• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Throne Logic
    Terry Tate - Outside Linebacker
    • Aug 2002

This offense is not that good - here's why I say this:

Gilbride is a POOR offensive coordinator. He has made a career out of letting big armed QB's throw the ball as much as possible. This leads to an occational "Big Play", which sucks everyone into the myth that the offense is good. This is Bull Turds! Gilbride cannot establish a running game. Without that, you don't have much. Name me the last pro bowl running back from a Gilbride offense.

Drew has many wonderful abilities. It's just that he has this one major shortcoming. Drew has always been able to "take advantage" of mediocre secondary play. This is how it works. In every game, Drew throws a half dozen balls that have the potential to be intercepted. Against lesser talent, those turn into the "Big Play". Against good talent, we see what happened on Sunday night. Might I add, we saw this all last year, and all the way back in Drew's career since his drafting. This tendency gets worse when Drew is feeling pressured or, more specifically, that he must make a play.

It is Gilbride's responsibility, as both OC and QB coach, to avoid putting Drew into situations where he feels he must force a big play. Sunday night, Gilbride did the exact opposite. He should have stuck with the run, using a bit more intelligence on the play calling and a whole lot less imagination.

The first number of offensive plays are always scripted going into the game. Why, in the name of the football gods, did Gilbride SCRIPT a handoff to Sam Gash? Pull this out in the latter stages of the game, maybe. But in the SCRIPT?!?!?!? And what the heck was up with the half-back option? Stick to your damned normal offensive plan until the other team knocks you off of it. This is not a gimmick offense, dammit. Especially against a good defense.

I laughed at Gilbride over a decade ago when he instituted the Run and Shoot in Houston with Warren Moon. It was no coincidence that they made flashy plays all year on their way to a first round loss in the playoffs. I'm sure everyone remembers the January 3rd Wildcard playoff game. Why do you think Houston lost that game? Very simple - no running game. Their lack of ball control allowed Reich and company to score way too many points in a single half.

Gilbride has proven time and again he has no idea how to run an effective balanced offense. We are wasting time with a very talented group of players.
    Still searching for that offensive rhythm.
  • Disgustipatex
    The King Troll himself(Formerly Piltdown Man)
    • Sep 2003

It probabaly doesnt help that Bledsoe seems to pick a WR, and star at him from the time he lines up till the time he gets open, and just throws in his general direction.

"No TH, I aint got no younger hos for you, freak!"

Comment

• The Spaz
      • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Disgustipatex
      It probabaly doesnt help that Bledsoe seems to pick a WR, and star at him from the time he lines up till the time he gets open, and just throws in his general direction.
      Fiedler threw just as many int's so!?

Comment

• Disgustipatex
        The King Troll himself(Formerly Piltdown Man)
        • Sep 2003

Fiedler also did just a little bit better job moving the ball..

"No TH, I aint got no younger hos for you, freak!"

Comment

• iceblizzard69
          Doh!
          • Jul 2002

And one of Fiedler's interceptions was because of a WR being lazy....

Comment

• Dozerdog
            In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
            • Jul 2002

Great analysis-

But one small correction-

The Oilers ran the ball very effectively in that game. Especially in the first half.

Their offense just ran "differently" They use tons of draw plays - they have no TE nor a FB.

One of the Oiler's problems was that Moon and Co sat for ove ran hour- the half, plys 3 straight Bills drives (one ended in an INT for a TD, The Davis TD drive, the onsides kick, and the Beebe TD)

They went right back to what was unstoppable in the first quarter- went 3 and out ( they got cold) and before you knew it Buffalo scored again.

But I agree- in general the Run and shoot was a poor playoff offense- against better secondaries they could slow it down just enough to get he Oilers beat.

Comment

• Halbert
              I'm Not Normal
              • Jul 2002

I can't remember, who was the Bills QB during last season's two wins over Miami?

Comment

• fushetti
                President of the Rick Jeanneret Fanclub
                • Feb 2003

Our offense is just fine. Don't jump off the wagon yet. Does anyone remember back in the first superbowl year when we got whipped by Miami in week 2, 30-7? I think we went 13-3 that year. I think the next year we got whipped in KC on MOnday night and our offense couldn't do **** either that night. Its only one game and its still early. They (the coaches) did alot of stupid stuff last night. Bad play calls and bad execution cost us (Plus an amped up Miami crowd I haven't seen excited in years). All day i've pretty much refrained from watching Sportscenter and reading posts on this board because of this loss. I want to erase it from my memory. Lets focus on the Eagles. We're going to beat them. THE OFFENSE IS FINE!
                "And I do have a wish, albeit one that cannot and will not be fulfilled. I wish... I wish that standing next to me right now, would be Ted Darling."
                Rick Jeanneret 4-14-96

Ted Darling "Voice of the Sabres"

Comment

• Halbert
                  I'm Not Normal
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by fushetti
                  Does anyone remember back in the first superbowl year when we got whipped by Miami in week 2, 30-7? I think we went 13-3 that year. I think the next year we got whipped in KC on MOnday night and our offense couldn't do **** either that night. THE OFFENSE IS FINE!
                  No, this time it's different. I'm telling you the sky is reeeeally falling.

Comment

• helmetguy
                    Touch the helmet for luck
                    • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Dozerdog
                    Great analysis-

But one small correction-

The Oilers ran the ball very effectively in that game. Especially in the first half.

Their offense just ran "differently" They use tons of draw plays - they have no TE nor a FB.

One of the Oiler's problems was that Moon and Co sat for ove ran hour- the half, plys 3 straight Bills drives (one ended in an INT for a TD, The Davis TD drive, the onsides kick, and the Beebe TD)

They went right back to what was unstoppable in the first quarter- went 3 and out ( they got cold) and before you knew it Buffalo scored again.

But I agree- in general the Run and shoot was a poor playoff offense- against better secondaries they could slow it down just enough to get he Oilers beat.

Don't forget, too, that Buffalo scrapped its Dime package in the second half and went to its base 3-4. Moon was shredding the dime zones, which was manned by the entire compliment of DBs Buffalo had on the roster. The 3-4 was better suited to generate more pass rush, and to bottle up Lorenzo White running between the tackles.
                    Someone said "What's he gonna turn out like?" Ha!
                    And someone else said "Never mind!"

-Deep Purple

"Have you ever taken a crap so big your pants fit better?"--Ron White

Comment

• baalworship
                      • May 2003

Gilbride was the right offensive coordinator LAST YEAR. He's good at taking chances and plays high-risk- high -reward. That's why we're fine when we get the lead early, we put teams away.

But if only Gilbride noticed that we have a DEFENSE this year. 3 points is okay. Running the ball two times in a row is ok. Etc. It just seems that our offense should be working with our defense. It's almost as if we have two teams, Gilbride's team and Jerry Grey's. Damn, I've turned into WYS.

:angry:

Comment

• Throne Logic
                        Terry Tate - Outside Linebacker
                        • Aug 2002

I think I'm going to change my User ID to "Buddy Ryan".
                        Still searching for that offensive rhythm.

Comment

• MDFINFAN
                          • Jun 2003

Originally posted by baalworship
                          Gilbride was the right offensive coordinator LAST YEAR. He's good at taking chances and plays high-risk- high -reward. That's why we're fine when we get the lead early, we put teams away.

But if only Gilbride noticed that we have a DEFENSE this year. 3 points is okay. Running the ball two times in a row is ok. Etc. It just seems that our offense should be working with our defense. It's almost as if we have two teams, Gilbride's team and Jerry Grey's. Damn, I've turned into WYS.

:angry:
                          No you're just seeing some of the wisdom in Wys posts..Gilbrite won't run twice, that's a fact unless you guys get 10 yards on the first try, then he comes back to it..but if you get stop for a yard or no gain, the D doesn't have to worry about another run for atleast 10 plays..

Reach for the stars

Comment

• LABillsFan
                            • Aug 2002

He is not head coach material but he does get the offense moving. He had Bettis in Pitt. and he had Stewart in Jax so KG knows how to run the ball. It's only his 2nd year and the Bills have not addressed the runnuing game as of yet unless you include Willis MaGahee. He always had a power back with a mobile QB. This team is made up of A QB who is not that mobile in need of a Thurman Thomas type back. WM, WM, WM give it time. Besides this is not a superbowl team yet it has a good chance to make the playoffs but some are comparing apples to oranges. The elite teams have strength in key areas and The Bills are still 2 - 3 players away. They will be out of cap jail next year and with TD at the helm the future looks bright.
                            I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't repeat myself.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                              Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                              • May 2003

Originally posted by Disgustipatex
                              Fiedler also did just a little bit better job moving the ball..
                              Fiedler moved the ball because Ricky moved the ball. If we develop a running game, Drew will move the ball. If we don't, we can look forward to the same kinds of offensive problems that we experienced in the last 8 games of last season.

Gilbride needs to learn the secret of good offensive football: Run the ball.
                              Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

Working...
                              X