PDA

View Full Version : Why we don't even try to establish a run.

BledsoeRocks
09-24-2002, 10:27 AM
We all agree that you have to stick with the run if it does not work if you want to establish a running game. It takes patience and likely a few punts. I have the feeling Gilbride wants a running game but feels under bigtime presure to score because he does not trust our Defense to get him the ball back. Frankly, I don't either.

LtBillsFan66
09-24-2002, 10:39 AM
We did vs. the Jets.

Herdwatcher
09-24-2002, 10:47 AM
Gilbribe is the only one right now that should have an answer.
No matter what the running game is like next week, I want to hear Q @ A's on the subject.

BledsoeRocks
09-24-2002, 10:47 AM
The running game worked against the Jets. I am saying if it does not work right away he just says the hell with it.

WG
09-24-2002, 10:49 AM
The Jets suck. Even the Vikes played better D than the Jets. The Jets are allowing EVERYONE to run on them. Denver's rush D is much better than both of those teams.

Unfortunately, we don't have the luxury of playing a D like the Jets that is ranked 31st and allowing an average of 172 rushing yards per week. When you look at it from that perspective, Henry didn't even get the average v. the Jets.

I don't even know why that game is used as a comparison. At this rate, the Jets will be 3-13 by years end. Honestly, their D is worse than ours!

LtBillsFan66
09-24-2002, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by BledsoeRocks
The running game worked against the Jets. I am saying if it does not work right away he just says the hell with it.

Right. And if you score the way we have, then why f with it?

We've put up enough points to win games. The d has to step up.

WG
09-24-2002, 10:53 AM
On why we don't establish the run:

It's tough when all you get is a yard, or -1, or no gain to keep going to the well. We all talked about getting ahead in the game. We can't sit there and try to "force the run" by giving Henry carries that largely go for no gain or a yard or two, while the other team is successful putting points on the boards.

If we did that, then before you knew it, we'd have punted three times while the other team has 10 or 13 or 17 points on the board and then we have to play catchup.

We don't need a RB who gets 17 yards once, then 1, 0, or -1 on the next 10 carries. We need 3, 4, 5 every time. Or more, but these runs that simply expire a down are too costly considering that we don't have a good enough D to keep other teams from scoring much. The absolute last thing we can afford is to put teams that have a rushing game ahead of us by 10 or more points allowing them to then run more. That's self-defeating.

We don't always want to have to "come back" to win games. I'd like to go up by 10 or more and stay there for a change.

BledsoeRocks
09-24-2002, 10:54 AM
For once I agree WYs on something!