PDA

View Full Version : What's the point???

lordofgun
09-25-2003, 09:41 AM
I know anything can happen in a 7-game playoff series, but seriously, what's the point of even playing this year?

Colorado has a freaking all-world dream team. No one's gonna beat them.

I have the current collective bargaining agreement. GO OWNERS! GET THAT SALARY CAP IN PLACE!

The Spaz
09-25-2003, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by lordofgun
I know anything can happen in a 7-game playoff series, but seriously, what's the point of even playing this year?

I have the current collective bargaining agreement. GO OWNERS! GET THAT SALARY CAP IN PLACE!

Isn't that what they say almost every year about the Red Wings, and they lost to Anaheim!:):finfan:

Myers57
09-25-2003, 10:56 AM
Don't worry, this is the last year of unbelievably stacked teams (hopefully). It should all even out next year (if there is a next year).

lordofgun
09-25-2003, 11:15 AM
I hope so. I just don't know what the point is in even watching this year.

Myers57
09-25-2003, 11:21 AM
Watch the Eastern playoffs ;).

Rhett4NHL
09-25-2003, 12:27 PM

Colorado is stacked, but they will fall. Mark my words.

don137
09-25-2003, 01:26 PM
They don't have a proven goaltender. Maybe that will be there downfall...

David Deboudt
09-25-2003, 02:14 PM
I agree, any team can win it all. You don't win a Cup on paper. THe Avs have a nice lineup but goaltending wins in the playoffs. Anyway, this season will be pretty exciting, no matter what! :viking:

Dozerdog
09-25-2003, 02:18 PM
NY Rangers west- to many stars and high paychecks- won't be a lot of defense- especially from the forwards

Rhett4NHL
09-25-2003, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
NY Rangers west- to many stars and high paychecks- won't be a lot of defense- especially from the forwards

I think you nailed part of it. The conflicting personalities and the amount of "super" talent on one team is going to make a mess. The guys are individually wonderful, but I don't think they are going to mesh with eachother very well. Consider an entire line of guys that play like Max Afinogenovs playing for the Sabres. Not very good.

I think the defense will be okay because they have a good unit (Blake, Foote, Morris, Skoula), but if they don't get a goaltender they are going to be in trouble.

They have their weaknesses and won't be able to grind it out in the Western playoffs without getting worn down. Between Dallas, Detroit, Vancouver, and St. Louis, someone is bound to take them down. Plus LA should be better, Anaheim could stick, and Edmonton has killer speed. The West is going to be competitive this year for sure.

Earthquake Enyart
09-25-2003, 06:21 PM

They said the same thing about Detroit last year. :cynic:

Ð
09-26-2003, 09:14 AM
Calgary 6, Bigfoots 0

That's why they play the games...

lordofgun
09-26-2003, 09:17 AM
It's preseason, D. Don't get too excited. :D

SkateZilla
09-26-2003, 10:26 AM
Lmao

We had this Joke last year at the local AHL games..

anyone wearing a DET jersey wed walk up to them and say "so how does it feel to be swept by the mickey mouse club ? "

Granted Colorado has Been scoring tons but its only preseason

Myers57
09-26-2003, 10:41 AM
http://nhl.speedera.net/intheslot/read/mascots/images/wildwing226x301.jpg

pyrrhonist
09-26-2003, 11:47 AM
:lol: :help:

Ugh to that picture, Darryl.

The Cup isn't handed out in the preseason, lord of gun (See aforementioned Detroit references). Like many others are stating, the goaltending is their achilles' heel. I can't see Aebischer coming in and directly filling in Roy's shoes. He'll have offensive support, but their defensive corps is a bit lacking, as well. Today's NHL isn't about offense (Unfortunately), it's about defense, and that godawful trap NJ made famous.

On paper, I'd say Detroit is a better team, anyways. Their offense isn't better than Colorado's, but it is still formidable. Their 3-headed goalie trio is the best in hockey, and their defense is by far and away the most deep (Lidstrom, Hatcher, Chelios, Schneider, Fischer, Dandenault.........and don't forget Wooley :tongue: ). If I was to pick a preseason Cup winner, it'd be them.

I see the Cup Final being Ottawa vs Detroit.

Dozerdog
09-26-2003, 04:58 PM
Cujo gets traded to the first desperate team available-

Rangers if there is an Injury? Philly? Back to Toronto if Belfour flops?

SABURZFAN
09-26-2003, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by don137
They don't have a proven goaltender. Maybe that will be there downfall...

i agree.

BironsGirl43
09-26-2003, 06:24 PM
All I have to say is that.. the games are played on the ice.. not on paper..

Who cares who's stacked and what not..

It means little in the end

*see New York Rangers*

The team that plays the hardest WINS.. not the one with the biggest names..

If this were true.. teams like the Blues and Rangers would be winning the Cup every year.. getting knocked out in the first round and missing the playoffs year after year doesn't make much sense