X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LABillsFan
    • Aug 2002

What is Ruben saying here?

"Joe likes to go downhill," guard Ruben Brown said. "He likes to go straight ahead, and more times than not straight ahead is where you're going to get your most yardage. We had one of the greatest running backs of all time here, and you never saw him taking many pitches and tosses. That guy stayed between the hashes."

Sounds like Ruben wants to be more physical.
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't repeat myself.
  • IHateTheDullphins
    New and Improved!!
    • Aug 2003

Nah, I think he just had some snausages stuck in his throat.
    Leads? Yeah, sure. I'll...uh...just check with the boys down at the crimelab. Yeah, they got four more detectives on the case....we're working in shifts!"

Comment

• The Spaz
      • Mar 2003

Umm that's it.......?!?!?!

Comment

• mchurchfie
        • Jul 2002

That's because he is getting sick of all of those dumba$$ slow developing trap, draw, and finesse run plays that Kevin Kill-the offense-Bride is trying to make them run. The players are thinking too much and aren't playing full out to their ability.
        My Band
        daveviterna.com

Comment

• LABillsFan
          • Aug 2002

That's because he is getting sick of all of those dumba$$ slow developing trap, draw, and finesse run plays that Kevin Kill-the offense-Bride is trying to make them run. The players are thinking too much and aren't playing full out to their ability.
          You may be right!!

Comment

• NC-BILLS44
            • Jul 2002

With the beef we have up front, a little smash mouth football may be just what the doctor ordered.

Comment

• LtBillsFan66
              • Jul 2002

I think he is saying that Burns is a smashmouth back. Which is the same type of back Henry is, IMO.

If Ruben meant Thurman about not taking many pitches and tosses, then I don't know what he's smoking.

Comment

• Halbert
                I'm Not Normal
                • Jul 2002

No he's saying he just runs straight ahead instead of trying to dance around people. That doesn't necessarily mean smashmouth, as Reuben pointed out by referencing Thurman.

Comment

• Halbert
                  I'm Not Normal
                  • Jul 2002

On Thurman taking tosses, of course he did take some but most of his runs were between the tackles. He hit the hole quick and hard with enough power to run through arm tackles so he always got a few yards at a time, sometimes much more. That's the comparision he's making.

Comment

• Dozerdog
                    In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Halbert
                    On Thurman taking tosses, of course he did take some but most of his runs were between the tackles. He hit the hole quick and hard with enough power to run through arm tackles so he always got a few yards at a time, sometimes much more. That's the comparision he's making.

His ability to hit the holes quick made the Bill's K-gun draw play deadly

Comment

• TigerJ
                      • Jul 2002

I thought Ruben was talking about Greg Bell. I think part of Travis Henry's problem is that he forgot that he's that kind of back. As Ingtar observed, Travis is hesitating, looking for the bigger hole that might net him ten yards instead of hitting the smaller hole that might get him three yards. When he hesitates the holes are closing up so he tries to bounce outside, but the plays are breaking down by then so he gets nothing. Travis has more athletic ability than Burns, but he needs to start running like Joe again.
                      I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• helmetguy
                        Touch the helmet for luck
                        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Halbert
                        Thurman also had the patience to wait for a hole to open, and the vision to look for others before taking off blindly toward the line, in direct contrast to TH. TH really begins looking around after he's already committed.
                        Someone said "What's he gonna turn out like?" Ha!
                        And someone else said "Never mind!"

-Deep Purple

"Have you ever taken a crap so big your pants fit better?"--Ron White

Comment

• DIHARD2
                          • Sep 2002

Trap blocks and pulling guards are great once in a while, and the pulling guard is more for when you have small guards who are quick. We have a line that should be able to move most defenses out of the way and open up holes straight ahead for the back's. The trick and specialty plays is taking the concentration away from our linemen to wear offsides or movement is called constantly on us. I'm sorry but Henry is a straightforward power back and that is the type of plays we should be using. And once in a while use a cross block just to keep the defense honest. I agree with Ingtar take on Henry, at least I hope it is that and, not the fact that, early in last year season everyone was trying to shut down Bledsoe and his passing attack, which gave Henry a lot of yardage because of the way the defenses were playing us.

GOOooooo!!!...BUFFALOOOOooooo!!!!!.....
                          "The right of free speech is the God given right of each man to make an ass of himself." B Franklin

Comment

• The_Philster
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by helmetguy
                            Thurman also had the patience to wait for a hole to open, and the vision to look for others before taking off blindly toward the line, in direct contrast to TH. TH really begins looking around after he's already committed.
                            Kinda like Antowain started doing in 98
                            The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• LABillsFan
                              • Aug 2002

Does anyone have tapes of the games? I'd like to know 3 things
                              1.)Is his head down when he gets to the line of scrimmage?
                              2.) Is his head up looking for where he is supposed to run?
                              3.) Is he scanning the line trying to figure out where he should run?

To me Ruben mentions JB's style of running as well as Thurman's, but he made no inference to TH in that statement and I can't remember if he has in the past. You could read it as displeasure with TH and his style. Quit dancing and get to the hole.

Comment

Working...
                              X