PDA

View Full Version : Our Offensive Philosphy sucks...

baalworship
09-22-2003, 06:07 PM
I bought into the balance talk before the year started. But when I saw how good our defense can be I have a new hope. Smash-Mouth football.

Yes, a team that ALWAYS lines up and pounds the ball on 3rd and 1. A team that uses its fullback and blocking tight ends. An offense that works WITH the defense to win.

I know there is another thread that talks about WYS and his Bledsoe assessment. But WYS was right that we could win 12-13 games this year with our defense and an offense that is smart and efficient. It will get colder soon and the winds will start whipping through the Ralph. It is time for these coaches to get a clue.

Why did Donahoe draft Mike Williams? So he could drop back and play paddycake with Ogun and the like?! Hmmm, maybe we should have our 370 LB prize ATTACKING the opposition! It's time we use the personnel we ALREADY have to maximum advantage. In order to run the ball not only do we need a healthy running back (I think Henry was already injured BEFORE this game) but a huge change in attitude and coaching. Hopefully this spat between Williams and the offensive players will create conversation this week behind closed doors that will stimulate change. I hope that the O-linemen BEG to run the ball next week with Sam Gash and Mark Campbell...

snow1989
09-22-2003, 06:13 PM
It like beating a :deadhorse: but so true....you have to have a running game in this league to win. We may never have a terrifying running game this year, but the truth is we just need one thats respected at some point..we just better find the answers soon

Miami_Vice
09-22-2003, 06:30 PM
But you guys have Travis Henry. Many of you were saying he would run for more yards than Ricky?!?!?!?! What went wrong LOL?

shelby
09-22-2003, 06:57 PM
Travis still has plenty of time to establish himself. i, for one, am not ready to call him a wash in week 3.

baalworship
09-22-2003, 07:29 PM
Miami Vice, dude, read the posts before you chime in. I know you must be SO excited that the Dolphins finally won a home game in September, but I JUST SPELLED OUT my opinion on why Travis can't run. It's a combination of coaches infatuated with the passing game and Travis's own internal head problems. There is another great thread started by Ingtar that explains our problems with the running game.

BTW, if the Bills stayed within 3 points with no running game and Bledsoe held for under 100 yards, what will you have to do to get a win at the Ralph in December?!

If you want a congrats I already said congrats on Finheaven last night.

STAMPY
09-22-2003, 07:41 PM
i'll eat crow on this one... i said travis would have more yards per carry but not total yards... i did call it... that ricky would have 40 carries

Tatonka
09-22-2003, 08:03 PM
baal, what riff between williams and the offense are you talking about?

KG calls the plays.

didnt know if you were talking about a specific incident.

baalworship
09-22-2003, 09:08 PM
Gregg Williams called out the players by saying they got out-physicaled or something along those lines and several players were amazed that he said that.

I heard Jerry Sullivan talking about it this afternoon on my commute home from the city as well. Sullivan believes that the players don't agree with Williams on his assessment and were unhappy with the Miami gameplan. Sam Gash feels we didn't even bother focusing on the runs in the gameplan...

Tatonka
09-22-2003, 09:16 PM
players revolting against the coach may be a bad thing.

baalworship
09-22-2003, 09:36 PM
Agreed. But when the ship is heading off course maybe the players SHOULD mutiny. I would rather see them figure out what's wrong, get on the same page EARLY then have these problems resurface after an early playoff exit. Yes, this is a playoff team.