• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lordofgun
    in charge of you

Administrator Emeritus
    • Jul 2002

Maybe Venis was right about Henry?

The Bills have eclipsed 100 yards in team rushing only four times in their last 12 regular-season games, and hardly because Kevin Gilbride, the offensive coordinator, is overly smitten with his passing attack.

Gilbride has been generous in his efforts to revitalize Henry and achieve offensive balance. Henry's response has been a string of tepid performances that make the drafting of Willis McGahee look less like a flier, more like striving to address an anticipated need.

Henry has run the ball 103 times over the last five regular-season games, better than 20 carries a start. Eliminate Sunday's loss at Miami, in which he ran just five times before leaving with a rib injury, and Henry has averaged about 25 carries the last four times out. That equates to the workload of a franchise back. What the Bills have realized in return is production on par with the bottom-feeders of NFL running backs. Henry has amassed 248 yards and a 2.4 yards average over those five games. His 2.3 average this season is the lowest of any back among the top 30 in yards gained. He hasn't had a run of longer than 11 yards since Week 14 last season.

It's not as if Henry has been toiling with circumstances stacked against him. Last season, in Week 15, the Bills were three points down heading into the fourth quarter at Green Bay. They gave Henry the ball 20 times that game. He gave them 46 yards.

In Week 16, the Bills had Cincinnati buried by halftime and rode Henry to the finish line. They gave him 30 carries. His output was 80 yards.

How about this year's opener against New England? Or the Jacksonville game? Weren't those opportunities for a franchise back to pile up yards the way Ricky Williams did for the Dolphins Sunday night? Henry totaled just 115 yards in those two games on 48 carries. The Miami game was a snapshot of more of the same: five carries, 7 yards.

<a href="http://www.buzzdash.com/index.php?page=buzzbite&amp;BB_id=119588">Do you like me?</a> | <a href="http://www.buzzdash.com">BuzzDash polls</a>

• Drewpac
    • Jul 2002

I agree. Henry sucks. Let's re-sign Thurman.

Comment

• colin
      Drew's my hero!
      • Jul 2002

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

so our crazy pass game is the reason why our run game was anything last season?

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

where have I heard that before?

Comment

• lordofgun
        in charge of you

Administrator Emeritus
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Drewpac
        I agree. Henry sucks. Let's re-sign Thurman.
        ...or Ricky Watters.

<a href="http://www.buzzdash.com/index.php?page=buzzbite&amp;BB_id=119588">Do you like me?</a> | <a href="http://www.buzzdash.com">BuzzDash polls</a>

Comment

• L.A. Playa
          • Aug 2003

seems as if last week when i posed the question do you think Henry was benefiting from the defenses keying on the pass everyone thought I was crazy
          now would you rather have henry coming off injury in week 6 or Mcgahee???

since fottball is a game of confidence in what you are doing do you think that maybe the o-line isnt that bad and maybe henry isnt seeing and hitting the holes like he should??? so that has ther confidence down and thats why they look bad ????

Comment

• lordofgun
            in charge of you

Administrator Emeritus
            • Jul 2002

I'd rather not see McGahee at all this year unless absolutely necessary.

Comment

• L.A. Playa
              • Aug 2003

Henry is a good # 2 back but he really only had 6 good games last year. look at the stats in 6 games he had like 870 yards rushing. in the other 10 hed had like 600. thats an average day . for an average back. good but not a franchise back. and remember you dont need a franchise back to win a super bowl. ie antione smithh, patriots. michael pitman, tampa bay. henry just needs to hit the holes get at least 3.2 a carry thats all we really need from our rb

Comment

• L.A. Playa
                • Aug 2003

with the way henry is playing i say its absolutely neccesary

Comment

• muestafa1
                  • Apr 2003

I kinda think that McGahee needs to play this year, if only for a few plays. He's pushed himself to work hard and rehab strongly by focusing on being able to play this year. I think he might incur an emotional let-down if he doesn't reach his goal. Now if he's not physically ready or it will be detrimental to his health, then he sits... but otherwise I think let that motivated running back in there...

Comment

• ryven
                    • Jan 2003

I would love to see willis sit out for the season but I think we will need the help and I do believe he will be ready by week six we can test him in some short yardage plays see how he does but if henry does not pick it up we will need willis to help us.

Comment

• DynaPaul
                      • Sep 2003

I don't know. Right now McGahee is an unproven RB. The guy could be the greatest thing since Thurman Thomas or just another dud in the pile. We won't know until he plays. Henry gets the job done for the most part but he's not a game breaker on the level of Priest Holmes or anything. Also, he's not the sort of RB to let the game ride on. I find it hard to believe he's out 4 - 6 weeks on a rib injury and it does seem like he's quitting a little bit. Only time will tell...

Paul

Comment

• muestafa1
                        • Apr 2003

I wonder what all of this does to Henry's trade value. If he has a sub-par year, will teams be willing to give up a #1 for him? (assuming McGahee becomes our starter and is the best thing since hands-free flushers on urinals)

Comment

• L.A. Playa
                          • Aug 2003

is henry confirmed out for 4-6 weeks???

Comment

• Dozerdog
                            In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
                            • Jul 2002

Th eONLY place I've heard that tossed around is some nutcase on Finheaven....I think it would be all over the wires if that were the case

Comment

• Ingtar33
                              Dances With Buffaloes
                              • Sep 2002

Travis Henry = Lorenzo White

'nough said
                              My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X