PDA

View Full Version : Begin Looking Good

Rhett4NHL
09-23-2003, 02:43 PM
Like Mair last year, I think Begin was almost guarenteed a fourth line spot before he even stepped onto ice the first time at camp. Darcy Regier specifically asked for him in the trade with Calgary, like he specifically went after Mair last year, because he knew what he was getting - a tough, energy player that had the tools to play the game as well.

But with that said, Lindy Ruff just offered up praise for Begin on WNSA that almost all but confirms that he will indeed be given that spot. According to Ruff, Begin has been turning heads at camp with his eagerness to plow through people with their heads down but also his ability to play the game. "The fourth line is going to be filled with energy guys"-so says Ruff.

It looks like the offseason prediction (by most), of a line consisting of Mair, Begin, and Boulton/Peters was dead on.

I'm certainly not complaining.

ILiveInHSBCArena
09-23-2003, 04:46 PM
It'll make some good hokey to watch if it does happen.

Rhett4NHL
09-23-2003, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by ILiveInHSBCArena
It'll make some good hokey to watch if it does happen.

For sure. I don't think anyone will complain with a fourth line that plays hard, hits, stands up for teammates, and plays with the mentality of Adam Mair.

The team will play better for it, too. A physical aspect is a must have for any team.

pyrrhonist
09-24-2003, 04:32 PM
He's doing fairly good, eh? Thanks for the update, Rhett.

That begs the question, then----Where does this put our favorite player on the Sabres, Connolly??

Rhett4NHL
09-24-2003, 04:56 PM
Playing the healthy scratch game with Afinogenov for the RW spot on the third line or in a different uniform.

Ð
09-24-2003, 08:00 PM
Wasn't his dad Prime Minister of Israel or something ?
The ironic part is I believe he took over from Mair :eek:

pyrrhonist
09-24-2003, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by Rhett4NHL
in a different uniform.

This is the part I like the best. Too bad he has never played up to his potential. :flush:

The Spaz
09-24-2003, 08:13 PM
I just wanted to say support our Buffalo Sabres by buying one of these:

http://a1708.g.akamai.net/f/1708/110/8h/images.fanbuzz.com/images/thumbs/450x450/NHL-CELEBRIDUCK-014.jpg?scale=&color=

Why in the hell won't it display the image only the link?:madcurse: :(

Myers57
09-25-2003, 11:29 AM
Rubber Ducky your the one, you make bathtime lots of fun...

This Connolly situation could work out to be the same with Bertuzzi, a late blooming offenseman who leaves one team and becomes a star for another.

I think Connolly is good for another year on and off, I think he should get sent to Rochester, that would really help him turn a curve quickly.

As for the fourth line, the Sabres got what they needed, more aggresiveness.

BTW, whoever won that Peters/Boulton fight?

The Spaz
09-25-2003, 11:33 AM
I think in orer for Connoly to be sent to Rochester he would have to clear waivers because he has played to many games in the NHL. There is no way he would clear waivers someone would just snag him and pray just like that....IMO!:)

Rhett4NHL
09-25-2003, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by SabresBlueAndGold
Rubber Ducky your the one, you make bathtime lots of fun...

This Connolly situation could work out to be the same with Bertuzzi, a late blooming offenseman who leaves one team and becomes a star for another.

I think Connolly is good for another year on and off, I think he should get sent to Rochester, that would really help him turn a curve quickly.

As for the fourth line, the Sabres got what they needed, more aggresiveness.

BTW, whoever won that Peters/Boulton fight?

Okay, Connolly and Bertuzzi=really bad comparison.

Bertuzzi in his first few years might not have been as prolific of a scorer as he was touted (like Connolly) but he had some drive. Bertuzzi has heart to go with that skill. Connolly reminds me of Alexander Daigle. So much talent...so little motivation.

And yes, he'd have to clear waivers to reach the AHL. Personally, I'd package him or dump him off for a 2nd rounder. He could get something in return.

Ð
09-25-2003, 07:36 PM
Bertuzzi reminds me of Lurch from the addams family

http://www.nedrichards.com/lurchtravels/lurch.jpg

Myers57
09-25-2003, 07:58 PM
Obviously Bertuzzi was not that great and could be a comparison to Connolly because he was dumped by the Penguins, I am sure if he was worth anything, they would not have let him go.

I don't know, but I have a gut feeling that if we drop Connolly, he will turn out to be a star somewhere else.

Rhett4NHL
09-25-2003, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by SabresBlueAndGold
Obviously Bertuzzi was not that great and could be a comparison to Connolly because he was dumped by the Penguins, I am sure if he was worth anything, they would not have let him go.

I don't know, but I have a gut feeling that if we drop Connolly, he will turn out to be a star somewhere else.

I don't know if he's got it in him. A trade motivates some guys to reaching their potential, but I think Timmah tends to let everything slide. He's an easy going guy. In fact, he's far too easy going to be an effective hockey player.

He needs to wipe that stupid grin off his 12 year old face and get to work if he wants to stick with this team all year.

Otherwise, he will be the resurrection project of someone else. To be honest with you, it wouldn't bother me all that much because most of those projects don't work out.

We did the same thing with Gratton...and he didn't turn into a star.

For every guy like Bertuzzi that emerges as the next dominant player, there are 5 others that become the next Chris Gratton or even Alexander Daigle.

Connolly came in a weak draft year, too. The top players were Patrick Stefan and the Sedin twins. None of those guys have done a darn thing in the NHL. Simply put, the 1999 draft blew at the top in terms of superstar potential. Connolly is just a piece of that (and Pyatt possibly too though I still hold onto hope with this guy).

The Spaz
09-25-2003, 09:25 PM
Well we know he does have an edge taking swipes with his staick at a player so he can get his emotion up. I think he just has to have that oozing out of him in a controlled long lastingmanor!:)

Rhett4NHL
09-25-2003, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by The Spaz
Well we know he does have an edge taking swipes with his staick at a player so he can get his emotion up. I think he just has to have that oozing out of him in a controlled long lastingmanor!:)

And that time he tried to drop his mits against Jason Blake?

Connolly has acted tough two times in his entire career and never backed it up. Next time he stick swipes Garnett Exelby (like he did to get suspended), I'd like to see him toss the gloves off to settle it one on one. Exelby would tear his head off, but I would give him a standing ovation for courage. I will give him a chance to show me something this year. But it's going to take something extreme to win me over-like jump in to protect a teammate and gets thrashed by a 6'4" enforcer.

The Spaz
09-25-2003, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by Rhett4NHL

And that time he tried to drop his mits against Jason Blake?

Connolly has acted tough two times in his entire career and never backed it up. Next time he stick swipes Garnett Exelby (like he did to get suspended), I'd like to see him toss the gloves off to settle it one on one. Exelby would tear his head off, but I would give him a standing ovation for courage. I will give him a chance to show me something this year. But it's going to take something extreme to win me over-like jump in to protect a teammate and gets thrashed by a 6'4" enforcer.

I never said he does it all the time. I said I would like him to do it more consistently!:idea:

Rhett4NHL
09-25-2003, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by The Spaz

I never said he does it all the time. I said I would like him to do it more consistently!:idea:

I wasn't taking a shot at you. Just continuing to criticize Connolly.

Hopefully, he starts to listen to this criticize and pick up his game.