PDA

View Full Version : The HB pass

Judge
09-22-2003, 12:56 PM
Sunday Night Football before a national TV audience

Playing ON THE ROAD before an arch rival

In the middle of a 0-0 defensive WAR

Second down deep in the red zone afeter a potential game-changing turnover

The obvious play is a halfback option, right? Ah, NO! That was the single STUPIDEST call that I've ever seen watching a football game. I can't think of anything worse. a 3-0 lead in that type of game is nothing to complain about considering the offense was clearly not doing anything, but considering how well the D was playing.

I can't even begin to guess the thought process there. Stupid. Idiotic. And even if KG made the call, where's GW to override it? He's the head coach.

This coaching staff is contiuning its unfortunate tradition of making key mistakes at inopportune times.

Ð
09-22-2003, 12:57 PM
Ding ding ding! We have a winner here, Judge! :up:

L.A. Playa
09-22-2003, 12:59 PM
if and i mean a big IF he completes it for a td and we win arent we talking about what a great play it was today ?????

lordofgun
09-22-2003, 01:00 PM
Excellent post, your honor. :up:

ArcticWildMan
09-22-2003, 01:02 PM
Last year everybody complained that we were too predictable. This year the staff is trying to keep opposing teams guessing with plays like this and still nobody is happy.

Unreal. :shakeno:

Judge
09-22-2003, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by pmacla
if and i mean a big IF he completes it for a td and we win arent we talking about what a great play it was today ?????

Not me- I hate that call no matter what the result. I started screaming at the TV set before the play blew up, as Travis started setting up to throw the ball.

I don't care if the play resulted in positive yards or a TD- it was TOTALLY inappropriate and called at THE WORST possible situation and time. Just plain stupid- it put the Bills in a position to fail instead of succeed.

Ð
09-22-2003, 01:03 PM
What's unreal is not scoring a single frickin' point on offense.
Someone's gotta be accountable for that.

Judge
09-22-2003, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by ArcticWildMan
Last year everybody complained that we were too predictable. This year the staff is trying to keep opposing teams guessing with plays like this and still nobody is happy.

There's being unpredictable and then there's total stupidity. You must agree with me on that, right? Do you want to see gadget and trick plays at the expense of good sound football strategy? I don't.

You can be unpredictable in the context of sound football strategy, in my opinion.

lordofgun
09-22-2003, 01:06 PM
One thing's for sure...

GW has terrible timing.

ArcticWildMan
09-22-2003, 01:07 PM
The only reason the play failed is because Travis underthrew it.

LtBillsFan66
09-22-2003, 01:08 PM

That shouldn't have been called in that situation.

Talk about trick plays... The flea-flicker against the Pats was a GREAT call! But not this one. I agree. It was one of the worst calls so far.

lordofgun
09-22-2003, 01:10 PM

But the chances of Travis throwing a perfect pass are not very good. It was too big a risk for that situation.

TedMock
09-22-2003, 01:11 PM
Pucillo got pushed back into Henry on the play causing his pass to go straight up in the air. If that doesn't happen it's most likely a TD or, at worst, incomplete out of the endzone. Defense was playing well and if it didn't work we could still get 3 points. I found nothing wrong with the call at all. I blame Pucillo for that breakdown. It wasn't 4th down and we weren't moving the ball on the ground at all.

imbondz
09-22-2003, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Judge
Sunday Night Football before a national TV audience

Playing ON THE ROAD before an arch rival

In the middle of a 0-0 defensive WAR

Second down deep in the red zone afeter a potential game-changing turnover

The obvious play is a halfback option, right? Ah, NO! That was the single STUPIDEST call that I've ever seen watching a football game. I can't think of anything worse. a 3-0 lead in that type of game is nothing to complain about considering the offense was clearly not doing anything, but considering how well the D was playing.

I can't even begin to guess the thought process there. Stupid. Idiotic. And even if KG made the call, where's GW to override it? He's the head coach.

This coaching staff is contiuning its unfortunate tradition of making key mistakes at inopportune times.

:bf1:

there's no way that play makes sense. If anything, let Morris throw it. But even that is ridiculous.

LtBillsFan66
09-22-2003, 01:18 PM

The play wouldn't have failed if they didn't call it. :D

Judge
09-22-2003, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by lordofgun

But the chances of Travis throwing a perfect pass are not very good. It was too big a risk for that situation.

EXACTLY. And that's why is playcall was idiotic. It's indefensible, AWM. I suggest you cut your losses on this argument and argue another point!

stuckincincy
09-22-2003, 02:00 PM
The Rules of the HB Option.

1. Have a lead in the score. Preferrably with a foe that has been stung with your running game beforehand.
2. Pitch wide to insure defensive separation for your poor, non-QB passer who wears the heavy-duty constricting shoulder pads.
3. Instruct the designated receiver to get close to the sideline or to the EZ corners so that when aformentioned poor passer makes the likely errant toss, the ball will hopefully sail out of bounds.
4. Toss it with a high arc because a flat pass is an easy pick for the 4 or 5 defensive players who successfully diagnose this so so s-l-o-w developing play
4. Have your 6th Martini because you must have had 5 of 'em before to consider such a play at that point in this game in the 1st place.

snow1989
09-22-2003, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by lordofgun

There in lies the rub...at least for me...that kind of call (IMHO) is reserved for between the 30's playcalling...not inside the 10 during a defensive war...personally I think it showed a lack of confidence in the poor running game we have