PDA

View Full Version : When Gregg Williams is Fired in October, Who Will Replace Him ?

Ð
09-22-2003, 11:58 AM
Seriously, how long do we have to put up with being out-coached ?

XNOUGHT
09-22-2003, 12:00 PM
Donahue will try to coach the team.

Ebenezer
09-22-2003, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Ð
Seriously, how long do we have to put up with being out-coached ?

Gray is gone with GW...They better be 6-2 at the break.

LtBillsFan66
09-22-2003, 12:02 PM
He won't be fired.

justasportsfan
09-22-2003, 12:06 PM
The Janitor

Historian
09-22-2003, 12:08 PM
Linda Bogdan...Ralph's only daughter that cares about football!

Ð
09-22-2003, 12:09 PM
No the question was who will replace him, not, what position in the Bills organization he'll wind up as, justa. :D

LMB
09-22-2003, 12:09 PM
The sooner the better

The Spaz
09-22-2003, 12:10 PM
Were 2-1 lay off the ephedra.....lol:)!

justasportsfan
09-22-2003, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Ð
No the question was who will replace him, not, what position in the Bills organization he'll wind up as, justa. :D

:lol:

They can switch. The current janitor's comment is what got us Spikes. Not Donahoe or the $$

TedMock
09-22-2003, 12:33 PM
dude, it's 1 loss. We were definitely outcoached last night but don't panic. We beat the hell out of NE and Jax and we were certainly not outcoached in those two games. I said from day one I'm willing to give GW a chance this year given the talent and if he blows it this season then by all means fire him. You can't pull a coach out during the year, that never works. It only creates more turmoil, confusion and hostility.

Ð
09-22-2003, 12:36 PM
How about the bonehead fake punt in Jax ?

TedMock
09-22-2003, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Ð
How about the bonehead fake punt in Jax ?

terrible call...I agree. What about the 50 other good calls? We actually played a well balanced game against Jax and although Henry didn't rush for much we used the run effectively. He scored 3 times on short runs. The halfback pass was wide open last night but Pucillo got rocked and blown back right into Henry causing the pass to never really get off. If it did, even an incompletion, it wouldn't have been picked. It would've been a TD or gone out of the endzone. It was worth a risk at that point. Defense was playing well, we were deep in their territory, we couldn't run at all and it would've been a huge momentum shift in our favor. At that point it wasn't devastating to us. I'm not sold on GW as a head coach but he deserves a fair shot with a complete team which he has now. I am however terrified of Gilbride. He's gotten better so far but he seemed to revert again last night.

Ð
09-22-2003, 12:46 PM
The halfback pass or the fake punt would never have been called by any coach who is coaching at the NFL level, save for Cowher. That's my point.

Williams must go.

TedMock
09-22-2003, 12:50 PM
why wouldn't a halfback pass been called by another coach? I've seen it done by other teams. Like I said, it was wide open and full blame should go on Pucillo for getting blown back like that when all he had to do was hold his ground. Had that not happened we have a TD and "wow, what a great call!" "we really caught them off guard!"

Ð
09-22-2003, 12:54 PM
Sorry, we'll have to agree to disagree. It was a horrible call.

ArcticWildMan
09-22-2003, 12:59 PM
The call was fine. The pass by Henry sucked. If he doesn't underthrow it, it's an easy TD and we are dancing.

Novacane
09-22-2003, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by ArcticWildMan
The call was fine. The pass by Henry sucked. If he doesn't underthrow it, it's an easy TD and we are dancing.

Yep! And Gilbrides a genius for the call instead of a dog. It's all in the excecution by the players. They don't execute and coach's look stupid

The Spaz
09-22-2003, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Fairway To Green

Yep! And Gilbrides a genius for the call instead of a dog. It's all in the excecution by the players. They don't execute and coach's look stupid

That's exactly what I'm saying the players are the one's out on the field executing.:nerd:

TedMock
09-22-2003, 01:07 PM
I don't even blame Henry. I mentioned it earlier but if Pucillo doesn't get blown backwards right into Henry maybe the pass comes off a little better.

muestafa1
09-22-2003, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by TedMock
I don't even blame Henry. I mentioned it earlier but if Pucillo doesn't get blown backwards right into Henry maybe the pass comes off a little better.

Sorry... it was a bad call... anytime you ask your running back to run up towards the line and then throw you're asking for problems. A safer alternative would've been to toss it to Henry or hand-off to him and then have him run to the right, instead of up-field... He would've had a nicer cushion to work with.

Even QBs have problems throwing that close to the line when there is GOOD pass protection because a defensive player can get their hands up to bat it down...

lunatic_bills_fan
09-22-2003, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by TedMock
Pucillo is a CHUMP!!!!!!!!

Jan Reimers
09-22-2003, 01:20 PM
Bring back Marv.

formerpatsfans
09-22-2003, 01:24 PM
He is not going to get fired. It is one loss people, one loss.

Demon
09-22-2003, 01:36 PM
If Gary was allowed to coach this team, i would boycott the season.

Ð
09-22-2003, 02:21 PM
I just threw him in for kicks

Devin
09-22-2003, 02:41 PM
all overreacting to be honest.

Buffatexas
09-22-2003, 02:41 PM
My vote goes to Wys for head coach....seriously, I would like to see LeBeau gt the job if GW gets toasted

Ð
09-22-2003, 02:51 PM
:lol:

TedMock
09-22-2003, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by muestafa1

Sorry... it was a bad call... anytime you ask your running back to run up towards the line and then throw you're asking for problems. A safer alternative would've been to toss it to Henry or hand-off to him and then have him run to the right, instead of up-field... He would've had a nicer cushion to work with.

Even QBs have problems throwing that close to the line when there is GOOD pass protection because a defensive player can get their hands up to bat it down...

That's absolutely true but I don't think Henry was supposed to run up toward the line. Usually they run to the right and fade back a little for space to throw. I think Henry did that but Pucillo got knocked back 3 yards right into him. The play wasn't designed for a 5'9" back to throw right on his OL's butt, it just looked that way because their DL crushed us on that play.

Ð
09-22-2003, 05:28 PM
Yeah, if it weren't for the design, execution and defense's stuffing of the play, it would have been pretty good.

Oh, did I mention we were intercepted on the goaline, too ?

snow1989
09-22-2003, 05:32 PM
If GW doesn't find a running game and/or we don't go deep into the playoffs..GW doesn't get fired, he just doesn't get a contract..

Ð
09-22-2003, 07:35 PM
LOL, now Ralphie's pissed :D

Halbert
09-22-2003, 07:38 PM
I'd give a call to Kay Stephenson and Hank Bullough.

Halbert
09-22-2003, 07:39 PM
I like the call. I hated the duck.

Ð
09-22-2003, 07:39 PM
I wouldn't go that far :lol:

Ð
09-22-2003, 10:01 PM
Hmm, getting interesting. Rumours of player second-guessing, Ralphie's pissed, etc.

Hmmmmmmmmmm...

helmetguy
09-22-2003, 10:09 PM
I'd go with LeBeau. The play sucked because of the timing of it...an opportunity to break a scoreless tie, off a turnover, in the heat of a defensive struggle. It WAS still 0-0 at that point, wasn't it? I was so pissed that...well...aw HELL! Fire da bum and get it over with!

TedMock
09-23-2003, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by Ð
Yeah, if it weren't for the design, execution and defense's stuffing of the play, it would have been pretty good.

Oh, did I mention we were intercepted on the goaline, too ?

brilliant. That's not even close to what I was getting at. I totally understand why you disagree with me but PLEASE "listen" before you make such intelligent remarks. It wasn't design that was poor, it wasn't Henry's execution of the play, it wasn't the fact that Henry threw the ball either, it was one lineman getting blown off the ball and screwing up the whole play. Under any other circumstance we at absolute minimum get a field goal come 4th down. Unless, of course, Pucillo gets blown off the ball and into the kicker. Now, it wasn't a conventional call so I can completly understand why people don't like it. I personally didn't like the timing of it but I can also understand why we ran it. We couldn't run and we couldn't pass so they tried something different. I don't necessarily agree with the call but I don't think the call sucked either.

Ð
09-23-2003, 08:50 AM
No, inside the 10 if you put the ball in the air, you risk an interception, so "at absolute minimum," that's how the play turned out.

Having Henry (who I can't recall ever having thrown a pass before) throwing into the best ball-hawking red zone D was assanine, boneheaded...I can go on with more adjectives, but I'll spare you.

Leave the passing to the professionals.

TedMock
09-23-2003, 08:58 AM
You risk an interception any time you throw the ball but inside the 10 there's the option to throw it out of the endzone. Obviously that didn't happen and it was unfortunate that he never got the pass off completely. Like I said, I didn't necessarily agree with it but I don't think it was an awful call.

Brian Griese Rulz
09-23-2003, 12:33 PM
Pete Carroll: USC Head Coach.

Dozerdog
09-23-2003, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Brian Griese Rulz
Pete Carroll: USC Head Coach.

Kill me now

EM Bills Fan 80
09-23-2003, 12:38 PM
How about George O'Leary, the Viking Defensice coordinator, I heard on his resume its says he once played for the Bills and won a super bowl with us....

Dozerdog
09-23-2003, 12:57 PM
Here's the Problem, Mock-

There are a number of elements to using trick plays- disregarding any one of them is a formula for disaster.

Timing & Momentum-

Trick Plays are used to catch the opponent off guard, and to seize/swing momentum in your favor. If you already have momentum in your favor, then the only place for the momentum is DOWN- In both Jacksonville and Miami the Bills had momentum in their favor. Miami made numerous mistakes and the Bills had them pushed back to their goal line. In both cases, it took the game momentum out of the Bills' hands and into the opponent. In both cases, there was little to gain and much more to lose. The risk /reward ratio wan't in the Bills favor.

Element of Suprise-

If you run trick plays EVERY game, the suprise will be you AREN'T running that play. Look at Levy in the comeback game. The onsides licked work because no one saw iit coming. I watch a Bills game now, almost EXPECTING them to pull a stunt! Guess what? So is the other team!

Execution-
If you are going to pull a trick play, make sure you have the right people in and they have run the play dozens of times in practice- against an aggresive defense that is EXPECTING the play. If you can make it work there, you can make it work in the game.

Henry ran into the defense and then threw it- not the way they drew it up for sure. And why Henry and not Morris, your disaster QB? I would not put it past the Bills coaches that they drew the play up and were going to use it....."What? Morris is out? ..OK..Give it to Henry..."

Or that fake punt. If you were going to do it, why tell the return team 4-5 seconds beforehand that it's a fake (getting under center and calling cadence) I'm sure that gave whomever wasn't paying attention on defense an opportunity to collec themselves. A direct snap to Morris would have been much more effective.

In the New England game, they actually got it right. The flea-flicker is a relatively low risk play, with an incompletion usually the worst that will happen. It was in Patriots territory, on a running down, and took advantage of possible poor communication between som enew starters thrust into the role vacated by Milloy. It just didn't materialize... great call though.

I think Wlliams is taking a Madden Football approach to coaching and it's costing us.

Dozerdog
09-23-2003, 12:59 PM
None of the candidates mentioned are available- no team, college or pro- is going to release their coach or assitants mid season - even if the coaches were dying for the job.

You are stuck with Denny Green or Jim Mora- guys sitting on their asses right now.

muestafa1
09-23-2003, 01:17 PM
Do you guys really think they'd fire GW mid season? I have the feeling they'll stick it out till the end of the year unless we go into an abysmal spiral...

HenryRules
09-23-2003, 01:40 PM
Having the opponents expecting a trick play is not a bad thing .... one benefit of trick plays is that you keep the opposing team honest (like in a reverse, you keep the other DE from cheating on his pursuit of the RB - making your normal sweeps (if that's how you run the reverse) more successful).

justasportsfan
09-23-2003, 01:44 PM
Bellichick. :snicker: Imagine BB asking drew and Milloy to endorse him. "tell donahoe, I am loyal to my players. They love me and I love them"

SABURZFAN
09-23-2003, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by justasportsfan
Bellichick. :snicker: Imagine BB asking drew and Milloy to endorse him. "tell donahoe, I am loyal to my players. They love me and I love them"

:lolcry:

Drewpac
09-23-2003, 02:33 PM
I wouldn't mind having Dennis Green on the sideline.

Stewie
09-23-2003, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by muestafa1

Henry only turned up field because Campbell, Williams and Pucillo got blown off the ball.

Historian
09-23-2003, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog

You are stuck with Denny Green or Jim Mora- guys sitting on their asses right now.

Either one has more qualifications that the chump who currently holds the job!

Ð
09-24-2003, 10:06 AM
I second that motion, ology

snow1989
09-24-2003, 10:12 AM
is Lou Saban still alive? :evil:

justasportsfan
09-24-2003, 10:14 AM
If anyone can get Marv to come out of retirement, it would be TD.

The_Philster
09-24-2003, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by EM Bills Fan 80
How about George O'Leary, the Viking Defensice coordinator, I heard on his resume its says he once played for the Bills and won a super bowl with us....

:lol: I don't know why I didn't catch this one yesterday.

Ð
09-25-2003, 07:20 AM
Vikeings and defense...do theey belong in the same sentence together ?

MTBillsFan
09-25-2003, 11:28 PM
We won't fire GW or Gray... but if we lose anymore in the AFCeast the pressure might be turned up a little more. Plus, as long as no more moronic trick plays are called...we'll be fine

DIHARD2
09-26-2003, 01:44 AM
I'm not going to stick up for the coach, but if that play was executed right and it worked everybody would be call him a genius. The fact that the execution was Pis poor is the reason it didn't work. I guess Williams should've been out there in uniform executing it. I think the problem is there putting too many plays together to where the offensive line is getting confused. Too many false starts on the line which means someone is concentrating more on the play that's called then when the ball is to be snapped.

I would blame it more on the special teams coach for not working with his squad and telling Williams that the team was ready to use the play. Now if Henry would have complete that pass and it was a touchdown, again a genius.

The fact that he willing to put it all out there and right now he's a lame duck, show that the man has balls. He could be conservative, but he wants to win and what you have to do is take chances sometimes to win. The fact that he is a head coach in the NFL and we are not, shows that he is better qualified than we are. I'm sure if we don't go to the playoffs he won't have a job. So all of you who know so much need to send your resume to Donahoe

the address is "One Bills Drive" Orchard Park, New York.

GOOooooo!!!...BUFFALOOOOooooo!!!!!.....

Halbert
09-26-2003, 10:38 AM
Liked the call, hated the duck.

Ð
09-28-2003, 08:37 PM
Quack quack quack

Ð
10-13-2003, 06:17 AM
duck duck goose ?

In this game, kids sit down in a circle facing each other. One person is "it" and walks around the circle. As they walk around, they tap people's heads and say whether they are a "duck" or a "goose". Once someone is the "goose" they get up and try to chase "it" around the circle. The goal is to tap that person before they are able sit down in the "goose's" spot. If the goose is not able to do this, they become "it" for the next round and play continues. If they do tap the "it" person, the person tagged has to sit in the center of the circle. Then the goose become it for the next round. The person in the middle can't leave until another person is tagged and they are replaced.

WNYnut
10-13-2003, 06:36 AM
I'd like to think he'd be fired, but realistically, I think they're going to stick with him for the rest of the season. We're going down the same road as we did with Rob Johnson, as I am myself. I was always willing to give the guy the benefit of the doubt, and give him another chance, but with GW my patience are growing very thin. I just about lost it yesterday when they were up 3-0 and threw the ball on 3rd and 1, and then proceeded to go for it on fourth down. I just don't know how much more bad coaching I can take!!

Ð
10-13-2003, 06:44 AM
Home games are going to be ugly from now on.

You thought the booing for RJ was bad, just wait & see.