. For the refs to overturn, the onus must be on the ball...not the player:deadhorse