09-24-2003, 12:02 PM
:mad:

Rhett4NHL
09-24-2003, 12:07 PM
A reason for the angry face?

Rhett4NHL
09-24-2003, 12:08 PM
Some details...

Buffalo, N.Y. (September 24, 2003) _ Buffalo Sabres General Manager Darcy Regier announced today the team has agreed to terms with defenseman Jay McKee on a multi-year contract. As is club policy terms of the deal are not disclosed.

“Jay has been an integral part of this organization since being drafted,” said Darcy Regier. “He has developed into a steady and consistent NHL defenseman.”

McKee (26 yrs. old, 6-3, 214 lbs), has been a mainstay on the Buffalo blueline since the 1998-99 season; his first full season in the NHL. He has consistently been among the NHL leaders in hits and blocked shots in each of the last five seasons. This past season, McKee appeared in 59 games (missed 21 with knee injury) and recorded five points. He was drafted 14th overall in the 1995 Entry Draft by Buffalo.

In 1996-97, he appeared in 43 games as a rookie and scored ten points as the Sabres won the Northeast Division title. In 1998-99, McKee played 72 games on the blueline and recorded 204 hits and 129 blocked shots while recording six points and averaged 20:28 minutes of ice time per game. In the 1999 playoffs, he played 21 games as the Sabres won the Prince of Wales Trophy in the Eastern Conference finals before losing to the Stars in the Stanley Cup finals. In 2000-01, Jay paced all team defensemen with 190 hits as the Sabres posted its highest win total (46) in 17 years. In the 2001 Stanley Cup playoffs, he scored the biggest goal of his career in overtime of Game Two at Philadelphia to give Buffalo a 2-0 first round lead in the series.

No word on length or money yet.

Earthquake Enyart
09-24-2003, 12:15 PM
Wish he played with a snarl like Pronger or one of the Stevens brothers. He's a pansy.

Ebenezer
09-24-2003, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
Wish he played with a snarl like Pronger or one of the Stevens brothers. He's a pansy.

ever since that concussion, i agree.

Myers57
09-24-2003, 12:40 PM
Multi-year contract eh?

Hmm, must not be worried about the CBA next season

Rhett4NHL
09-24-2003, 12:56 PM

I think everyone could agree with that, but getting him signed is still good news. He's still one of our best defenseman and the team is better for having him on the blueline.

Earthquake Enyart
09-24-2003, 01:37 PM
Smelik is a better defenseman than McKee.

Rhett4NHL
09-24-2003, 01:40 PM

Apparently you don't watch too much hockey.

clumping platelets
09-24-2003, 01:53 PM
:clap:

Demon
09-24-2003, 01:54 PM

He's not himself ever since the Pens concussion in the playoffs, but noway is he worse then Smhelik. McKee is a solid player, he justs needs to pick up his toughness and he will be fine.

yle
09-24-2003, 02:19 PM

I could outskate Smehlik, and I suck.

David Deboudt
09-24-2003, 02:28 PM
Smelick was a great players a few years ago, when he and Zhitnik would form our first D-line. He was often criticized but I really liked him.

It's good to ahve McKee back 'cause if we're about to put more oofense into our defense, we still need some stay-at-home defensemen and someone who will be there to block the shots, and McKee is the man!

Anyway, I don't see the point to compare Smelcik and McKee. Smelick has retired by the way

:salute:

SkateZilla
09-24-2003, 02:39 PM
hmm 1 down 1 togo... hopefully Satan Is Here in time for hte next game..

Meanwhile Colorado is whooping ass already.,..

Minnasota as well

Rhett4NHL
09-24-2003, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by Demon

He's not himself ever since the Pens concussion in the playoffs, but noway is he worse then Smhelik. McKee is a solid player, he justs needs to pick up his toughness and he will be fine.

Agreed.

From what I heard from him today on WNSA, I think he might be on the right track. According to him, his style of play changed because he was trying to be more offensive, not because of the concussion (though I think that did affect him some). Apparently, he said he now knows his role and what he's there to do. He's a stay at home type guy and hopes to get back to that physical play that made him a factor a few years ago. Ruff seems intent on pairing offensive guys (Soupy, Delmore) with defensive guys. In this case, I think McKee will let the smaller guy do the shooting and pinching, while he does the smashing.

Let's hope he can back it all up.

pyrrhonist
09-24-2003, 04:21 PM
This is good news. I hope, though, as discussed on here a few days ago, they didn't overpay for him.

Of course, our only remaining target now is to get Miro signed. Let's go, Buffalo!

The_Philster
09-24-2003, 04:26 PM
Happy to hear it. It also means his wife sticks around :D
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/attachment.php?s=&postid=96229

Rhett4NHL
09-24-2003, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by pyrrhonist
This is good news. I hope, though, as discussed on here a few days ago, they didn't overpay for him.

Of course, our only remaining target now is to get Miro signed. Let's go, Buffalo!

Here's the cash break down:

2.3 (team option)

SABURZFAN
09-24-2003, 06:30 PM

Originally posted by Rhett4NHL
Apparently you don't watch too much hockey.

:chuckle:

it's going to take a few people time to get used to EE around here.

SABURZFAN
09-24-2003, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by Rhett4NHL

Here's the cash break down:

2.3 (team option)

that's not too bad.if there's only a way we can get rid of that overpriced bum(zhitnik) now.

The_Philster
09-24-2003, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by SABURZFAN
that's not too bad.if there's only a way we can get rid of that overpriced bum(zhitnik) now.

We shoulda gotten rid of him years ago.

Twistmyarm
09-24-2003, 08:26 PM
Smelik is a better defenseman than McKee

EE next time smoke half..put the rest down and save it for later! LOL..

shmelik couldn't defend my Grandmother on a breakaway, and I'd almost bet money her little Sicilian ass could hit harder than him too!

pcnorth22
09-25-2003, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by The_Philster
Happy to hear it. It also means his wife sticks around :D
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/attachment.php?s=&postid=96229

agreed! I went to high school with his wife...she was two years older than me. I was playing JV basketball when she was a varsity cheerleader...me and my teammates would get to the gym hours early to watch them stretch... oh to be 16 again

Twistmyarm
09-25-2003, 09:16 AM
She works out in the same gym I work out at about the same time as me every day, I've talked to her a few times, seems like a really nice girl, and not to hard on the eyes either...:hail:

The_Philster
09-25-2003, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by keepdasabesinbuffalo
She works out in the same gym I work out at about the same time as me every day, I've talked to her a few times, seems like a really nice girl, and not to hard on the eyes either...:hail:

Yeah...helmetguy and I talked to her a few times her last season with the Jills. She's pretty down-to-Earth and easy to talk to. :up:

SABURZFAN
09-25-2003, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by The_Philster

Yeah...helmetguy and I talked to her a few times her last season with the Jills.

who are you kidding Philster?helmetguy couldn't get a word in edge wise.:snicker:

Earthquake Enyart
09-25-2003, 06:16 PM
:chuckle:

it's going to take a few people time to get used to EE around here.

:snicker:

Ever since they cracked down on obstruction, McKee is worthless. His game is hook, clutch, and grab, same as Warrenner. At least Smelik was an average positional defenseman who was in the right place at the right time.

helmetguy
09-25-2003, 08:12 PM
who are you kidding Philster?helmetguy couldn't get a word in edge wise.:snicker:

That the first time I've ever heard that! But, you're right; Philster does get more loquacious around the Jills!

SABURZFAN
09-26-2003, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by helmetguy

That the first time I've ever heard that! But, you're right; Philster does get more loquacious around the Jills!

:lolcry:

what a blabber mouth.:snicker: