PDA

View Full Version : No wonder Miami fades every December...

ArcticWildMan
09-22-2003, 01:33 PM
42 carries by Ricky Williams? :eek: It may have won them last night's game, but that many carries takes a toll over a season.

No wonder they fade each year. They wear their star player out by midseason. Ricky took some brutal hits last night and he must be incredibly sore today.

ultimatefinfan
09-22-2003, 01:43 PM
he has two weeks to heal....good time for a bye week, last year's fade was a variety of factors, from bum QB Ray Lucas to winning tough games on the road in December...They never gave ricky the ball that much last year....

dolfan25
09-22-2003, 01:49 PM
Completely moronic post. What does Ricky's 42 carries have to do with the Dolphins previous choke jobs? Nothing. Did he look worn out at the end of last year when he rushed for something like 1100 yards in the last 7 games? No. The defense was who looked worn out.

Rationalize it all you want. The Fins won and the Bills lost. Get over it. Your theory is just complete garbage. The last time someone ran the ball 42 times was Terrell Davis in '97, was he worn out at the end of the season when he ran for something like 300 yds. in the post season.

You're grasping at straws.

Disgustipatex
09-22-2003, 01:49 PM
He's done this kind of thing before. He got the ball 37 times in Miami vs. New England last year with the D keying in on him the same way. This isnt normally how Ricky runs. I doubt he would have touched the ball this much if not for that we have a bye week.

Most of the time when Ricky has big games, he's not taking any hits of consequence. He's running past people and getting taken down from behind. This is the exception, not the rule.

Disgustipatex
09-22-2003, 01:50 PM
Btw, for reference...Ricky got better as he got more carries last season. The first half of the year he was like 4.3 ypc, the second half like 5.3.

justasportsfan
09-22-2003, 01:52 PM
RW ran for over 220 yds against us last December.

ArcticWildMan
09-22-2003, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by dolfan25
Completely moronic post. What does Ricky's 42 carries have to do with the Dolphins previous choke jobs? Nothing. Did he look worn out at the end of last year when he rushed for something like 1100 yards in the last 7 games? No. The defense was who looked worn out.

Rationalize it all you want. The Fins won and the Bills lost. Get over it. Your theory is just complete garbage. The last time someone ran the ball 42 times was Terrell Davis in '97, was he worn out at the end of the season when he ran for something like 300 yds. in the post season.

You're grasping at straws.

Run him 42 times a game for the rest of the season Einstein, and see how long he lasts. No back can keep up that performance and not get worn down.

NoRing4U
09-22-2003, 01:54 PM
*************EDIT BY MODERATORS***********

NoRing4U
09-22-2003, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by ArcticWildMan

Run him 42 times a game for the rest of the season Einstein, and see how long he lasts. No back can keep up that performance and not get worn down.

Um, he usually carries it about 25-30 times a game. Do you really think we would run him 40+ times a game? My god..you're a moron.

Tatonka
09-22-2003, 01:57 PM
2 weeks in a row, over 35 carries..

he wont make it through the season.. mark it down.

justasportsfan
09-22-2003, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by NoRing4U

Um, he usually carries it about 25-30 times a game. Do you really think we would run him 40+ times a game? My god..you're a moron.

Chill. Noring. Attack the post and not the poster.

Tatonka
09-22-2003, 01:58 PM
and when you dont run him that much, you lose..

*see Houston game for example.

:snicker:

ArcticWildMan
09-22-2003, 02:00 PM
LOL!!! I guess maybe I should ask you for permission to start threads that meet you approval, now?

Get a life and grab a clue my man.

BTW...I suggest you read the TOS if you want to continue posting here. Either conduct yourself in a civil manner or leave.

Dozerdog
09-22-2003, 02:00 PM

Noring4U- It will be NoPost4U if there will be any more personal attacks.

dolfan25
09-22-2003, 02:11 PM
Ok then genius look at Ricky's stats last year in the first half of the season and the second half of the season. Tell me if he was worn out or not. Also just because he carried 42 times last night doesn't mean he will do it for every game the rest of the season.

ArcticWildMan
09-22-2003, 02:16 PM
Did you see some of the hits he took last night? He was lucky he wasn't injured. He got hammered! That kind of punishment takes a toll whether you want to admit it or not.

Be thankful it was in warm Miami. If he takes hits like that in our house in cold, windy December, you might see him being carted off the field.

Ð
09-22-2003, 02:17 PM
He'll need to. Jay's that bad...

dolfan25
09-22-2003, 02:21 PM
So now he's lucky that he didn't get injured. Yeah right. Takeo's the one who's lucky. Ricky nearly put him out of the game. He looked like he was in the land of Oz after he met Ricky a few times.

As good as Ray Lewis. Bull ****

The Spaz
09-22-2003, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by dolfan25
So now he's lucky that he didn't get injured. Yeah right. Takeo's the one who's lucky. Ricky nearly put him out of the game. He looked like he was in the land of Oz after he met Ricky a few times.

As good as Ray Lewis. Bull ****

WTF are you talking about? Takeo was only out of the game when he got poked in the eye. I didn't see once where he was dazed or confused.

ArcticWildMan
09-22-2003, 02:23 PM
LMAO!!!! Now who's reaching!! Ricky almost put TKO out.....bwahahaha!!! :lol:

Miami Man
09-22-2003, 02:36 PM
Hi Dozer! :church:

I think the whole point that AWM was trying to make, (and it's almost been posted to death), is that getting that many carries week in and week out would be horrible for us. Ricky would be dead before we even started the playoffs. ;)

Is he going to carry that much? No, of course not.

But if Jay "Noodle Arm" Fiedler doesn't sharpen up his passing skills, RW may end up being over-used. Not a good idea.

MM

ArcticWildMan
09-22-2003, 02:39 PM
MM :hi5: AWM

MDFINFAN
09-22-2003, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Ð
He'll need to. Jay's that bad...

But better than Drew last night..:ugly:

ArcticWildMan
09-22-2003, 02:40 PM
Can't argue that point :sadwalk:

DallasDolfan
09-22-2003, 02:49 PM
Last year was his for December in Miami!!

???????????

NoRing4U
09-22-2003, 02:59 PM
Did you see some of the hits he took last night? He was lucky he wasn't injured. He got hammered! That kind of punishment takes a toll whether you want to admit it or not.

Be thankful it was in warm Miami. If he takes hits like that in our house in cold, windy December, you might see him being carted off the field.

Ricky gives hits ;)

Ð
09-22-2003, 03:03 PM
I went to college with a Ricky Giveshots.

The Spaz
09-22-2003, 03:05 PM

Ricky gives hits ;)

i don't want to ever here a Dolphin Fan say that our corners can't tackle ricky. Antoine Winfield all 5-9 180lbs. of him leveled him several times causing him to fumble once.:shelby:

Disgustipatex
09-22-2003, 03:07 PM
Please, Ricky was lucky not to be injured? You guys are really reaching with that one. If it makes you feel better to think your run D was doing the battering, fine. But your D didnt put anything close to special on Ricky. Amazingly, he didnt even get tired that game. He'll take himself out when he wants a breather. He did it in the Jets game, but he didnt even break a sweat last night.

The reality is, Ricky was the one who was getting stronger and making bigger plays on the game went on, and the Bills defense were the ones who looked like they wanted to go home. You could see it, especially if you were at the game. Your D was tired as all hell.

Disgustipatex
09-22-2003, 03:08 PM
Leveled him? You have a very, very loose definition of leveled. Ricky tried to jump over him, and he got him by the legs. Your coach could make that kind of hit.

The Spaz
09-22-2003, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by Disgustipatex
Leveled him? You have a very, very loose definition of leveled. Ricky tried to jump over him, and he got him by the legs. Your coach could make that kind of hit.

No the other one where he and ricky were running full speed and Antoine went low cutting Williams and causing the ball to go flying out, that one. You Dolphin fans have selective memory.:finfan: :drinker:

Disgustipatex
09-22-2003, 03:11 PM
So? Winfield made a good play? What about it? You should be proud he made a good decision in trying to strip the ball instead of tackling him.

The Spaz
09-22-2003, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by Disgustipatex
So? Winfield made a good play? What about it? You should be proud he made a good decision in trying to strip the ball instead of tackling him.

I don't think he tried to strip the ball he hit Ricky hard enough to jar the ball loose.:horse:

Gonk
09-22-2003, 03:18 PM
Oh please. You guys think Ricky was tired yesterday? If the game went on any longer, Ricky would've kept on running. He didn't have his arms on his hips (like most of the Bills defense did), didn't slow up his running at any point in the game, and he didn't even sit down when he was on the sidelines after his TD.

Ricky leveled Spikes and Fletcher god knows how many times last night. Spikes had to be taken off the field crying hahahha. What happened to all Spikes big talk before the game "I'M GOING TO KILL RICKY BLAH BLAH BLAH".

What happened to all the big talk that Henry is sooo much better than Ricky? Travis got taken to the lockeroom before the first half LOL. Can't run with the big boys, huh?

Ricky made Spikes his little *****.

Just like Surtain made Moulds his *****.

The Spaz
09-22-2003, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Gonk
Oh please. You guys think Ricky was tired yesterday? If the game went on any longer, Ricky would've kept on running. He didn't have his arms on his hips (like most of the Bills defense did), didn't slow up his running at any point in the game, and he didn't even sit down when he was on the sidelines after his TD.

Ricky leveled Spikes and Fletcher god knows how many times last night. Spikes had to be taken off the field crying hahahha. What happened to all Spikes big talk before the game "I'M GOING TO KILL RICKY BLAH BLAH BLAH".

What happened to all the big talk that Henry is sooo much better than Ricky? Travis got taken to the lockeroom before the first half LOL. Can't run with the big boys, huh?

Spikes got poked in the eye by his own player if you were paying any attention you would have known this!:doh:

justasportsfan
09-22-2003, 03:33 PM
Those finfans who were here proir to the game, my hats off to you guys. All those who suddenly show up after they won, where were you before the fight or when the fight was going on? Where were you hiding? Where'd ya'll come from all of a sudden?

MDFINFAN
09-22-2003, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by justasportsfan
Those finfans who were here proir to the game, my hats off to you guys. All those who suddenly show up after they won, where were you before the fight or when the fight was going on? Where were you hiding? Where'd ya'll come from all of a sudden?

Justa, I know you will call me a diplomat....:pop:

But their were a lot of bills fans who only showed up at our door the week of the game...and it's only the homer type people who are doing it both ways..you knew that when you posted this..

You're still my Man...Just don't blow your :horn: so loudly.

helmetguy
09-23-2003, 10:48 PM
There's no question that Ricky is a specimen. I think the ORIGINAL point of this thread was that, by going to the well too many times with the premier playmakers early in the season, Miami has an annual "December Swoon." This has been a trend since the first year of Jimmy "Make sure you keep one camera on me at all times" Johnson, and has continued under Wanny. Wanny learned well from his old mentor.

SABURZFAN
09-24-2003, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by Miami Man
Hi Dozer! :church:

I think the whole point that AWM was trying to make, (and it's almost been posted to death), is that getting that many carries week in and week out would be horrible for us. Ricky would be dead before we even started the playoffs. ;)

Is he going to carry that much? No, of course not.

But if Jay "Noodle Arm" Fiedler doesn't sharpen up his passing skills, RW may end up being over-used. Not a good idea.

MM

great post MM.:up:

that's not to knock ricky or anything but no RB can withstand that that many carries and maintain their health.look at what happened to earl campbell when bum phillips ran him into early retirement.wanny's a dumb enough coach to do that to RW.

SABURZFAN
09-24-2003, 01:41 AM

Ricky gives hits ;)

that may be so but he takes more than he gives.

SABURZFAN
09-24-2003, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by Gonk

:chuckle:

you make up all kinds of excuses when you lose and become overexaggerating in your wins.

what game were you watching?

SABURZFAN
09-24-2003, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by The Spaz

Spikes got poked in the eye by his own player if you were paying any attention you would have known this!:doh:

:lol:

dolfan25
09-24-2003, 03:04 AM
Originally posted by helmetguy
There's no question that Ricky is a specimen. I think the ORIGINAL point of this thread was that, by going to the well too many times with the premier playmakers early in the season, Miami has an annual "December Swoon." This has been a trend since the first year of Jimmy "Make sure you keep one camera on me at all times" Johnson, and has continued under Wanny. Wanny learned well from his old mentor.

Who was the playmaker that the Fins wore out before Ricky? The only guy that was worn out was Lamar Smith after 40 carries in a playoff game against the Colts. But that was the playoffs not September. There was no premier running back to wear out before Ricky. You can wear out a QB by making him throw too much? Because Qb was the only playmaker we had before Ricky. Gannon should've been worn out by week 10 last year then.

The fact is that it's a stupid argument to make in the first place. Unlikely that he will carry the ball 42 times a game the rest of the season. Speculating that the Fins December slides have anything to do with how many times the Fins give Ricky the ball now is both stupid and premature as he's only been with the team a year and he looked pretty good in December last year, while the rest of the team did not.

Again just a stupid argument at this time.

And oh yeah, Jimmy used Emmitt a whole lot and he didn't wear out too fast plus the Boys got 3 Bowls out of it, and who did he wear out when he took over Miami, Karim Abdul Jabaar, Lawrence Phillips, Cecil Collins or JJ Johnson. The answer is no one because none of them were good enough to wear out which shows once again how stupid the original post was.

StanMarino13
09-24-2003, 08:09 AM
Ricky will be fine, ur corners did make some really nice tackles on Ricky, ur D did get worn down(Ricky's yards per qtr is proof of that), it was a good game, our D played great, ur D played great. Hey Tatonka havent seen u at "finhell" since the game, I wonder why???

PhinPhan1227
09-24-2003, 08:09 AM
42 carries by Ricky Williams? :eek: It may have won them last night's game, but that many carries takes a toll over a season.

No wonder they fade each year. They wear their star player out by midseason. Ricky took some brutal hits last night and he must be incredibly sore today.

That's a rather silly statement to make considering that Ricky is only going in to his 2nd year. Prior to Ricky we didn't have a star RB to wear out...so exactly who did we over-use? Were we making MArino wear his arm out by passing too much? The Phins have been slumping in December through 3 coaches now. Maybe you should think up a theory that makes sense?

PhinPhan1227
09-24-2003, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by Tatonka
and when you dont run him that much, you lose..

*see Houston game for example.

:snicker:

Tonka...I don't want to stretch your math skills to the limit...but...you ARE aware that there's a bit of a range between 42 carries and 17 carries right?

PhinPhan1227
09-24-2003, 08:18 AM

But that's a fallacious argument. Exactly what players have we had to over-use? Prior to Jimmy it was all Marino...who rarely if ever got sacked...so how was he used up? During Jimmy's era it was all defense...again...how do you over use a D? Of course we COULD burn out Ricky by over-using him...but it's a stupid argument to use for our trend when we've never had a Ricky TO over-use.

justasportsfan
09-24-2003, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by MDFINFAN

Justa, I know you will call me a diplomat....:pop:

But their were a lot of bills fans who only showed up at our door the week of the game...and it's only the homer type people who are doing it both ways..you knew that when you posted this..

You're still my Man...Just don't blow your :horn: so loudly.

And you're still my girl :snicker:

It's kinda like the french. They don't show up for the war against Iraq . After all is said and done, they start coming out and want to help rebuild Iraq. :shakeno:

NoRing4U
09-24-2003, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by SABURZFAN

great post MM.:up:

that's not to knock ricky or anything but no RB can withstand that that many carries and maintain their health.look at what happened to earl campbell when bum phillips ran him into early retirement.wanny's a dumb enough coach to do that to RW.

Cause we all know ONE game with 40+ carries is going to ruin his career. . . . . . . . . .

dolfan25
09-24-2003, 02:49 PM
"Fallacious" Wow

Stewie
09-24-2003, 03:11 PM

That about sums up this thread...

S'all right. We were a hell of a lot closer today than you guys were last year and our offense did zip. Nada.

Reuben ain't sweatin it. He knows it ain't how you start .. It's how you finish.

See you in December!!!!!!! Leave some beer and cookies for Santa!

:fish:

SABURZFAN
09-24-2003, 04:38 PM

Cause we all know ONE game with 40+ carries is going to ruin his career. . . . . . . . . .

another overexaggerating statement.you guys are full of them this week,aren't you?

jaja54
09-24-2003, 04:51 PM
I think that Wandstedt ran Ricky 42 times because he felt that this was a "MUST HAVE" game. He took enough heat last year for NOT running Ricky in the last NE game when he had to.

Personaly, the people with me in the stands were actually wondering why Travis Minor was never put into the game and give Ricky a spell or two.

I don't see this coaching staf running Ricky 40+ times a game, at least not until the end of the season.

LMB
09-24-2003, 04:56 PM

Crack House

dolfan
09-24-2003, 05:04 PM
Those finfans who were here proir to the game, my hats off to you guys. All those who suddenly show up after they won, where were you before the fight or when the fight was going on? Where were you hiding? Where'd ya'll come from all of a sudden? THE SAME AS YOU BILLS FANS , IN FINHEAVEN BEFORE THE GAME THERE WHERE MORE BILLS FANS THAN FIN FANS AFTER THE GAME I THINK I SAW TWO WHERE DID YOU GUYS GO ... I'LL TELL YOU YOU GUYS ALL CAME BACK HERE TO CRY LIKE THE LOSERS THAT YOU AND YOUR TEAM ARE !!!:confused:

helmetguy
09-24-2003, 10:00 PM
So, how DO you guys explain the "December Swoon?" Boredom? Or, more likely, a collective fatigue? That's the point I was making. Oh, I forgot. You're in South Florida. Sorry, I don't speak "Cuban Refugee."

Tatonka
09-24-2003, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by StanMarino13
Hey Tatonka havent seen u at "finhell" since the game, I wonder why???
why would i need to visit FH? all the bandwagoners are here.. along with the few good posters that have been around before and after, like yourself.

Originally posted by PhinPhan1227
Tonka...I don't want to stretch your math skills to the limit...but...you ARE aware that there's a bit of a range between 42 carries and 17 carries right?

Phinphan, i am sure you probably failed the comprehension portion of your SATs and the like, but i will restate the obvious.. my point was that 42 carries = a win and 17 = a loss.. ricky is all you have.. so if you only let him run the ball 17 times, you will lose.. and i went ahead and pointed out the houston game, where he only ran the ball 17 times and the fish folded to an expansion team when they were a 14 point favorite at home...

so you see.. and i know it is tough for you to get this.. but.. yes.. 17 is not the same as 42.. funny how it is a double edged sword though.. if you dont run ricky about 30-35 times, you will lose the game.. and if you do run him that much.. he will be hurt before december gets here..

but i am sure that is fine with fish fans (him being hurt by december) because it will give you guys another good excuse to explain why you fold in cruch time.

PhinPhan1227
09-25-2003, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by Tatonka

why would i need to visit FH? all the bandwagoners are here.. along with the few good posters that have been around before and after, like yourself.

Phinphan, i am sure you probably failed the comprehension portion of your SATs and the like, but i will restate the obvious.. my point was that 42 carries = a win and 17 = a loss.. ricky is all you have.. so if you only let him run the ball 17 times, you will lose.. and i went ahead and pointed out the houston game, where he only ran the ball 17 times and the fish folded to an expansion team when they were a 14 point favorite at home...

so you see.. and i know it is tough for you to get this.. but.. yes.. 17 is not the same as 42.. funny how it is a double edged sword though.. if you dont run ricky about 30-35 times, you will lose the game.. and if you do run him that much.. he will be hurt before december gets here..

but i am sure that is fine with fish fans (him being hurt by december) because it will give you guys another good excuse to explain why you fold in cruch time.

That's amazing Tonka. Somehow the stat that Ricky also wins games when he touches the ball about 25 times never enters your argument. Those pesky facts are such a chore aren't they? The bottom line Tonka is that Ricky will run a LOT when he has to. And when he HAS to is when he's facing the really tough D's. The Bills have emerged as one of the better D's in the NFL. Tell me, how often is Ricky going to face a D as good or better than Buffalo's? MAYBE 3 more times this season? The rest of the time he's facing lesser D's, so he can carry the ball his normal 25 or so times. Bottom line, there's a whole RANGE of carries in between 17 and 42...and that range still includes winnable games for Ricky and the Phins. Heck, we won 9 games last season without Ricky having to carry the ball 42 times...but I guess that's just one more fact that you'll ignore.

PhinPhan1227
09-25-2003, 07:50 AM
So, how DO you guys explain the "December Swoon?" Boredom? Or, more likely, a collective fatigue? That's the point I was making. Oh, I forgot. You're in South Florida. Sorry, I don't speak "Cuban Refugee."

Personally, I'd explain it as the team getting worn down by playing too many day games in September/October at home. It's an advantage for us when we play the games, but the physical toll on the players shows in December in my opinion. Now, just out of curiosity, why do you feel the need to resort to racist comments?

R. Rich
09-25-2003, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by dolfan
THE SAME AS YOU BILLS FANS , IN FINHEAVEN BEFORE THE GAME THERE WHERE MORE BILLS FANS THAN FIN FANS AFTER THE GAME I THINK I SAW TWO WHERE DID YOU GUYS GO ... I'LL TELL YOU YOU GUYS ALL CAME BACK HERE TO CRY LIKE THE LOSERS THAT YOU AND YOUR TEAM ARE !!!:confused:

That's not entirely true. I was over on Finheaven before the game (I just started posting there during the preseason) and I was there afterward to commend the Dolphins on a job well done. There were plenty of trash talkers there too, unfortunately (because they make us all look like jerks), but not everyone is in that group.

NoRing4U
09-25-2003, 12:01 PM
The reason you probably got so much **** thrown at you is cause we had Bill fans over there spouting off bull**** before the game was even played, funny enough you can't find them anymore. Ricky touchin the ball 25-35 times a game. How much more is that then any other RB out there? The same..if not a FEW carries? Who said he gets hit on this extra carries? Maybe he takes a toss, runs 10 yards, and skips outta bounds. Many things play into all this and it's really a stupid arguement. Everyone acts like we are going to run Ricky 40+ every game now. Sad part is one man single handedly destroyed your D, oh, once again ;).

PS - Spikes scares me ;\. Saw him mic'd up.

rsmithgi
09-25-2003, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by paulB

Reuben ain't sweatin it. He knows it ain't how you start .. It's how you finish.

How the hell would Reuben know that from watching other teams on television?

rsmithgi
09-25-2003, 12:48 PM
So, how DO you guys explain the "December Swoon?

Do you even know the Dolphin's record in December over the last 3 years?

8 - 7

How about the Bill's record in December?

6 - 9

If your going to criticize a team, at least get your facts straight. The Dolphin's problem is winning on the road, not winning in December (5 of the 7 loses in December were on the road). They typically play more games on the road in the second half of the season. The schedule makers also try to matchup potential playoff teams and division rivals at the end of the year to make it more exciting. The 7 loses were against:

In 2002 (Buff, Minn, NE)
In 2001 (SF, NE)
In 2000 (TB, Indy)

Most of the loses were against good teams or teams playing well (with Buffalo as the notable exception).

The only reason that the Bill's Dec record is not talked about is because they are usually already out of it by then.

helmetguy
09-25-2003, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by PhinPhan1227
Personally, I'd explain it as the team getting worn down by playing too many day games in September/October at home. It's an advantage for us when we play the games, but the physical toll on the players shows in December in my opinion. Now, just out of curiosity, why do you feel the need to resort to racist comments?

Finally! A direct answer to a direct question! Pardon the etnic reference, but I was beginning to wonder if we were speaking two different languages. I apologize if the reference was offensive to you. I'm embarrassed that I stooped to the type of treatment I received over at FinHell. For that, I apologize as well.

Now, back to the discussion. Your explanation of playing in the daytime heat of South Florida in September/October is certainlt worth merit. It's a better answer than most that have been posted here. It sounds like, what begins as a distinct homefield advantage early on becomes a bane down the stretch.

I've had other Fish fans complain about the team having to play in Buffalo late in the season, where the weather can also be a considerable factor. I call it levelling the playing feild. Perhaps if Miami were to play MORE games in the outdoor northern cold later in the year. There wouldn't be a noticeable swoon down the stretch. That said, you DID, in fact, verify what I had been saying all along. See you in December!

PhinPhan1227
09-25-2003, 01:25 PM

Finally! A direct answer to a direct question! Pardon the etnic reference, but I was beginning to wonder if we were speaking two different languages. I apologize if the reference was offensive to you. I'm embarrassed that I stooped to the type of treatment I received over at FinHell. For that, I apologize as well.

Now, back to the discussion. Your explanation of playing in the daytime heat of South Florida in September/October is certainlt worth merit. It's a better answer than most that have been posted here. It sounds like, what begins as a distinct homefield advantage early on becomes a bane down the stretch.

I've had other Fish fans complain about the team having to play in Buffalo late in the season, where the weather can also be a considerable factor. I call it levelling the playing feild. Perhaps if Miami were to play MORE games in the outdoor northern cold later in the year. There wouldn't be a noticeable swoon down the stretch. That said, you DID, in fact, verify what I had been saying all along. See you in December!

Hey, we play better in September than we do in December. Anybody who doubts that statement is ignoring facts. That being said, it's not like the Bills have been great in December either. As for the heat vs the cold, it's just another reason for me to hate Baseball. Because of the damned Marlins, we can't schedule more games HERE in December, and THERE in September. I don't think we NEED the heat advantage in September, and I think that constantly playing and training in it makes it more difficult for the players to fully recover over time. As for the Cuban comment, I don't really take offense...I just don't understand the need to go there. PEace, and no harm done.

helmetguy
09-25-2003, 01:35 PM
Call it "heat" of the moment. I appreciate the explanation more than you know. At least you didn't offer a lame excuse, as most of the others have.

jaja54
09-25-2003, 02:48 PM
There is also the theory that Jimmy and Dave had too many "hard practices" during training camp and thus the defense was worn out by late December.

redeye5
09-25-2003, 04:11 PM
An elementary teacher starts a new job at a school in San Diego and tries to
>make a good impression on her first day, explains to her class that she's a
>Chargers fan. She asks the class to raise their hands if they too are
>Charger fans. Everyone in the class raises their hand except one little
>girl.
>
>The teacher looks a little surprised and says: "Mary, why didn't you raise
>your hand?"
>"Because I'm not a Chargers fan," she replied.
>The teacher asked "Well, if you're not a Chargers fan, then who do you
>support?"
>"I'm a Bills fan, and proud of it," Mary replied.
>
>The teacher, now becoming interested in the lone dissenter asks, "Mary, why
>are you a Bills fan?"
>"Because my Mom and Dad are from Buffalo and my Mom is a Bills fan and my
>Dad is a Bills fan, so I'm a Bills fan too!"
>
>"Well," said the teacher, in an obviously annoyed tone, "that's not
>necessarily a reason for you to be a Bills fan. You don't have to be just
>like your parents all of the time. What if your Mom was a prostitute and
>your dad was a pimp, drug addict and a car thief, what would you be then?"
>
>Mary said, "I'd be a Dolphins fan."

The_Philster
09-25-2003, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by R. Rich
That's not entirely true. I was over on Finheaven before the game (I just started posting there during the preseason) and I was there afterward to commend the Dolphins on a job well done. There were plenty of trash talkers there too, unfortunately (because they make us all look like jerks), but not everyone is in that group.
Well said. :up: I'll admit I tried to talk a little smack but I guess I just ain't in Churchie's league in that area. Wharfie even told me the most smack I posted was using the :fish: smilie in the :shout: box :chuckle:

R. Rich
09-25-2003, 07:25 PM
Don't get me wrong, I'm not someone who feels there's no place at all for trash talking (ask anyone who played against me in football or basketball), just that it's nice to be able to come to the board and discuss football-related topics without all that crap. I don't mind a 'smack forum', actually I think that's cool. It just bothers me when it trickles over to other boards and starts messing up threads that are meant for more serious issues. As I tell people Phil, I don't usually trash talk; that doesen't mean that I can't trash talk.

helmetguy
09-25-2003, 08:20 PM
I'm with you, Rich. I can smack with the best of 'em (without smilies, I might add...PHIL!). Having serious football discussion answered by pure homer smack gets me pissed as quick as anything. That's what happened to me over at FinHell. I'd make a point, get smack in return, return with some smack...then I got banned. I'm glad we have thicker skins over here.