PDA

View Full Version : Ralph is pissed

The_Philster
09-22-2003, 06:51 PM
On Monday Night Countdown, Mortenson was just reporting that Ralph is steamed about both the halfback option play and the fake punt from last week. Maybe we'll see an end to the trick plays that don't work.

SABURZFAN
09-22-2003, 06:56 PM
that old fart should have had Gee Dubya fired after the punt on 4th and 2 at new englands 32 last year.he has nobody to blame but himself.the last thing i want to hear is some old ba$tard fuming about a couple of plays that didn't work.

shelby
09-22-2003, 06:58 PM
i think we can all agree that TD is really in charge here.

BillsFever
09-22-2003, 07:05 PM
Ralph :monkey: :ontome: GW

The Spaz
09-22-2003, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by SABURZFAN
that old fart should have had Gee Dubya fired after the punt on 4th and 2 at new englands 32 last year.he has nobody to blame but himself.the last thing i want to hear is some old ba$tard fuming about a couple of plays that didn't work.

SHiw some respect for the person who has brought NFL football to this city and not call him an "old fart". he may be old that is a fact but don't make it sound like it is bad.:stick: I do agree however with him meetin gwith the coaching staff and giving them an earful.

Turf
09-22-2003, 09:13 PM
If Ralph is pissed , I'm glad he's pissed. GW is not head coach material, and Gilbride needs his ear pulled with pliers until he learns to run the ball.
Anyone see the special on Gruden on ESPN 2 tonight? His dedication to running game, and details at QB is remarkable. He probably is the best head coach in the game right now, and for years to come.

Pride
09-22-2003, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by Travis Hunter
If Ralph is pissed , I'm glad he's pissed. GW is not head coach material, and Gilbride needs his ear pulled with pliers until he learns to run the ball.
Anyone see the special on Gruden on ESPN 2 tonight? His dedication to running game, and details at QB is remarkable. He probably is the best head coach in the game right now, and for years to come.

Exactly!

helmetguy
09-22-2003, 09:29 PM
There's a reason why there are three former Head Coaches on the current Bills' staff. That reason is the very same as why Gregg "Tennessee" Williams' contract has not yet been extended. Ralph's displeasure over the trick plays are only a harbinger of the Headuphisass Coach's impending doom. In his third year at the helm, and with his "notorious" attention to detail, Williams STILL has yet to demonstrate that he has grown into the job. His post-game explanation of the halfback option disaster is indicative of his refusal to take reponsibility for his own shortcomings. He has yet to gain a grasp on game management.

fushetti
09-22-2003, 09:49 PM
Ralph should be pissed. His organization was embarrassed from top to bottom in front of a national audience. Time for him to "circle the wagons" and take care of business. We're gonna be fine.

MDFINFAN
09-22-2003, 10:24 PM
If that play would have worked you guys would be cheering GW for a great call, actually it had TD written all over it, just a bad throw because of the pressure. The vikings did the same thing last year with moss throwing it and it worked. So it wasn't a bad call, just the execution didn't go correctly, plus it didn't work any better with Drew throwing in the redzone either. So that play wasn't the in all for the game.

Ð
09-22-2003, 10:26 PM
It was a bad call all around. There's no defending walking away without points on that drive.

MDFINFAN
09-22-2003, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by Ð
It was a bad call all around. There's no defending walking away without points on that drive.

I agree that walking away without points was bad, but the call wasn't necessarily bad..the execution was, both on th throw and drews throw..that wasn't the call's fault, especially Drew, he had time to throw it away and not force it. Can't blame that on the coach.

BADTHINGSMAN
09-22-2003, 10:46 PM
Actually if you noticed Henry stepped up into the pressure before he threw.. Forcing him to throw a duck..

LABillsFan
09-23-2003, 02:05 AM
The fake punt the HB option are good plays. Good plays for sub .500 teams in the 4th quarter when everything else has failed

shannon
09-23-2003, 02:35 AM
I feel like it was a good call, it worked for the vikings, you guys lose one game and your already on your coach. This was a must win game for the fish and it was time for that pro bowl defense to start playing like a pro bowl defense. Suck it up and get ready for week 4...:hitself: :hitself:

LABillsFan
09-23-2003, 02:50 AM
Shannon,
This offense doesn't need trick plays it needs a running game. I agree you that it was a must win for Miami and they played one one heck of a game. The Bills won't encounter a D's like Miami's every week so I'm not worried about it but that doesn't mean there isn't a problem and unless addressed it will catch up with them in the very least against KC, Indy and Tenn..

SABURZFAN
09-23-2003, 04:20 AM
Originally posted by shannon
you guys lose one game and your already on your coach.

that's where you're wrong.we've been on him for a while.

Earthquake Enyart
09-23-2003, 07:15 AM
Personally, I like it when Ralph gets mad after we lose.

Dozerdog
09-23-2003, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by MDFINFAN
If that play would have worked you guys would be cheering GW for a great call, actually it had TD written all over it, just a bad throw because of the pressure. The vikings did the same thing last year with moss throwing it and it worked. So it wasn't a bad call, just the execution didn't go correctly, plus it didn't work any better with Drew throwing in the redzone either. So that play wasn't the in all for the game.

The majority pissed and moaned about the fake punt that didn't work- in a game that the Bills wonin a blowout.

He calls the wrong tricks at the wrong times - Plus, now every team we face will be expecting stuff! When we really need to go to the well with that, it won't be there

Pride
09-23-2003, 07:25 AM
Dont forget about the flea flicker in game 1. Reed dropped it, but it really wasnt a necessary play at that point in the game.

So far, we have 1 trick play per game.

GW has to go!

Turf
09-23-2003, 07:28 AM
I hope his wife tricks him for dinner and makes him something he doesn't want.

Earthquake Enyart
09-23-2003, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by Travis Hunter
I hope his wife tricks him for dinner and makes him something he doesn't want.

You've never been married, have you? :eek:

justasportsfan
09-23-2003, 08:33 AM
Those trick plays would've worked if they executed it right. Watch the Eric Moulds show. He said they practiced it and would've worked if our OL blocked properly.

The Sam Morris trick play would've worked too if Morris didn't call his own no. The play was designed to throw to Moore for a few yards . Moore was open as planned but Morris changed the play.

The schemes seem to look like they would work if only the plays do what they are told.

Judge
09-23-2003, 12:14 PM

I agree that walking away without points was bad, but the call wasn't necessarily bad..the execution was, both on th throw and drews throw..that wasn't the call's fault, especially Drew, he had time to throw it away and not force it. Can't blame that on the coach.

It was a bad call whether it worked or not. If it had worked it would have been a bad call that didn't hurt the team. Since it failed it is a bad call that DID hurt the team.

It is the coaching staff's fault hat the call was made. I'd be pissed at the coaches even if the play ahd worked, b/c it was totally inappropriate.

Judge
09-23-2003, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Pride
Dont forget about the flea flicker in game 1. Reed dropped it, but it really wasnt a necessary play at that point in the game.

So far, we have 1 trick play per game.

GW has to go!

Between 1 and 3 trick plays PER SEASON is more than enough to keep opposing D's honest to look out for that. What the Bills coaches are doing w/ trick plays is asinine.

Pride
09-23-2003, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Judge
be pissed at the coaches even if the play ahd worked, b/c it was totally inappropriate.

:up:

Historian
09-23-2003, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by helmetguy
There's a reason why there are three former Head Coaches on the current Bills' staff. That reason is the very same as why Gregg "Tennessee" Williams' contract has not yet been extended. Ralph's displeasure over the trick plays are only a harbinger of the Headuphisass Coach's impending doom. In his third year at the helm, and with his "notorious" attention to detail, Williams STILL has yet to demonstrate that he has grown into the job. His post-game explanation of the halfback option disaster is indicative of his refusal to take reponsibility for his own shortcomings. He has yet to gain a grasp on game management.

Well Put HG!!!

"Headuphisass Coach"...I love you guys' vocabulary!!!:bf1:

The_Philster
09-23-2003, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
Personally, I like it when Ralph gets mad after we lose.

Me too. A lot of the time that happens, the team takes notice and buckles down. If the coaches can do the same thing that players have done in the past, it bodes well.

SFLABill
09-23-2003, 07:34 PM
Amen Shannon

XNOUGHT
09-23-2003, 07:56 PM
I will say something that is for and against GW.

ITS ALL ABOUT EXECUTION!!!

If you can execute, your teams will be unstoppable.

I just explained the NFL. If you can execute every pass, and execute every run, then you will win every game.

The Bills need to work on thier practices.

Stewie
09-23-2003, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by Ð

Dude yer mestaking the outcome from the play with the call... I don't think it was the call, I think it was the execution.

I agree though that there's no excuse for not walking away with points. I blame the OL.. They got embarassed out there.

helmetguy
09-23-2003, 09:33 PM

The timing of the play was bad, the execution was bad, everything about it was bad. Ask anyone on this board and they'll tell you..I'll NEVER mistake Gregg Williams as a genius, or even a competent Head Coach. At his hire, I took a "wait and see" approach after listening to his blather about bringing discipline to the team and bringing assistants who "aren't just coaches, but teachers..." Having made it into the last year of his contract, he should be counting his blessings...he miraculously still has a job...for now!

socalfan
09-24-2003, 12:19 AM
Those plays only make sense when

1) the team has been moving the ball very effectively
2) the team's character is marked by unabashed joy for tomfoolery
3) the play fits the plays called before and after it for at least several series.
4) it's a freewheeling game with anything goes because the teams are scoring.

In the first Jets game last year these plays would have fit in with no ill effect on the team giving it a go.

When you throw them in during a time in a tight game where scoring is low you look like you're desparate. And if stopped the other team gains momentum because you failed in your desparation. If the play succeeds then the other team gains momentum because or your desparation.