PDA

View Full Version : How Come Drew isn't....

WG
09-24-2002, 11:02 AM
...throwing his patented 20-25 yard outs much this year?

He tosses those better than anyone in the game today. About 20 or so yards downfield, and zap, hits the WRs on the out-of-bounds routes. He's a master at it.

Clearly it has to do w/ the play calls. I am just puzzled why we are not capitalizing on his strongest pass much so far. There's been some, but not enough IMO.

Judge
09-24-2002, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Wys Guy

He tosses those better than anyone in the game today. About 20 or so yards downfield, and zap, hits the WRs on the out-of-bounds routes. He's a master at it.

Clearly it has to do w/ the play calls. I am just puzzled why we are not capitalizing on his strongest pass much so far. There's been some, but not enough IMO.

Another contrived thread.

Do you WATCH the games, Wys? If you do, do you notice how Drew tries to look downfield FIRST on nearly every throw, and then looks to the dump-off safety valve?

He's been hitting the WR's downfield pretty regularly, quite frankly. That's why he has more than 1000 yards already. He is a master at what you're saying, and he's doing it.

Ð
09-24-2002, 11:07 AM
Wys, give your head a shake. Do you lay all your cards out on the table at the beginning of a poker game ?

We've still got 13 more deals (maybe more) to go :D

WCoastFin
09-24-2002, 11:21 AM

Wys.....see "Reality Check" thread.

WG
09-28-2002, 11:43 AM
Gentlemen,

I've been watching Drew for years! The pass that I'm talking about is a simple out pattern ~ 20 yards downfield. Upon catching the ball, the WR steps out of bounds.

He's not thrown many of those, even as my Pats bud has mentioned. He's tossed some. This isn't meant as a criticism. But it is his best throw w/o a doubt. For years he's been the master at it.

There are times when it comes in handy, and it's during those times that I've noticed that we're going downfield first, in the case of the Vikes game, almost to our detriment if Drew doesn't hit Moulds for that TD on the last play of that drive.

That's in the play-calling, not Drew's decisions. I'm tellin' ya, I'm gonna be watchin' KG's play-calling. I'm not lettin' Drew take the heat for nonsense PCing.

Creemoredrinker
09-28-2002, 01:38 PM
....That's in the play-calling, not Drew's decisions. I'm tellin' ya, I'm gonna be watchin' KG's play-calling. I'm not lettin' Drew take the heat for nonsense PCing.

:bandwagon

How can you NOT be happy with what Kevin Gilbride has done so far this year?

The_Philster
09-28-2002, 02:50 PM
Wys likes to keep us grounded with his pessimism and our eyes tired with his long posts. :D

BlackJohn
09-29-2002, 02:28 AM
I have to agree with Wys here, at least partly.... I've watched drew very closely for years (actually USED to be a NE fan because of him ... but thats another story) and that is what he absolutely does best. The thing is though he's had a lot of success right now doing just abot everything, but i dont think i've seen that throw nearly enough in crucial situations .... i.e 3rd down and long

However remember that OT TD was a result of the bills making an adjustment on a route that the vikes were jumping. Maybe its the out that they were jumping? ... I don't remember. That would make sense wouldn't it? You'd want to take away a qb's strength especially if you haven't seen very much of a new offense.

However KG does seem very good at taking input from players and making adjustments. He's done it twice already, and very successfully i might add.I think the best sign of a good coordinator is one who trusts his players.

mybills
09-29-2002, 07:26 AM
Has anybody noticed that he's still holding on to the ball too long, like he did in N.E.? I'm not bashing, I'm just asking. It has always bothered me that he does that. He's not as bad as he used to be about it, but IMO he 'is' still doing that.

Alluro
09-29-2002, 08:20 AM
Jeezus Wys, you should have kept the title of this thread but changed your initial post to one word...PERFECT. You guys all need to get off drew's back, he is leading the entire NFL in passing yds and is the only reason we are a competitive team. Why don't we just start threads that read "How come drew isn't putting up better numbers than the 1984 Dan Marino?"

mybills
09-29-2002, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by Alluro
You guys all need to get off drew's back, he is leading the entire NFL in passing yds and is the only reason we are a competitive team.

That is so untrue. He is <b>not</b> the only reason! :eek:

WG
09-29-2002, 10:41 AM
Cree,

"How can you NOT be happy with what Kevin Gilbride has done so far this year?"

That's a simple one! What has Gilbride actually done? A little in the Denver game maybe. But other than that, our success has NOT come from and due to any creativity in the play-calling. It's come largely from talent mismatches! Which team in the league has the DBs to contend w/ Moulds, Price, Reed, AND JR etal.? While you guys are high on Gilbride, that's the one thing that I'm not saying stinks, but surely, he hasn't done anything spectacular either.

As BlackJohn said, he's "turned it over to his players." What do you think that means? It has been his exceptional mind that has been the key for success of this offensive unit? Talk about trying to take something away from Drew & Co.! No, I'll give Drew the credit for his own performances this season so far.

My question is regarding why on earth we don't use Drew's favorite and best toss much here in Buffalo?? That is on Gilbride! Sound like good OCing to you? It doesn't to me!

mybills, you got it right; Drew is holding onto the ball a little too long at times. That's why about half the sacks. He's making up for it w/ big plays however, so the criticism doesn't fall and it's more easily overlooked.

Alluro,

I have no idea what you're talking about. In case you haven't been around much, I've been one of Drew's most vocal "pro"-ponents! I've stated numerous times that it's b/c of him that we're doing anything at all offensively. NOT Gilbride on that same statement!

As well, just as in N.E., yards are not everything. You'll notice that Drew has the most yards, but not the most TDs. 6,000 yards and 22 TDs is not as good as 3,200 yards and 35 TDs, is it?

That's not meant to be a criticism in the least. But there's this notion, particularly during the off-season, that somehow yards necessarily translate into points. Well, they don't, necessarily.

Drew is on pace for around 5,000 yards and 32 TDs w/ only 10 INTs. I'm expecting that by year's end, he'll have near that; Say, 4,700 yards, 32 TDs, 18 INTs. THAT would be an outstanding season, and as I've already said numerous times before, clearly indicative that Drew's playing the best football of his career. And he is!

WG
09-29-2002, 10:42 AM
Tough crowd...

:D

Alluro
09-29-2002, 04:49 PM
Any more Drew Bashers out there? ...Wys? any takers??

Drewpac
09-29-2002, 05:30 PM
Drew stinks! If he would have thrown a touchdown pass at the end of regulation we would have never gotten that kick blocked! Also, Gilbride should have never drew (no pun intended) up that field goal to go straight up the middle. He should have had Hollis hook it around the lineman. That was such a stupid and un-original call. And don't even make me start talking about Eric Moulds' terrible play! :)

Bufftp
09-29-2002, 06:13 PM
Man Drew was awfull today, only 4 td's and his completion % was under 80%. We really blew it on that trade, I hope Ralph wakes up and cans TD for that move .

Drewpac
09-29-2002, 08:34 PM
"Man Drew was awful today, only 4 td's and his completion % was under 80%. We really blew it on that trade, I hope Ralph wakes up and cans TD for that move ."

This is especially true when you consider what the Bills gave up in favor of Bledsoe. Rob Johnson averaged 4 ypc today(1 att, 4 yards) for the Bucs. Let's see Bledsoe average over 4ypc during a game this year. I don't think so!
Also, it's obvious that Bledsoe only cares about his quarterback rating and not winning. Once again, Bledsoe routinely took sacks (2 sacks) rather than throw the ball downfield and risk the interception. Lucky for Bledsoe, his numbers were inflated by great runs after the catch by his receivers, as demonstrated on the game winning catch/run by Henry. I think we can honestly say that we shouldn't attribute that touchdown to Bledsoe.
And for the sake of argument, his other 3 TD's really shouldn't count towards his stats either since they all came within five yards of the endzone. I'm 100% positive that Travis Brown could have made the same throws and they probably would have looked nicer coming out of his hand.
It's also safe to say that the completion to Moulds in overtime would have been picked off if RW McQuarters were playing for the Bears. So, after making these adjustments, Bledsoe's day really looks more like this:
27-36
218 yards
0 TD's
1 INT