X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mchurchfie
    • Jul 2002

What's up with Big Mike Williams??

I can understand him still making mental mistakes this early in his career but he has shown no signs of overpowering physical play in his runblocking and sometimes passblocking as of late. Is he thinking too much with all of Gilbride's feakin counter/trap/finesse run plays?? It's pretty bad when you get outplayed by Jamie Nails. This is very troubling to me.
    My Band
    daveviterna.com

• lordofgun
    in charge of you

Administrator Emeritus
    • Jul 2002

Ummm....I thought he was VERY overpowering in the first 2 games...something like 23 pancake blocks according to John Clayton.

<a href="http://www.buzzdash.com/index.php?page=buzzbite&amp;BB_id=119588">Do you like me?</a> | <a href="http://www.buzzdash.com">BuzzDash polls</a>

Comment

• ryven
      • Jan 2003

he just doesnt have sullivan helping him out at run blocking Piculio still has to work on that aspect of his game.

Comment

• Fairway To Green
        • Jul 2002

If only we'd lost to Carolina 2 years ago we'd have Julius Peppers and a complete D instead of Mike. I'm dissapointed in him too.

Comment

• mchurchfie
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by lordofgun
          Ummm....I thought he was VERY overpowering in the first 2 games...something like 23 pancakes
          Not impressed...Nails could eat more than that.
          My Band
          daveviterna.com

Comment

• TedMock
            • Jul 2002

The counter trap was our bread and butter during the "Glory Years". Obviously Henry and Thurman are two totally different styles. Thurman ran toward the line and cut back through the holes. Henry either runs straight into the line or dances around in the backfield. He doesn't seem to be running instinctively. Hit the hole fast and hard! I know he's not a cut back runner but you have to see the holes and adjust. I just don't get it.

Comment

• superbills
              • Mar 2003

Actually I'm kind of upset we got rid of Nails...without Carl
              "Mauk-up-the-line-so-bad-that-our QB-will-die", I think that Nails could have flourished here. That aside, the whole friggin line can't run block to save their lives. You can't depend on Mike to blow the entire opposing D off the line. I'm less worried about him and more worried about grandpa Ruben and Ash-Trey Teague who, IMHO, drag down the line severely.
              "The government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."
              Ronald Reagan
              40th president of US (1911 - 2004)

Comment

• Fairway To Green
                • Jul 2002

ROTFL @ your ricky Wanny picture Church!!!!!!!!

Comment

• don137
                  • Jul 2002

I am not making excuses for Big Mike but I wonder if Buffalo not having a great DE has hurt Big Mike's development to the NFL. If he had a stud DE to go against in practice he could be more developed. As a result it hurts him going against good DE's. The reason I say this is because here in Charlotte Jordan Gross, who was the Panthers number one pick this past year, has progressed tremendously and he is constantly saying it is because he goes against Peppers in practice everyday and so when gameday comes there is nothing he hasn't seen in practice and it is actually easier because the players he goes against are not as good as Peppers

Comment

• Ð
                    1-800-SAD-GOAT
                    • Jul 2002

That shouldn't matter. In the pros, full contact drills/scrimmages against teammates make up only @ 10 % or less of their in-season practice time. If they did more than that, you'd see 5x as many injuries.

Comment

• SABURZFAN
                      short bus extraordinaire
                      • Jul 2002

Re: What's up with Big Mike Williams??

Originally posted by mchurchfie
                      It's pretty bad when you get outplayed by Jamie Nails.
                      Originally posted by yordad
                      Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• Disgustipatex
                        The King Troll himself(Formerly Piltdown Man)
                        • Sep 2003

Nails last season outplayed the vast majority of offensive linemen in the league. How often do you see a Guard pull and take 3 Defenders out of a play? He was a damned road grater before he got injured.

As for a LT getting better practicing against good DE's..I agree. It helps. We've got a 3rd round rookie LT starting, and he's holding his own, and in some cases manhandling Pro Bowl caliber RDE's.

I think the problem is that Williams was playing a guy much better then he usually is up against. How many upper tier DE's do Right Tackles face? Strahan and Pryce are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head. O-gun is simply just a damn good player.

"No TH, I aint got no younger hos for you, freak!"

Comment

• The_Philster
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Disgustipatex
                          Nails last season outplayed the vast majority of offensive linemen in the league. How often do you see a Guard pull and take 3 Defenders out of a play? He was a damned road grater before he got injured.
                          It used to be the only way he took out defenders was by falling on them. But more often than not, the only thing he took out was the buffet table.
                          The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• colin
                            Drew's my hero!
                            • Jul 2002

mike had a bad game, don't trip

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                              Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                              • May 2003

The 4th overall pick should either be your stud left tackle or your road grader on the right on running plays. So far, Big Mike appears to be neither.
                              Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

Working...
                              X